All Topics / Help Needed! / NZ and GST

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of nmcacenmcace
    Participant
    @nmcace

Hi,

As far as I understand it, residential property is free/virtually free of GST on purchases, rent, etc. For commercial properties, or those being operated as a going concern, would GST apply?

Someone suggested registering in NZ for GST, and that that would result in a GST neutral situation – does that sound right?

Any help or insights would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Profile photo of swinysswinys
    @swinys

Gidday Nmcace.
    There is no GST on NZ residential investment properties.

If however you invest in a casual renter (ie holiday home where various people rent your property for short periods) then you can register for GST. this would mean you can claim back 12.5% of the purchase price. However you would then pay GST on your income and of course on the sale price when you sell it.

For the commercial properties I think GST is payable unless it is a going concern.

if you want advice in NZ I know an excellent accountant.

cheers
    Swinys[biggrin]

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

In NZ residential property is exempt from GST however, rates, insurance, repairs and maintenance will include GST and cannot be claimed back.

Commercial property is “Zero rated” for GST if it is a going concern. A certain percentage of the property must be rented in order to be a going concern.

If you are a commercial property investor I suggest you register for GST. If you are not registered you cannot charge GST on the rent and you cannot claim the GST back on the outgoings.

If you buy a vacant building this will incur GST however, if you are registered for GST you can then claim it back.

There’s more info on http://www.ird.govt.nz

Cheers
    Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.