All Topics / Help Needed! / Quantity Surveyor – Melb

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of agent smithagent smith
    Participant
    @agent-smith

[biggrin]Hi There,
    Can anyone recommend a good Quantity Surveyor in inner Melb?
    Thanks in advance…….[biggrin]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Smithy,

Give http://www.depreciator.com.au a look.

Scott (AKA Depreciator) regularly posts here.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of agent smithagent smith
    Participant
    @agent-smith

Thanks Derek,
    I’m all booked in…………
    they seem to have a pretty slick operation.
    Ciao.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Thanks for the endorsement, agent smith.

I had a meeting with the front end gang this morning and passed on your comment. We do lots of Schedules every month (especially at this time of year) and we have 4-5 people who just field calls and manage jobs etc. They do a great job. And at times it’s tough – on every job there is a landlord involved, as well as a tenant, a QS, and often a PM and an accountant. Managing everyone’s expectations is a challenge and very occasionally it goes pear shaped.

If we had a mission statement, it would be: ‘We try extra hard not to disappoint, and when we do we fix it as soon as possible.’

Of course, one thing we don’t get wrong is compliance with ATO rules.

I offer members of this site a discount – $660 as opposed to $715. You’re new, so you may not be aware of this. If you send me an e-mail with the name the job was booked under, I’ll get this sorted out.

[email protected]

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp
    Originally posted by agent smith:

[biggrin]Hi There,
    Can anyone recommend a good Quantity Surveyor in inner Melb?
    Thanks in advance…….[biggrin]

I’ve found BMT are very good.

If your IP is in a remote area and they can’t go there, they will send you forms to fill in and request you take photos of each room. Cost is $440 per property.

Rgds, Peter

@depreciator

It’s a bit more than $440.

We do something similar for remote jobs, but it’s an informal system. I’m still deciding whether (and how) to formalise it.

Where possible I believe that having a QS or an ‘appropriately qualified person’ carry out an inspection is best practice. Most accountants we deal with have a similar view.

I spoke to a member of this site yesterday. He has a property in a regional area. It’s an older property, but there have been substantial renovations carried out in 2 different stages. I wouldn’t be terribly comfortable doing a Schedule on it using photos.

The reality is that many properties being bought by investors in remote areas are unimproved, pre 85 properties. Self assessing the value of the assets is the best (and cheapest) course of action. I’m happy to explain this to people.

Scott 1300 660033

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

Scott,

Maybe you should start franchising Depreciator rurally to get maximum aussie coverage ! … :)

Anyway, I have a IP apartment unit in a 3 storey building with a strata title dated 10/9/86. But I can’t tell when construction started, so could be pre-85 which would mean I can’t claim construction depreciation.

Is it still worthwhile getting a depreciation schedule drawn up ?

P.S. By the way, I saw your Today Tonight appearance and the story was an eye-opener.

@depreciator

Thanks Bennido. We thought about the franchising route, but we may have a better solution for rural properties. We’re working on it now (amidst the usual mayhem of tax season).

The council can’t shed any light on the construction start date of your unit? If the strata title is dated 10/9/86, you’d have to be in with a chance.

We tend to find there often isn’t alot of depreciation in unimproved older units. Self-assessment of assets is the usually the way to go.

I’ll talk you through this if you want to give me a call. I’m in the office today till noon. Our phones are switeched on at 9am when the front end boys arrive.

Scott – 1300 660033

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

Thanks Scott for your great help and advice this morning !

FYI, I did more checking and believe it or not, the council said that construction started in 1970. So building depreciation is out.

I wonder why my strata title is issued in 1986 then ?
    Could it be that extensive renovations were done to the building in 1985-86 so the building needed to be re-titled ?
    If this is the case, would depreciation be more feasible and how would I go about confirming it ?

Anyway, I am very impressed with your friendly and professional manner. If I ever need a depreciation schedule done, you would be the first person I call … :-)

@depreciator

Thanks Bennido.

It sounds like the block your unit is in was originally on one title with one owner and then coverted to strata title in 86.

Regards,

Scott

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.