All Topics / Forum Frolic / Looking for nice people

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi all

Just wondering, what nice deed have you done for someone lately?

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Pressed the ‘delete’ button instead of the ‘Post New Reply’ button[laughing]

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but better to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming . …… Hell, what a trip !!”

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Leigh

Not too many nice deeds out there. I know someone who lent $20,000 interest free to a guy so he and his family could buy their first home. The homebuyer was able to find a great deal also.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

yestereday (wednesday) i helped a complete stranger push start his car, in the main street of queanbeyan.
    cars honking all around us etc. very funny at the time.
    cheers
    shaun

Lead, Follow or get out of the bloody way

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

This was not my experience, it was a story recently sent to me …

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning disabled children, the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never beforgotten by all who attended.

After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a
    question. “When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the natural order of things in my son?”

The audience was stilled by the query.
    The father continued. “I believe, that when a child like Shay comes into the world, an opportunity to realize true human nature presents itself, and it comes, in the way other people treat that child.”

Then he told the following story:

Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, “Do you think they’ll let me play?” Shay’s father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play, it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging. Shay’s father approached one of the boys on the field and asked if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and, getting none, he took matters into his own hands and said, “We’re losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we’ll try to put him in to bat in the ninth inning.”

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay’s team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the outfield. Even though no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay’s team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on baseand Shay was scheduled to be next at bat.

At this juncture, let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat. Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible ’cause Shay didn’t even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball. However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher moved in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least be able to make contact.

The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball right back to the pitcher. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have been the end of the game.

Instead, the pitcher took the ball and turned and threw the ball on a high arc to right field, far beyond the reach of the first baseman.

Everyone started yelling, “Shay, run to first! Run to first!”
    Never in his life had Shay ever made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled. Everyone yelled, “Run to second, run to second!” By the time Shay rounded first base, the right fielder had the ball.

He could have thrown the ball to the second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher’s intentions and intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman’s head.

Shay ran toward second base as the runners ahead of him deliriously circled the bases toward home.

Shay reached second base, the opposing shortstop ran to him, turned him in the direction of third base, and shouted, “Run to third!” As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams were screaming, “Shay, run home!”

Shay ran to home, stepped on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the “grand slam” and won the game for his team.
    “That day,” said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, “the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity into this world.”

Maybe doing something just to be nice will put a smile on many faces.

Cheers
    LeighK[biggrin]

Profile photo of Hux001Hux001
    @hux001

Great story Leigh. We’re a little bit thrilled at the moment because we recently donated $5K to the IOM (International Organisation for Migration) so a family of 2 adults and 2 kids from Sudan (who have been given an immigration visa) can fly to Australia to start a new life and get out of a hell hole refugee camp in Sudan.

My wife (who is often my conscience) suggested we should help and although it left me a little short for one of my recent property purchases, like many Aussies we’ll get by ok and in the bigger picture it’s not really that much money, but to think we can make such a change to someones life in a practical way does excite us. They are due to arrive on August 17 so we’re looking forward to it very much.

The local Sudanese community in the western suburbs will be looking after them after they get here, so hopefully they’ll settle well and the memories of the terrible things happening in their homeland will fade.

It’s a wonderful thing having a succesful business and access to more money. While we’re a long way from being what many would call wealthy, we do think about how lucky we are to be living in this country and embracing it’s opportunities.

I read in the August edition of Money Magazine that Bill & Melinda Gates gave a charitable donation of $8,400,000,000.
    And after hearing John Burley the other night talk about responsibility with charitable giving I take heart that there are many in the world exceedingly well off but also with a good heart.

Like they say “It’s round to make it go ’round”

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Leigh,

For many years, I have donated my time to provide free counselling to the many “battered wives” that come through the doors of the women’s refuge that I have close association with.

Scores of women and their children seek shelter at the refuge and often new arrivals are so traumatised that they require extensively long hours of one-to-one intervention just to get them settled and to feel safe and secure within what must be a very foreign environment. It is so rewarding to watch the transformation of once very beaten women into strong independant people in their own right.

Although my role is minimal I am proud to be a part of such a wonderfully supportive team of dedicated human beings!!!

Jo

@shaunwalker

wow, you guys out do me,
    i feel embarassed that i put my little car pushing story on here now [baaa]
    oh well, i will try to do better next time
    cheers
    shaun

@the-diy-dog-wash

What wonderful stories, it is haertening to see others think about what they can do to make a little difference.

Shaun,

Just because you can’t see the effect you don’t know what ripple you might have created by helping in a small way.

My little thing recently was to send an email to a friend to give her encouragement for a goal she was trying to acheive, then I sent an email to the others in our team asking them to send her an email also, she received over 10 messages in the space of a few minutes and was so overjoyed just to know other people cared.

Keep the great stories coming, and if you haven’t got one to add, go outside and do something then come back and tell us about it.

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

@shaunwalker

thanks for that leigh, i guess i meant to say that there are times when i am absolutely humbled by the people i get to talk to and be around.
    as for going outside and doing something.
    just went outside into the courtyard at work.
    theres a gym where you can see through the windows about 10 feet away from me.
    i sat down had a smoke (i know filthy habit) and a can of coke, and yelled go you good thing!
    does that count as helping someone? [biggrin]

shaun

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Shaun

I used to love people doing that! Made me run that little bit harder.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but better to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming . …… Hell, what a trip !!”

@the-diy-dog-wash

Shaun

You sound like a real giver!!!! What a guy!

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hey Shaun,

As long as you don’t go and press your face up against the window!!!! [tongue]

I don’t think they (those inside the gym) will see you as a “giver” then (other names maybe, but definitely not a “giver”)!!!! Plus you may find yourself getting carted off by the police to boot!!!! [laugh4]

Jo

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

On Tuesday, I helped my sister give birth to her first baby. She did it with no drugs and no stiches. I felt privileged to be able to wittness this miracle. To see a grown man cry as he envelopes his newborn son in his arms is one of the most emotional things i have ever witnessed.

@the-diy-dog-wash

Congratulations wallflower, that truely is a special event.

Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Hux001 Well done!
    Shaun you also helped me a while ago by sending me some stuff. May be you don’t remember now that.

SIS helped me a lot couple of months ago when I was moving from my old unit.

muppet and westan were best when I was in NZ in feb.

Now a days i am just helping a friend of mine by driving him around as he sold his car and in the process of buying another car. ( [cap] may be this is not helping some one )
    [biggrin]

Cheers
    [:)]
    PropertyGuRu
    [sultan]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.