All Topics / Help Needed! / Fibro Renos

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of Matt KennyMatt Kenny
    @matt-kenny

Has anyone been through the process of renovating by removing fibro (containing asbestos) and replacing it with another more modern material.

What are the costs?

Do people leave it intact and clad over it?

Matt

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Matt,
    If you are going to clad over fibro you only need to take off the corners and cover strips. There is no need to take off the sheets.
    Robo

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

robo, I have recently purchased fibo, will possibly paint external sometime soon.

Just wandering do you know if it is costly to reclad a house (small 3 x 1) approximately???
    If possible. CHeers[biggrin]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Matt,

Here is a really good article on the topic:

http://www.ohsrep.org.au/faqs/1023259073_16147.html

kay henry

@robo

Hi Marisa,
    Depending on your wall heights and how many windows and doors there is?
    Around $5,000 – $7,000.
    Robo

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Thanks Kay H for info.

Robo, great, however cant really afford this so guess will be painting.

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Hi,
    The original question(The first part) was how much would it take to remove asbestos?(3 bed house)
    Has anyone had experience with this issue?.
    Dom[biggrin]

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Salacious,

Removing asbestos is a job for professionals (with very good health insurance).

You don’t want to break an asbestos board!!!!!

It’s safer to be a 30-a-day smoker.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Profile photo of Matt KennyMatt Kenny
    @matt-kenny

Hi Guys,

I’ve just had recent advice that its OK to take off the cover strips and render over the fibro.

Has anyone had experience with this?
    Has it lasted and continued to look good over the long term?

Matt

@robo

Hi Matt,
    Who told you it is ok to take off the cover strips. I am not saying its not just curious. My brother is a cement renderer, he prefers to render over brick, has had trouble with it going drummy over fibro.
    robo

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Robo,
    I wonder whether a Hebel product would work? I think Hebel ‘render’ is a 3mm skim coat. Not sure whether the surface has to be primed, or whether there even is a Hebel primer for that matter.

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

All this asbestos / fibro thing is new to me. But when I go to the rural areas, I noticed that many houses have something which looks like colorbond sheeting on the exterior of the house. There are also some houses with a cardboard like covering which looks like bricks from far.

Does any of these have asbestos ?

Profile photo of Matt KennyMatt Kenny
    @matt-kenny

Robo,

A guy I have got to know who has 32 properties across Tas and Qld and Gold Coast has renovated a few fibro places in his time. He said he has removed the cover strips filled the gaps between the fibro sheets with a suitable substance and then rendered over the top.

Sounds feasible, but I’m not sure how well it would hold to the fibro without some surface prep – which given it contains asbestos would be a no no anyway.

This guy is away at the moment so have not been able to investigate further.

Matt

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi matt
    granotex over the outside it looks better seals(is water proof) doesn’t give the drummy effect and is applied in 3 coats and is about the equivalent of 6 coats of paint per layer.
    It wont chip off any usually comes with a 25 year warranty not cheap but will look great and adds value to the house.go to your local house exp village and ask to see a granetex house and thats the finish you will get.

here to help

Profile photo of operatoroperator
    @operator

I work with asbestos & you have to make sure the cover strips are not fibro (asbestos/cement) when you remove them.When removing any cornice,cover strips,architraves or skirtings a pinch bar or large screwdriver & hammer is used making sure any point of contact is against the timber work that it is nailed in to or it will crack releasing small amounts of asbestos.This requires lifting away from the wall &not pushing towards it.Minute amounts of dust will be released when the nails come out & the holes and any broken edges should be sprayed with a 10 to one mix of PVA glue &water.You should wear disposable overalls gloves & a good particulate respirator with a pre filter. This is not a dangerous task & there are a lot of untruths & myths about asbestos.This is also only a basic description of the process and you should contact an asbestos removalist association. I know nsw has one, for more info.Personally I would rather work with asbestos than smoke 30 ciggies a day.

Regards Ian

ikerr

@robo

Hi Operator,
    What do you do if the cover strips are fibro?
    Robo

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Thoroughly moisten the area (if you are able to use the hose) may be a way to reduce or eliminate dust particles. After all it is used when cutting bricks etc for the same reason!

@operator

They are normally flat & break between the nails.When this happens place them in a plastic bag marked asbestos.When the bag is not to heavy,my rule,it should be double baggeg then taped up ready for an appraved tip site.

Rgards Ian

ikerr

@operator

Wetting down wont really help as the water does not penetrate inside the fibro.My spelling doesn’t seem to good it should be bagged and approved.

Regards Ian

This is not a 100% description of asbestos removal so contact an association and or email me.

ikerr

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

I’ve only had experience with Asbestos inside. We hired an asbestos lined bin from the council and suited up for the day with quality breathing gear. First we wet the sheeting like they recommend but we soon found it easily broke. The Council came to collect the bin and charges around $350. We then put up new gyprock walls.
    After the work was done the Plasterer told us that we need not have bothered to remove the asbestos instead we could have just removed the cornice and trims and sheet over the asbestos.
    Apparently is helps with the insulation and stops the mess and dust risks.
    At least we’ll know for next time…
    Amanda

AJBS

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.