All Topics / Help Needed! / Problem with Body corporate manager

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of banderosbanderos
    Participant
    @banderos

Hi All,

I am owner of one townhouse in a small block of four.
    After owning for 2 years I don’t believe the BC manager is doing his job as no necessary maintenance has been undertaken without my intervention in that time. Also repeated requests for the by-laws have been evaded and no annual meetings have happpened in that time…the manager said no-one showed last time they had one, which is plausible I suppose but still I would have expected an attempt to have been made in the last 2 years!

Anyhoo, I would possibly like to contact the other owners and encourage their attendance at the meeting I have twisted the mgr’s arm to arrange. I was wondering if I can obtian their names and addresses legally through the body corporate or some other means.

thanks,

Ben [buz2]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Ben,

As a member of a strata group you have a legal right to contact details of the other owners.

To sack the manager get the written approval of a majority of owners to change to a new manager and then forward the signed authority to the new manager and let them take over from there.

Based on your comments – you certainly deserve better and legally there are inadequacies in what is currently happening.

Before you do anything else I would ask for a faxed copy of your building insurance to ensure it is adequate – if nothing else this is essential and should be attended to first.

If you want any further advice just PM me – I have arranged for a change of Strata Manager on a couple of occasions so could be of assistance.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Is the body corp run by an owner of one of the units or a body corp company?

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi Ben
    I just until recently owned a property in a small group of 4 and we self managed the complex. In fact for the 12 yrs that we had it we only had two meetings and one was to set up the by-laws. Firstly I would find out who is managing the BC, if it is one of the ownwers go around and see them or phone them. Go and see the other units if they are rentals find out who they rent thru to get the owners name. If you dont live near the units get your PM to keep an eye on the outside of the property thats what we did. We found that looking after the property ourselves and at one point we no owner occupiers we could keep the BC levies reasonable as well as keeping the property up to scratch. Communication is the key here.
    Erika

Profile photo of AllianceocmAllianceocm
    Participant
    @allianceocm

Hi Ben,

Your current OC Manager is obligated to provide you with the current list of owners with registered postal address to contact them.

Owners Corporations Act 2006 

146. Availability of records

(1) The owners corporation, on request by a lot

owner, a mortgagee of a lot, a purchaser of a lot or

the representative of a lot owner or mortgagee or

purchaser of a lot, must make the records of the

owners corporation required to be kept under this

Division available to that person for inspection at

any reasonable time, free of charge.

(2) The owners corporation may at the request of a

person entitled to inspect the records and on

payment of a reasonable fee provide a copy of any

record of the owners corporation.

(3) A fee determined by the owners corporation for

the purposes of this section must not exceed the

prescribed maximum fee.

Or you can get a copy of the title for  each apartment  on LANDATA (this will cost you $16.00-$24.00 for each record.

Isaac from Alliance OCM 

Profile photo of Hank84Hank84
    Participant
    @hank84

It may be relevant to note that bodies corporate operate under different legislation depending on what state you're in. In Queensland you can get hold of the list of owners, referred to as the "roll" be asking the manager for a copy or performing a search of the records at their office. Generally they will give it to you if you are an owner but if you aren't having any luck they are obligated to give it to you if you search the records for a small fee (I think its about $14).

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Ben

Can i ask you what State the property is in ?

Hate to say the legislation is different in each State.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

Do you guys not read the date on these threads and posts? 2004 !!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.