All Topics / Help Needed! / Flood areas …

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

Can someone please help with a link to a website that I can check if it is a designated flood area ?

Thanks !

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

If you get hold of the local council where you are looking, they will have records and the appropriate designations on hand. Either that or try an insurance ( long shot ) that may have on record info about flood areas.

Hope this helps ( I don’t know any links to websites )

Cheers

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Bennido,

As Myydral suggested, start with the local council of the area in which you wish to purchase.

http://www.ica.com.au/corpaffairs/mediareleases.nsf/0/d824aec12883dc004a2569f800166b59?OpenDocument
    (Media release advising people of Insurance Councils production of a Flood Brochure)

As provided here:

http://www.ica.com.au/publications/ICA_flood.pdf

Failing that, don’t forget to keep your swimmers close by!! [laugh4][laugh4]

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

bennido,

Just look up “blahtown flood” in google.com.au and see what comes up. Remember, the area that hasn’t flooded for 100 years might be due (or might not be).

kay henry

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Look at local history books, if there was a flood there will likely be something in the book, maybe even pictures giving an idea of height of that particular flood.

As has been stated check with the local council. Different councils will have different amounts of information.

Talk to some of the older locals.

Visit the town. Maitland Railway station had markers of where the different flood levels had reached. Dubbo has markers on some buildings in Talbragar street. Other towns have photos eg in the pubs or clubs or banks.

Bear in mind that flood mitigation works might have changed the likelihood of flooding both favourably and unfavourably. I think in some floods on the north coast of NSW at the beginning of 2001 or 2002 some locals said areas that hadn’t flooded before were flooding because levee banks etc had stopped water flowing to where it had gone inearlier floods.

crj

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Visit all the open houses in the town & turn on all the taps.

Wait a week.

Return to the town – any areas underwater will be flood-prone.

If this proves too hard to carry out, strategically located rain dances can achieve a similar result.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS: Be careful when referring to council records…some ‘100 year’ flood-prone areas are now getting floods every few years….you gotta love a variable climate :)

Local lenders (aka: local bank branches & residents can give you a good idea of the flood areas.

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

LOL acey ! .. [biggrin]

Reason why I posted this was that I tried really hard on Google but could not find anything substantial. Maybe I am searching incorrectly.

But I guess no news is good news sometimes !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.