All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Can one claim for doing their own bookkeeping?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Is it true that one can claim “a fair & reasonable amount” for doing their own book work, compiling receipts,etc? if so,what rates are “reasonable” if i am not a qualified book-keeper,but HAVE had a few formal lessons??[confused2]

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

No except if your IPs were held say in a trust or company and that trust/company paid you for bookkeeping. Of course then you as an individual taxpayer would have to include this income in your tax return.

crj

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

I should think that costs associated with lodging a return yourself would be deductible. E.g. stationary, home office, etc.

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Yes you can, you simply put it on your own personal income statement or your trust (you hold your IP’s in) can pay your company for you to do the book keeping (just right down how many hours you have to do, for proof – and you’ve got your certificates too! (so slam dunk against the ATO!)).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

oh,pooh! my i.p’s are not under a co or trust…

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If your properties are in your own name, there would be no point in paying yourself for this. Even if you could deduct the amount (Which I’m sure you can’t), you would have to declare an equal amount as income so they would cancel each other out.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Fantastic post Misty, We have a trust and i am wrapped I’m claiming till the cows come home..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.