All Topics / Help Needed! / Problem Properties

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of lowielowie
    Participant
    @lowie

Hi does anyone have a set routine on talking to real estate agents about looking for problem properties. Have been thinking maybe a 3 or 4 bed room house under $180,000 that has been on the market for longer than 3 months. Is there anything else I should specify to the real estate agent??

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Yes, clarify if you’re looking for a place that mainly needs a cosmetic upgrade or whether structural problmes are fine. If you’ve got building experience you may be happy to sort out structural problmes, ifyou’re not, then it may be best to start with a cosmetic makeover first.

PK

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi
    Just remember that any cosmetic work done before your initial tennants move in, will not be tax deducable. You have to have had tennants in the have “caused wear & tear” that needs repairing.

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Barnsey is spot on, I’ve assumed you were doing a renovation and then selling to take the profits, however even if you are renting it, cosmetic may still be easier for the first one.

Profile photo of lowielowie
    Participant
    @lowie

hey thanks for the replies guys
    yeah I want to renovate a property and then sell it for quick profits so I can buy positive cashflow properties. I think cosmetic upgrades are best for me.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Hey – you guys should read the Book by Peter Spann – he renovates and holds and then with increased equity buys the next.

He used to renovate, sell, then buy the next. Then he realised he would have been better off if he held them instead of sold them.

Anyway worth a read.

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

Regarding renos, saw on TV last night that 2/3 of houses built before 1987 has dangerous asbestos in it.

So do be careful all you reno-kings !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.