All Topics / Opinionated! / There’s better investments now than property

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 141 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Ok. I have property down pat – well in my opinion anyway. I have read many books on the aubject and have a portfolio of properties in auto pilot.

Now its time for me to investigate shares, options and share trading – where do I start, what web sites are worth looking at, whats a good beginners book for share trading, what forums are available.

I am an accountant, so I know the fundamentals – but how do i learn to day trade on options, shares, warrants etc.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Originally posted by Aceyducey:

You can leverage shares up to around 70% depending on the share & the margin lender. However beware of margin calls :)

Hi Acey,

actually you can now leverage up to 75% on most bank shares, and some of the bigger blue chip stocks.. which is great.. but doesnt leave much room, in case of a margin call…

Hi Yack

Now its time for me to investigate shares, options and share trading – where do I start, what web sites are worth looking at, whats a good beginners book for share trading, what forums are available.

try this website out.. theres quite a few forum members from here, that talk on both sites… but this stock forum, i feel is honestly really great..

http://www.aussiestockforums.com/cgi-bin/stocks/YaBB.cgi

Louise Bedfords, books are great for begineers, and many of the “trading in a nutshell” trading books are great too, keep away from options to begin with, until you understand how the equity market works, but if you, understand fundamentals, your going to be laughing, fundamentals can give, very strong indication of stocks that are going to perform over the medium to long term, but have a stronger and healthier position in response to margin lending…

most good books, from most good book stores, will have many books available on technical analysis, this could take some time to master, though, with technical analysis and fundamentals, your trading positions, will have stronger, but more profitable trades…

Technical Analysis by Martin Pring (cant remember, but, i think thats the name of the book, is also great for, and in detail for the learning curve..)

Cheers,
    sis

Wanna Talk About Stocks

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig
    Originally posted by Still in School:

actually you can now leverage up to 75% on most bank shares

If you have a LOC against your home mortgage with enough unused limit, you could effectively leverage 100% for buying shares, with no margin calls and at mortgage rates rather than margin lending rates.

Of course if you lose money, it’s going to take longer to pay off the house.

For share sites, I also find http://www.sharetrader.co.nz quite good. It’s a NZ site but covers the ASX as well as the NZX.

And for books, I found Leon Wilson’s “The Business of Share Trading” a very good introduction to both share trading as a profession and technical analysis. Other good books on TA are the Daryl Guppy ones and the old Edwards & Magee book “The Technical Analysis of Stock Trends”. The latter is pre-computer (at least my 1984 version is – I haven’t seen the latest edition) and concentrates on chart patterns rather than technical indicators. It’s also American with examples from the 1920s to the 1950s, but in general I think is still quite applicable.

GP

Profile photo of Im excitedIm excited
    @im-excited

My parents bought a block of land for us. When it was sold and the money divided I knew that if I did not reinvest it in property the money would slip through my fingers. So I bought my first IP. In the mean time I have bought some blue chip shares. They have bottomed out so I cashed them in. eg Coles Myer shares. All my other attempts at shares have the same woeful tale. Ventracor not doing well. Property how
    ever doubled in price. Im sold on property![happy3]

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Everything has its place. The idea is to have a balanced portfolio that enables continued growth across all sectors. Have some in property, some in shares, some in cash, etc…

There is an old saying…

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket!!!

This is especially true when investing.

Having said that, there is also the ability to diversify within a sector. For example, you can buy property in different areas, States or countries, you could buy different property types or you could buy into property funds.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

Investor Links

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

I agree with Mortgage Adviser on this one.

I currently hold property, shares, cash & some $$$ invested in a venture capital project.

I read an article in the AFR on the weekend in which someone was quoted as saying that over any 10-year period in history, shares have always outperformed property.

I don’t know if this true or not but I do agree with Ross Greenwood when he said that there will always be more money to be (potentially) made in shares than property because shares are shares in private companies. And it is this private industry that drives any economy, not housing. Increase in housing prices is just a by-product of the economic environment (I think I am paraphrasing him accurately).

It is important to not to put all your eggs in one basket. And also to be able to move eggs between baskets. For example, having a whole swag of cash flow positive properties (eg., see pp.42 & 48 of this month’s API) is about the least tax effective portfolio you would want to hold going into retirment. Much more tax effective (with current regulations) to sell up & put proceeds into allocated pension or similar.

PROPERTY investors need not worry, you can always make sure LPTs make up the bulk of your allocated pension’s portfolio.[biggrin]

Best of luck to everyone with their investments.

Jason.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Have you noticed a trend in LPTs recently? Not perhaps the place for the majority of a pension portfolio perhaps? [blink]
    F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974
    Have you noticed a trend in LPTs recently? Not perhaps the place for the majority of a pension portfolio perhaps?

Like residential property, it depends which ones you buy.[biggrin]

J.

Profile photo of aussiexjaussiexj
    Participant
    @aussiexj

Have you changed your mind on Property since this post? Where are you investing now?

AXJ

Viewing 9 posts - 141 through 149 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.