All Topics / Opinionated! / Anyone use a Laptop?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Does anyone here use a laptop. I imagine you do, but how many of you get online while using the laptop. But not online in the house but in the car and somewhere else, like a caravan or travelling?

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Jaffasoft,

i dont have a computer, but do have a laptop and have it running 24/7, do take everywhere for example, travelling, going round to a mates places… main uses are for email and trading… (and for forums… lol)

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Cool stil in school good to hear.

So how do you get online, i mean can you get online in the car for instance?

Also P.S. Did you notice yourself in the latest My Mortgage Magazine?

Jaffasoft

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Hi jaffasoft,
    I also use laptop. I can dial up from any landline, use my mobile phone via infra red (gprs costs 1c per 1kb) ok for emails and bank checks.

There is also some wireless thingy card available to magically connect from anywhere at any time (wireless). I don’t use it though.

If you are thinking about a laptop check TGP website, they do bargains.

lifexperience

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

LifeX, The wireless Thingy is called ‘blue tooth capabilities’. I thing it costs a fair bit and should only be used if you have low self esteem and want to show of in the departure lounge of an airport.

@lifex

Yeah… actually I find I get a bigger response from airports when I levitate in the air and connect to the web via ESP, humming wooooooo oooooooo woooooooooooooo ooooooooooo wooooooooooo oooooooooooo.

Hasnt Bluetooth only got a range of 15m ?

[drummer]

lifexperience

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Wallflower, I think you mean wireless LAN…. not bluetooth….

Wireless network has a range of up to a max of 1km….. but usually only say, 2-300 metres…..

Thats what most laptops have nowadays, BUT you need to be close to a wirless network hub to be able to connect…..

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

What’s the address of that web site?

TGP.com.au goes nowhere.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Yep….Laptops are very useful (marriage and sanity saving tools) especially when travelling in the car (as a passenger)!!! Instead of listening to (and arguing to turn down) that “head-banging noise pollution” [rolleyes3] my husband likes to call music, I just turn away and concentrate on getting a few things done on the pc instead!!! [whistle]

Jo

@lifex

Woops,

TPG.com.au

Check it

lifexperience

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Jaffasoft,

mainly only ever use it to network and send data back and forth between mates computers… especially, when playing some LAN games, never have used it for wireless internet, though i know if you need to check your emails you can do that through the phones GPRS, mainly, its more of an office tool, that i cant live with out, (well.. internet.. lol), but nothing really special i do with it, its honestly like a filing cabinet for me, just holds sentive documentation and data… more of just an office work tool…

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Scott , so whats blue tooth then?

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Wallflower,

Bluetooth is also for connecting devices together, but is not used for network or connecting to the Internet as such….

You’d use bluetooth on your laptop to connect to your mobile phone, to then dial the net……

Bluetooth only has a 20m range as well….. and not all laptops have it…. but wireless lan IS in most new laptops now…..

cheers

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

The day an ISP provides a local call mobile phone rate to connect online to the internet, will be the day LapTop Internet will boom.

Otherwise it’s pretty dear.

Thanks for the info SIS.

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

My best freind? My laptop! I am on the road 300 days a year, I take my DVD’s and set up the Infinity speakers for a good night in at the motel room! Its like having your own movie theatre at your feet so to speak.

I use it as my mobile office for sure. If i forgot my lappy it would be like loosing my first born[blink].
    You cant depend on the motel lines so I go mobile. In city centre’s there are hot spots popping up all over the place it is truly amazing to witness what is coming…information overload, its awesome!!

I also use wireless with the http://www.three.com.au deal 500meg transfer for $99 cap as well as the motorola A925 (what a phone/pda/gprs/TOY!

Now that you have me started did you know that Intel has already introduced nano technology to their new processors? By 2006/2007 we will all be using a minimum 10ghz processing chipset!!!!woohoooooooooooooo

Now all i need is that program to be developed for next weeks lotto numbers…….[blink]

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Javvasoft,

I work for the university and we’ve put in wireless networks now for students using their laptops. They can use it the main buildings of the university such as in the large computer labs, the lounge area and the cafeteris.

Telstra and Optus both have wireless now installed in the CBD of Melbourne. Not sure about Telstra but Optus is $11.00 per hour but you have to have an account with them first and then u can use it almost anywhere in the CBD.

Kind Regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I new Nano technology was going to be big, but i didn’t know it was going into computers as well.

Can’t wait until the day when I can use a LapTop and get online anywhere while travelling, I want to be able to connect up a projector screen in a van and web design while travelling and outside peoples businesses parked.

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious
    Originally posted by Jaffasoft:

I new Nano technology was going to be big, but i didn’t know it was going into computers as well.

Can’t wait until the day when I can use a LapTop and get online anywhere while travelling, I want to be able to connect up a projector screen in a van and web design while travelling and outside peoples businesses parked.

Why wait, you can embrace the technology right now! So go for it!

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of bellboybellboy
    Participant
    @bellboy

Hi Javvasoft, can’t resist inputing my two cents worth here. I think I have something additional to add. I use only a lap top and have a Big Pond ADSL connection at my unit in Cairns. As part of the Big Pond service I have added (pay for) an addtional feature (as they call it) which is *roving-adsl*

In a nuthshell this just means that me and all the others using this service are allocated a special dial up number to use when we are travelling. For example if I am in a motel halfway to Brisbane I can just plug in my laptop to the bedside telephone and dial up this special number and “whammo” I get my high-speed dial up connection from where ever I happen to be. Not sure if you can get this service from other ISP’s but you can from Big Pond. So there’s a free plug for what I consider to be a service I cannot live without. I also have a satelite connection at my remote property outside of Cooktown…but that’s another story. But hey get yourself a good lap-top and you don’t need anything else. Cheers from: bellboy

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Yeah, but that doesn’t allow you to travel and use the laptop in a car, it’s for a boat that I’m aiming to use it in.

I have had a local call from anywhere in Australia for ages now, dodo.com.au do 56K dial up anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call. I’ve had it connected to three different houses at once and used it when ever I’m at those houses and in a motel room ( when I had a LapTop before GF stole it).

I just found out over the weekend that BigPond have a Two-Way Satalite service, which means you don’t have to have a phone line at all, so no mobiles, no phone line, no nothing, just the set up for the satalite. But its a bit expensive $130 a month for 64k and 300MB download +18c extra per MB(that’s the min plan). I would go way over that limit instantly. And the set up cost is fairly high to, 24 month plan. But this is the sort of system I won’t.

And I think this is the sort of system people will go for eventually, because more and more [the only reason for people to have a regular phone line is] to be able to connect to the internet. More and more regular phone users are using mobiles for there normal phone calls.

So Two-Way Sat is the go! Now that I know what it is, i will search around for other places that have better deals.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.