Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

Good morning all,
    I hope this isn’t an incorrect place to ask this advice. For obvious reasons I can’t be too specific, but would appreciate any thoughts you have.

A friend has a brilliant idea for a tourist attraction. He has sat on it for a long while, as he is unsure of who he can speak to about the viability of the project without someone else “grabbing the idea”.
    If he was to register the name would this then safeguard the idea? Or does it mean someone else can still “grab the idea” and call it something else?
    It seems a shame that this fear is holding him back from seeking advise on how to even begin this project.
    Appreciate any advice.
    Thanks, Diane

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Diane,

Have your friend visit IPAustralia & read up.

Remember at the end of the day if he tells no-one & never actualises his idea, holding rights to the name is worthless anyway. You have to take a risk sometimes – just ensure it’s calculated!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Have a non-disclosure agreement [NDA] drafted which restricts potential investment partners, or otherwise, from copying the idea.

Use a qualified lawyer – do not try to cut corners if this is a viable concept.

Registering the name will not protect the individual if someone wishes to copy the business model/concept, and IP [intellectual property] rights often mean very little in the real world – and will be costly if the relationship results in litigation, with no guaranteed outcome.

— Michael

Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

Thankyou both very much.
    I have passed the information on.

Diane

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.