Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

i’m thinking about buying a floating week at a time share resort. I would buy one that is connected with some of the large exchange programs such as RCI. I’ve noticed that i can buy them for about $4-5k secondhand that have a yearly fee of about $500. I like the idea of timeshare so i can buy extra weeks, as i believe they can be picked up for about 500pw at different resorts around the world.

does anyone have some advise for me ?

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hey Westan,

Man there’s a concept that I hadn’t heard since the 80’s!!! Didn’t even know if was still going.

Don’t know how good it is, but hope others do, as I would enjoy reading the info myself.

Jo

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

This was given to me by a friend of mine some years ago. I have not even had a look at the web sites. I sort of decided timeshare was not for me but he takes the kids on holidays a bit.

here’s the links for timeshare places. There are two companies that will display information pertaining to the Timeshares.
    http://www.dialanexchange.com.au/home.htm
    http://www.interchange-timeshare.com.au/bonus.html#Bonus.

I would be interested in your comments. As I said I have not done anything in this area.

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi Westan
    We’ve had a timeshare week for many years, and have thoroughly enjoyed all the places we’ve stayed with it. Initially we did some international resorts and interstate, but more recently with small kids we’ve done all the resorts within driving distance.
    Nowadays it doesn’t suit us, mainly because we’ve done all the close by ones, and with a floating week we can’t exchange into peak time (ie school holidays) and we now have kids at school.
    But for people who can go any time, I think it’s a great idea.
    Certainly my main advice would be – buy second hand, NEVER buy from a marketing company.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of john howardjohn howard
    @john-howard

Why pay $500 to be told when and where to take holidays.For $600 per week you can get a really nice apartment in most places. There is a reason they died out in the 80s leave it at that.

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Westan

We have owned one for years, same story as FW. We exchanged it to the Carribean for our honey moon, those were the days!!!!

In fact we were only talking a couple of weeks ago about selling ours to buy another IP. Hadn’t given it much thought since but PM me if you want any details.

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi guys

thanks for all the thought so far.

John howard where can you get an appartment for $500 per week. I was looking at some timeshare in Wanaka (NZ) the other day and to rent the quality of it would be at least $2000 per week. Also you have missed to concept of timeshare many people have never even used there own as they swap them with others all over the place. In regard to dieing out, i think you will find the opposite. i like the idea of staying at quality places for a fraction of the usually cost. I was getting some prices for Fiji and units would cost $300 per day so i thought hmmmm time share???
    Who knows at the end of the day it may not be the way to go, but i appreciate the comments made.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of hotshothotshot
    @hotshot

i would like info on timeshare sounds reel interesting but the links you put up Yack dont work [crying] thanx anywey and if anyone can hlep with other ones that be good to! thanx

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Westan

I noticed something interesting yesterday when we received our annual report, it stated that overseas owners paid a lower annual levy than locals – now I’m peeved about that – but it may be something for you to keep in mind when you are looking around, maybe help you save some annual funds. Don’t forget that you have to pay a membership into the exchange clubs and it is best to pay for the multiple years rather than one year only.

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

As long as it’s purely for your holidaying & not considered an investment, timeshares can be good value!

I pity the people who originally buy in as an ‘investment’ however.

I had one friend who was trying to become a mini-travel agency to get her family & friends to go stay at her timeshare so she’d get the money back.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I just cut and pasted from an email a mate sent me about 18 months ago. Let me correct them.

These work –

http://www.dialanexchange.com.au
    http://www.interchange-timeshare.com.au

I dont know anything about them, your thoughts appreciated.

Profile photo of luckyoneluckyone
    @luckyone

Weston,
    Maybe you should have a look at a place more like http://www.skyauction.com where you can bid for hotels in other countries. It’s all in $US I believe, but it sounds good. There was a 10 night cruise the other day on it that only had 2 hours left to go that was at $800 at the time, and that was for two people. I don’t know how good this site is as I haven’t bought any accommodation off them, but if I was going overseas I’d probably buy a few nights to test them out.
    Thanks.

Thanks,
    Luckyone

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Leigh
    In Australia you can use Interchange http://www.interchange-timeshare.com.au and there is no membership fee. You still pay a fee to exchange.
    I’ve actually found them heaps better than RCI for Australian exchanges. They’re based in Qld.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

hi westan
    so what are you going to do?
    sounds interesting, but I still not sure committing to have 1 week a year
    glenn

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

@westan

hi recoveryman

i’m still looking into it.
    as far as committing to one week, my understanding is with a floating week, i can choise from a lot of weeks during the year it doesn’t have to be the same week every year.

as far as your signature goes, thats prety close to what i’m happy doing “look at the mountain”.

regards westan

@recoveryman

Westan
    I looked into it as bit
    you can put your week into a bank and use it anytime
    as you aware I have left work so am looking and snowboarding down the mountian also getting into some surfing while looking after my portfilo
    what a job but someone has to do it
    Glenn

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

@westan

Hi recoveryman

Officially- congratulations on exiting the rat race. Your a Legend well done.

what are you enjoying the most about your new life. I love the sleep ins, unfortunately the 6 year old likes me to walk him to school so i have to get out of bed by 8.45am.

look forward to seeing you in NZ sometime, next time your over let me know and i catch up with you.

You know i stepped out of the rat race and then 6 weeks later stepped one foot right back in, with the buyers advocate stuff. But then again i can choose how much i want to do. Currently reclaiming some time for myself again, getting a better balance.

Thats why i thought this time share would be a good idea especially if we can pick up extra weeks at resorts for under $500 pw.

regards westan

@recoveryman

westan
    i love not wasting my timebeing somewhere that I was not enjoying and spending more time with my family. also to spend all the time I want thinking about PI.
    goodluck with your timeshare
    i will talk to you about it in person by the end of the year
    glenn

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Westan, check out

http://www.smartsharevacations.com/

I’ve got a ‘trial’ membership for two years at $129 (‘full’ life membership is a few thousand).

Basically for a week’s holiday you pay from $US99 – $US499, and stay in pretty amazing places round the world. I think they use a lot of the ‘rich folks’ houses that are holiday houses – like in Whistler Canada. One place the guy had stayed at cost him $299 or something for the week, and he showed us the ‘normal’ advertised price of $600 or so. We thought, cool, half price, but then he said that was the NIGHTLY rate!!

Haven’t actually used them yet, but for $129, and a max of about $1000 AUS for a week somewhere, I’d probably get my money back pretty well[biggrin]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

westan, here’s an article on timeshares- the pro’s and the cons. It’s american, but it was only written yesterday (which is their today) so it may have some interest for you:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/travel/9212572.htm?1c

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.