All Topics / General Property / How Much Equity Do You Have Now?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

From reading the posts on this and other forums, I’ve seen various comments indicating a wide range of equity levels that people currently have in their IPs – everything from 100% equity to 100%+ borrowed.

Just thought I’d ask, what equity level (as a percentage) do you currently have in your IPs now and why (without going into great financial detail)?

If you have a high borrowing level, is it because of faith in the current market or perhaps because it’s all you can afford? If you have high equity levels, is it because you don’t have faith in the current market or some other reason?

I’m interested in people’s thoughts on what equity level is best for them at this point in time and why.

Cheers,
    GP

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi GP,

Owning everything outright I guess that puts me at the 100% equity level.

Why??? Because I started investing at 18, purchased my first home for a measely 27K and sold it (and others) for a much higher price in boom times!! Not to mention, working 2-3 jobs at times, studying like mad in between (getting my PhD) and working for myself. Now aged 41 and have been semi retired since 2002.

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Jo,

So are you still buying at the moment (I vaguely remember a thread not so long ago where you said you’d just bought a couple more)?

If so, what percentage equity are you using with current purchases?

GP

PS: What’s your Ph.D in, if you don’t mind my asking?

@monopoly

Hi GP,

You remember correctly, I have recently purchased 2 new IPs – one in Mornington (which settles on Friday) and one in Frankston (which settles in August – can’t remember the exact date sorry). I recently sold 2 others (about a year ago, so I guess not that recent hey??). I will continue to buy, only this time my next IP #5 will unfortunately (well fortunately actually as I need the debt) require borrowing (I think my personal banker will have heart failure)!!!. [blush2] I was looking at a block of units recently for 1.5m but they sold before I had a chance to convince my husband that it would be a worthwhile venture!!! (Bugger!!!!) [bawl]

As for my PhD it is in Health Sciences; I have 5 degrees in total (2 undergrads), an Honours, Masters and the PhD. I am a registered Psychologist by profession (but if you look under “what are our occupations” thread, you will see I have listed my true calling as “a bean counter”!!!) [lmao]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

My gearing is only 30% and therfore 70% equity.

I have sold a property recently and am waiting for future opportunities that will arise over the next 2-3 years.

I want yields and interest rates to start to rise a little.

@greatpig

Jo,

I have recently purchased 2 new IPs

So you bought them outright too (ie. no finance)?

I have 5 degrees in total (2 undergrads), an Honours, Masters and the PhD

If bachelors, honours, and masters count separately, then I have three [:)].

Couldn’t handle a PhD though. One friend I was at university with started a PhD then dropped out and joined the Salvation Army. Another did his PhD but then went on to become perhaps NZ’s most well-known property guru. I took the middle line and ended up working within my field of study (electrical engineering).

GP

@greatpig

Yack,

Originally posted by yack:

am waiting for future opportunities that will arise over the next 2-3 years.

So when these opportunities arise, do you think you’ll increase your gearing or stay at about the same as now?

GP

@monopoly
    Originally posted by GreatPig:

I have recently purchased 2 new IPs

So you bought them outright too (ie. no finance)? That’s right GP, no finance.

I have 5 degrees in total (2 undergrads), an Honours, Masters and the PhD

If bachelors, honours, and masters count separately, then I have three [:)].
    Yes they do; and yes you have three (well done)!!! [thumbsupanim]

Couldn’t handle a PhD though. It’s not everyone’s cuppa tea.

I took the middle line and ended up working within my field of study (electrical engineering) Pretty good going too if you ask me!! [specool]

Having a PhD or no academic qualifications doesn’t make for a better investor, in fact, I have seen quite the opposite; I have known Professors who blew hundreds of thousands on properties because they couldn’t apply their research skills to the real world!!! [glum2]

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

“So when these opportunities arise, do you think you’ll increase your gearing or stay at about the same as now?”

Yes I will. But I need to consider how much I can support these properties. In then past I never saved a deposit, I just used the equity in the previous property.

Now that prices have stablised and I dont expect too much growth in the next 3-5 yrs, I either need to save a deposit or wait for rents to go up or reduce what we as a family spend.

With a young family, recent renovations on PPOR and holiday to Canada (sister in laws wedding – so we gotta go), I have found it difficult to save a deposit for new investment properties.

I am a long term investor and in no hurry.

@greatpig

Yack,

Thanks for your comments.

GP

Profile photo of SPTSPT
    @spt

Hi GP

Good question. As we are relatively new to property investing (10 months), it is good to read how others are managing this.

