All Topics / Forum Frolic / Norma Khouri / Forbidden Love

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Anyone read this book? Gatsby? Anyone? You’ve probably heard how it’s a fake- she’s done a Demidenko on us!

Anyhoo, we haven’t had much discussion on books. I read the book on the way back from Austria on the plane- it’s very mills and boonish. Crappy up the wazoo. They’ve withdrawn the book from the shelves now. Anyone want my copy? hehe.

kay henry

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

I read the condensed version in the Readers Digest and happened to like the condensed version (but I think all the Mills and Boons bit was taken out and only the main “facts” were printed).

Well, facts, that’s an interesting word in this case.

Shame it wasn’t real as I believe these things do happen in some countries and publicising it so people knew what was going on was a start to fixing the problem. However, when the publication turns out to be fiction then it does nothing for a true cause and could hinder those that really do need some help.

Does she get to keep the profits from the book?

PK

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

PK,

I saw a program about it this evening, and a literary critic was saying it would be a pity if the issue of honour killings was minimised, as you’ve said, by this controversy. In a way, it might be highlighted. I never heard of darville/demidenko until she was shown as a fraud, so sometimes it promotes the author or their issue.

Dunno if she gets to keep the profits. All her books have been removed from the shelves, and the Dept of Immigration is questioning her visa- so she’s in trouble. I reckon she may have to go back to the USA.

kay henry

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Kay,
    hang onto your book. Keep it for a few months then auction it off and then put the money on property!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

I work for the company who distributed it in Australia, and they dont know if it’s a lie either. Anyway it’s been withdrawn, and they’re hoping that it goes back into circulation so they can rack up the profits. Bad or good publicity, who cares, it all helps the sales and the bottom line!

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Just move it to the fiction shelves.

So long as it’s a good read & the author is honest about the truthfulness it shouldn’t matter whether it’s fictional or not.

Frankly she might get higher sales by fessing it’s all made up anyway ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Aceducey,
    I think you’re correct. The ‘fess up book’ will sell like elusive cashflow properties get snapped up. I’ve actually decided to finally write a book (after a lot of soul searching) about my life. Don’t hold your breath though, but ‘somehow’ I’ll find a way of doing it. Be careful though when you read it. I wouldn’t want anyone ending up in a ‘speed’ reading accident by hitting a book mark.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of drhappydrhappy
    @drhappy

[cap]

Yeah I hear she is going back to the USA to write up their WMD case for the next ‘axis of evil’ member country that George W decides need a liberating invasion.

cheers Deano

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.