All Topics / General Property / NEW ZEALAND property investments

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Earthquakes….I grew up in Wellington, at the bottom of a main fault line, used to tremors on a regular basis, so therefore one doesn’t end up with any ‘fear’ of them. (No more than any other ‘act of God’ which could happen to you any time any where.) In wellington, a lot of houses are built of wood rather than brick (unless reinforced) because wooden houses are brilliant in an earthquake as they have a lot of ‘give’.

Re: “Heard there was an huge earthquake on sunday on the north island. Is this a frequent occurance? Is that why most here are buying in da south?”

I wouldn’t think so as a reason to buy in the South….I would have thought that ‘most’ were buying in the North – well, that’s where 3/4 of the houses in NZ are!!

The reason I personally buy in the North and not the South? Family in Wellington, friends in Auckland, so I was buying in between. kind of like the between sydney and melbourne thing. convenience. I was looking in the SI too, and there were some good deals there too, but in the end I felt the deals in the NI were as good as deals I was finding in the NI so I bought there.
    And it’s become my main investing stomping ground ever since. Also now I have such great teams in place on the ground there is less reason for me to investigate the South unless the deals in the South start to get way better (and they’re still just on a par in my opinion.)

Now if you are an Aussie with no particular affinity or reason to purchase in the North or South island, I would still go the North. Why? Because 3/4 of NZ lives there and as it’s more populated it’s less remote. You are likely to be max a hundred K from a sizeable town. Also any place within driving distance of Auckland has got more CG potential I reckon because of statistical population predictions. The SI towns have to work a bit harder to get people there (with exceptions like Queenstown, Nelson). For example Invercargill. declining population for 12 years and suddenly turned around because they made studying there free. Cool. long may it continue, because if they phase it out it won’t be pretty for investors if the town reverts back to it’s long term pattern of decline.

The NI is warmer too (with exceptions in the SI like Nelson, Blenheim, Marlborough which are microclimates similar to the mid NI)

my opinion only, feel free to debate if you disagree

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Earthquakes….I grew up in Wellington, at the bottom of a main fault line, used to tremors on a regular basis, so therefore one doesn’t end up with any ‘fear’ of them. (No more than any other ‘act of God’ which could happen to you any time any where.) In wellington, a lot of houses are built of wood rather than brick (unless reinforced) because wooden houses are brilliant in an earthquake as they have a lot of ‘give’.

Re: “Heard there was an huge earthquake on sunday on the north island. Is this a frequent occurance? Is that why most here are buying in da south?”

I wouldn’t think so as a reason to buy in the South….I would have thought that ‘most’ were buying in the North – well, that’s where 3/4 of the houses in NZ are!!

The reason I personally buy in the North and not the South? Family in Wellington, friends in Auckland, so I was buying in between. kind of like the between sydney and melbourne thing. convenience. I was looking in the SI too, and there were some good deals there too, but in the end I felt the deals in the NI were as good as deals I was finding in the NI so I bought there.
    And it’s become my main investing stomping ground ever since. Also now I have such great teams in place on the ground there is less reason for me to investigate the South unless the deals in the South start to get way better (and they’re still just on a par in my opinion.)

Now if you are an Aussie with no particular affinity or reason to purchase in the North or South island, I would still go the North. Why? Because 3/4 of NZ lives there and as it’s more populated it’s less remote. You are likely to be max a hundred K from a sizeable town. Also any place within driving distance of Auckland has got more CG potential I reckon because of statistical population predictions. The SI towns have to work a bit harder to get people there (with exceptions like Queenstown, Nelson). For example Invercargill. declining population for 12 years and suddenly turned around because they made studying there free. Cool. long may it continue, because if they phase it out it won’t be pretty for investors if the town reverts back to it’s long term pattern of decline.

The NI is warmer too (with exceptions in the SI like Nelson, Blenheim, Marlborough which are microclimates similar to the mid NI)

my opinion only, feel free to debate if you disagree

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.