As for ourselves, we owned our own family home 100% and last year set up a family trust. We have since purchased four rental properties under the trust, which are positive cashflow. We have also had capital gain in that time on our own home and our rentals. We have borrowed all but $3000.00 in the purchase of them, using equity in the family home.

We are not concerned if the housing market rents flatten out or house prices drop a little as predicted, because firstly my salary can subsidise the rent and secondly, we have enough in savings to pay off three quarters of the mortgage over the rentals if needed.

We decided to purchase this way as we thought that by keeping our savings, and mortgage basically 100% in the purchase of the rentals, we would have money in reserve and be using the banks money to our advantage. With the remaining equity in the family home and with capital gains received, we still have the ability to purchase further rentals without breaking our savings. We are comfortable in the way we are heading at present.

We would like to purchase as many rentals as possible without over committing and then sell off a portion in around ten years to pay off most of the remaining mortgage utilising capital gains, our own savings and ten years of tenants paying rent. I imagine two bust and boom cycles (if and when?). We could then reach our goal which is to be retired at 45 and living on passive income.

Does anyone else on the forum have views if we should be doing something differently to maximise our returns. I would be interested to read positive and negative comments. We can only learn from everyone’s experiences.

Regards

SPT

@greatpig

SPT,

As we are relatively new to property investing (10 months)

Well you’re 10 months ahead of me at the moment!

Looks like you’ve thought about your goals and got yourself a plan, which is good.

Good luck with it!

GP

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

100% + cash and in no rush ;-)

Im at a stage where i will not sacrifice lifestyle to become filthy rich. I figured i only need a reasonable disposable income to be happy.

Will probably add 2 more IPs (good areas and neg geared) when i feel “real” value is back in the market Im looking at .

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

GreatPig,

At the moment I had 40% in equity which meant 60% gearing. I alway plan to set up trust and buy IPs under it, but I never get around to do.

I am planning to get a line of credit for share trading in the near future. I also plan to sell one of my IP to reduce my debt because at the moment the property that I am planning to sell is quite heavily geared. Once I sell this IP then all my other IPs will be positive cash flow.

If I am a successful share trader in the near future then I will continue buy more IPs, but at this stage I am sit back and try to learn new things.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich]
    Share Investing Forum: http://www.aussiestockforums.com

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

HI there GreatPig,

Well, our equity levels aren’t as high as everyone else’s but we’re comfortable with where we are at.

4 IP’s – 2 have 20% equity, 1 has 30% equity and 1 has 50% equity. We are comfortable with this equity level as IP’s are paying for themselves and will do so even if interest rates rise a couple of %. If they rise beyond that we know we can afford to pay some into the mortgages or perhaps rents will rise a bit by then too.

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Great Pig

Another did his PhD but then went on to become perhaps NZ’s most well-known property guru. I took the middle line and ended up working within my field of study (electrical engineering).

Is this man the reknowned “Dolf de Roos” who has never had to work for wages in his life?

Regarding the equity question I treat each acquisition differently. I build in a risk factor on some properties to take account for R&M, defaulting tenancies and renovation etc – for these purchases I tend to put in more equity. Other properties I may see immediate cashflow increases by way of rent reviews, re-tenanting, or some form of adding value – in these cases I will put in as little equity as I can.

Horses for courses

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Hi,
    I have sold two ip’s and will pay my house of before october have 3 properties left.

Total equity about$400,000. Now planning to do something different and build and develop.

Getting closer to retirement hopefully around 40.

Dom[biggrin]

@greatpig

JetDollars,

Originally posted by JetDollars:

I am planning to get a line of credit for share trading in the near future.

You’re going to start trading on margin? You must be confident [:)].

Cheers,
    GP

@greatpig

Jeff,

Originally posted by Ibuycashflow:

Is this man the reknowned “Dolf de Roos” who has never had to work for wages in his life?

Yes, that’s him.

Although I’m not entirely sure about his claim. While back then the government paid for pretty much your whole university education, most students worked during the holidays or part time during the year to get some extra spending money. I don’t know about him though. He might have had a scholarship or something, or another source of funds.

GP

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by GreatPig:

JetDollars,
    You’re going to start trading on margin? You must be confident [:)].

Cheers,
    GP

Well, I will start using my own money first for 1 to 6 months. If I am confident enough by then I will start using LOC.

But I probably will start with high liquidity company ie. top 15 in capitalisation, maybe not NAB though….LOL

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich]
    Share Investing Forum: http://www.aussiestockforums.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.