All Topics / General Property / Is money the root of all evil??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

I read somewhere that it wasn’t.. but the lack of it was. So true… I caught a taxi home from the airport this morning. I had a substantial amount of cash on me which was going towards my mortgage repayment.. and left my wallet in the taxi :( My mortgage payment is directly debited in a couple of days.. and the full amount won’t be there.. I’ve called a bunch of taxi companies (as I didn’t take note of which company the car belonged to) and they’ve sent out a message advising of my lost property. I called the airport security wondering if they could have a look at the surveillance videos of the location I hailed the taxi from and was told that this would be illegal without a police request.. fair enough. Two hours have gone past and I haven’t heard a word.. I keep going out to the front of my unit everytime I hear a car pull up or someone honking a car horn hoping it’s the taxi driver. :( I know it’s my carelessness that’s at fault.. but this little mishap along with my unit being broken into a few months ago with a VERY LARGE amount of money being stolen from it has upset me quite a bit.. just when I get to a position where I’m ok something bad happens which puts me back to the bottom [glum2] My girlfriend’s pretty upset but she’s so supportive.. I guess even with all these bad things happening I’m a pretty lucky guy to have someone like her.. [blush2] Back to square one for me..

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Newgen,

I am so sorry to hear about your mishap; I hope the finder of your wallet is “honest and decent” enough to return it (one can but hope).

I don’t want to get into whether money (or lack of it) is the root of all evil, but I think your little experience this morning has certainly emphasised the fact that experience always comes at a cost….and in your case (unfortunately) it was quite a large sum!!!

Bet you won’t make that mistake again!!!!

Chin up….sounds like you are blessed in many other ways (ie. your girlfriend).

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Why do you carry cash? I never have more than $100 in my wallet. All my property transactions are done automatically and I am paid straight into my bank account.

Bad luck just follows some people.

Hopefully an honest atxi driver will come a knocking. I lost a good camera once in the back of a Taxi and never saw it again. Shit happens.

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Hi guys,
    Hi Jo, I guess the best lessons are learned the hard way [blush2] You know there’s always a saying for every situation? lol Here’s one:

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives you the test before presenting the lesson.

I am very blessed to have my girlfriend.. even though she’s still very upset at the moment it’s something that’ll make us stronger I guess [inlove]

Hi Yack, I try not to carry large amounts of cash around too often. Also lately I’ve been trying to use my credit card for purchases and paying it off when my pay comes through (which is monthly) so that I don’t carry cash with me. I’m doing this as I’m the typical shopaholic.. i.e. if I have money on me I HAVE to buy stuff [xmas]

You’re right about the bad luck thing.. but I guess I can’t use that excuse this time around as it was my own carelessness and stupidity that got me in this mess.

I still haven’t heard anything from the taxi company yet.. I lost hope after the first half hour. I was thinking that if he was going to return my wallet he would have come back to my place already. [glum2]

Thanks for the responses guys, it means a lot to me that you’ve taken the time to respond. There are nice people out there [biggrin]

Profile photo of hotshothotshot
    @hotshot

Hey newgen that sux man!
    Hope ya get it back!
    Mybe next time don’t carry to many $$$ [blush2] that wya ya can’t loss much if it happens again!

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the mishap.

Just a heads up on the topic though… the phrase actually comes from scripture. The full reference is:

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
    – 1 Timothy 6:10

Note it is the love of money rather than money by itself.

While we’re on the topic, here’s something else to consider:

Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.
    – Ecclesiastes 5:10

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Gotta agree with Steve…

God is always right…

I love to see Biblical quotes used in context!

Sorry for the loss Newgen, sounds like you’re having a rough time. There are heaps of honest people out there – here’s hoping one of them helps you out.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Newgen, i felt sick in my stomach when i read you post.

These are the times when our true strength is tested. It’s Ok to feel S**t house.You must feel awful,Don’t let people put you down by saying’ why were you carrying that much money’. Who cares, you just were, you lost it…now what?

Thank God for your health, give thanks for your beautiful girlfriend and your strong relationship, give thanks for your health, for the knowledge you are gaining,Give thanks for everthing that you possess and that you CAN’T lose. These are the things that make you who you are, not money, that’s a bonus, it’s not the reason you live!

Ok breathe deeply, own it, vomit and move on !

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Thanks for all the replies everybody, you guys rock [thumbsupanim] It’s been a tough couple of days.. my girlfriend’s taking it pretty well considering. The good news is that we went and did our tax returns today and we’ll be getting pretty decent returns so we won’t be struggling for too much longer. [specool] The bad thing is the girlfriend’s got the upper hand for a while.. [thumbsdownanim lol

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

NEWGEN,

Amazing that there might be some people who’d nick a wallet :o( I remember at work one day, a guy who I worked with said that he and his wife got a big “bonus” one day when they found a wallet with 500 bucks in it. The wallet also had ID in it, but they chose to keep the money. I couldn’t believe this guy was bragging so openly about stealing someone’s money! It was one of the most disgusting things I had heard. Epilogue: They guy has now left our workplace [biggrin]

Maybe the wallet fell behind the seat of the taxi… I lost a bunch of keys in a taxi once and they couldn’t be found- can’t imagine anyone would nick a set of keys. Maybe taxi seats are like lounges in shared households- all full of treasures that noone ever finds.

Or maybe someone will have a pang of conscience and hand it back in- I hope so :o))

kay henry

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

this is a wacky one, but you could go to a hypnotist or hypnotherapist and try and get regressed to when you were back in the taxi, and then *look* around the taxi -from your subconscious memory- to see the taxi number. Because actually the memory of the wallet and what you did with it and when you last had it is still within you, and the taxi number even if you just glanced at it is there – you just need to access it!!

You could at least then pinpoint the driver and cab.

However, I guess you still couldn’t tell if the driver had it or if the next passenger got it….

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I think this is a good example of why we should take taxi drivers’ photos when we get in their taxi- a “smile (just in case)” thing [hair2]

kay henry

@sonja

Just on the topic of taxi drivers… (sorry to the many honest and hard working ones out there).

<Sorry everyone but I’ve decided to edit the details of the story. Basically a taxi driver took us the long way home when we were too out of it to save ourselves.>

Our fare was about five times what it usually would have been but it was a lesson. Even in a taxi there needs to be a designated passenger to ensure you get home safely!

Cheers
    Sonja

@wallflower

Sonja, Look at moie, LOOK AT MOIE , Ive got one word for you Sonja ‘WIPEOUT’

@sonja

Yeah Wallflower, it was a pretty sad state of affairs but it was a long while ago (Don’t know how I survived my late teens really). I thought I’d inflict the story on you guys to illustrate one of the reasons I’m wary of taxi drivers (and because I seem to have fits of compulsive posting every now and then). It also makes carrying large amounts of cash seem a relatively sane thing to do! Let us know how you get on Newgen.

Cheers
    Sonja

@wallflower

Hey Sonja, I’s not about where you’ve been, but about where your heading…have your eyes firmly fixed on the prize and fight like mad to attain it.

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Newgen,
    I have done a LOT of careless things, so I know that feeling of waste too well.

It always helped me to think of other people who have done really dumb stuff. I mean money comes and goes but it’s not like you:

Drank and drove and killed close loved ones in an accident.

Lost temper and killed someone and gone to jail…death row.

Dived into a shallow pool and suffered permanent painful injuries.

Took a crazy trip over to Iraq and became a torture boy for angry locals.

I found that sometimes what can seem like the end of the world, is easily fixed with a perspective change. If even for the time you can think about others problems. There is ALWAYS someone who is doing it harder.

Chin up.[cowboy2]

lifexperience

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi Newgen
    I’m saddened to hear your tale of woe. I’m trying not to state the obvious here or cause any further upset so please bear with me.
    I can offer no thing but sympathy about the wallet. I lost mine on a river boat in the UK. Well not actually “in” the boat. I may have consumed one too many ales and lost my balance! When I climbed back on to the boat my wallet was gone and it was dark. So that was that.
    With the money stolen from your unit, again sympathy. Luckily not me this time, but a mate. As soon as she told me about the theft, I went out and bought 2 safes, one for her & one for us. Now I have a safe, I wonder how I was able to sleep at night without one. Not just for cash, but any easily portable valuables. I keep computer backup discs in there and the little, priceless, sentimental stuff you tend to collect.
    Sorry, I still seem to have stated th obvious, but if others read this, it may mean it won’t happen to them.

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

Profile photo of Supa FreakSupa Freak
    @supa-freak

Barnsey, Howd ya be if you had the bl**dy safe in your back pocket ??

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi Supa Freak
    Answer:- Bulging front AND back!(lol)

Seriously,
    Wallet – paragraph 2
    Safe – paragraph 3

Judging by the time of your post you may need a “Supa Sleep!!!”

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.