All Topics / General Property / NEW ZEALAND property investments

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of peterhutchypeterhutchy
    @peterhutchy

I recently started to view properties from New Zealand over the net and found that there looks to be some great deals over there.

Any I am looking for advice from Australian people who have property in New Zealand and how they went about sorting out the finance, asking the right questions to get a good deal, which areas are good to look at, and wat the go is with “leasehold” land over there………..and any other hints and tip that will help me buy a quality property in New Zealand sight unseen.

Thanks

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

peter – do a search there are hundreds of threads discussing same….westan and minimogul seem to be the gurus

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Avoid “leasehold” and acquire “freehold” land – otherwise you will not benefit from appreciating values which 9 times out of 10 outweighs the lower entry cost.

Leasehold can also be very restrictive if you wish to improve the land – again a negative in terms of profit.

Asking the right questions comes with knowledge and experience.

The south island of New Zealand is demonstrating the best investment opportunities at this time – specific location depends on how much you intend investing.

— Michael

Profile photo of KegwyloKegwylo
    @kegwylo

We are expat kiwis being out of the country now for over 10 years. So a few observations following a recent trip for you to consider in regards to leasehold land in New Zealand.

1. Much of the leasehold land belongs to maori tribal or iwi groups. As a result major changes such as sub dividing etc would need further consultation with the maori which may take a while.
    2. Most leaseholds are renewable indefinitely.
    3. Rates and taxes have an additional cost for the leases. You could expect the additional lease costs to be 30 to 40% higher than free hold land.
    Having said this, this is an area where you can get some wonderful bargins which give positive cash flow.

House prices on lease hold land in many places are 20-30% lower – less mortgage but rents remain the same – so good cash flow.
    There is a drive at the moment to settle outstanding land issues in New Zealand. This means that in the near future a capital outlay in may be required to make some properties freehold. For a 2-3% capital outlay property value will rise to freehold values. In the town that I am basing these comments on many of the local businesses have bought as many freehold properties as they can manage in order to reap the benefits of the capital growth. But whatever you do in regards to leasehold land – do your homework first. Coastal properties have gone up in price over the last few years with many areas seeing rapid price rises.

Secondly the issue of finance is it is not a problem as an Australian buying into New Zealand. Most of the major Banks can accomodate. Conditions do apply. As most of the New Zealand Banks are owned by Australian groups I imagine the raising of finances will be simplified [purhaps].

There are some excellent deals going in New Zealand. The discussions in the papers were that New Zealand follows behind the Australian market by 6 to 12 months. This information can be used for your advantage. Auckland can be problematic to the uniformed. Some of the Real Estate guys have suggested expecting a 2% rise in interest rates with a 10% decrease in rental as arough guide as to where the market may be heading.

I hope this is of help.

Kegwylo.

KG Billinghurst

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi peter

the other have covered tyhe lease issues well, i would add be careful with them as they set the rate every so often on the current land values as the land will be valued at a higher rate big increases could in in the pipeline.

In regar to finance in NZ you will be best to go through a NZ based bank (as opposed to the australian office) there are a number of excellent brokers on this site who are arranging finance for investors and have an excellent track record. (do a searchon NZ finance). Don’t expect to do any better than 80% finance.

If buying site unseen obviously get a building report (i often just get a verbal one but written is better probably), make sure you check the rental demand and rental prices with a number of property managers, most will even inspect the home for you and give advice about the home the area etc.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

I agree with Westan,
    Take a 20% deposit from Aust and finance the other 80% in NZ. Haven’t yet found a bank that will lend over 80% without needing your grandmother, children and pets as security (in other words I haven’t yet found a way to do it!!)
    Some banks will require a valuation, some don’t depending on whether you purchase through a REINZ registered Real Estate Agent.
    Definitely get a building inspection, and a round of photos so you can get a feel for the place helps a lot as well.
    A written rental appraisal, title search and rates information are also valuable and I consider necessary information to make an informed decision.
    Establishing a relationship with your rental manager is also important. They are you eyes and ears in absentia.

Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer
    “+CF properties in NZ available now”

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Who is the Aussie who has bought 130 properties in Tokoroa?

Regards

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

Muppet
    not me
    if I could buy 130 PI I would spread them out
    glenn

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi Muppet

isn’t me either , my total holding in tokoroa the last time i counted them all was 0. Don’t think i’d be a long time holder in tokoroa, certainly not 130 of them. Muppet where did you hear some aussie has bought 130 there ? for his sake i hope he knows something i don’t about the place.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

@muppet

Hi Guys

Didn’t know that there were 130 houses in Tokoroa.

If driving along the main road or State Highway One and close your eyes and count slowly to ten you will have driven right past the town and seen nothing.

Mind you, you have to be the passenger.

Regards

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig
    Originally posted by muppet:

Didn’t know that there were 130 houses in Tokoroa.

That was my first thought on reading your message.

Perhaps they were bought site unseen and some avid entrepreneur sold him or her the same 10 houses 13 times [biggrin].

GP

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I think Tokoroa is about 14000 people….

Oh yeah and re:leasehold land, there was a great place I was looking at a year or so ago, 35K, GV was 55k, freshly painted inside and out, 4 bedroom, right next to town and the polytech, in a south island town, would rent for 280 a week,
    (41 percent return, anyone????) however the catch was it was on leasehold land.)

After paying the lease of 8000 per year it was an 18 percent return. Still OK, but the reason i didn’t take it was because if vacant……it would be bad. And as it had traditionally been let as a student rental, i was worried about 6 weeks vacancy every year.

I discussed it with my lawyer who had a look at the lease for me. it was in year 7 of a 15 year lease, which meant it wouldn’t go up for another 7 years (meanwhile if rents did go up a bit your returns would have got crazily astronomically good) but then again I was finding 18 percent returns on freehold land back then easily, so why would I buy leasehold? Also like someone said, buildings depreciate, land appreciates, but if you don’t own the land………
    you don’t get capital gains. Still the writeoff would have been OK though, as you could depreciate the entire purchase price at 4 percent….

Dolf De Roos says leasehold can be great simply because a lot of people are scared of it and so therefore you get more deal for your money. but if you are vacant it’s about 5 times more of a liaibility (the different between paying rates and paying rates and the land lease!!)

my two cents

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Can I tack a question onto this thread to the NZ gurus..

Heard there was an huge earthquake on sunday on the north island. Is this a frequent occurance? Is that why most here are buying in da south?

@greatpig

WallFlower,

Earthquakes are common, but huge ones are not (although still far more common than in Australia).

Floods are relatively common in some areas too. The lower North Island had big floods earlier this year and now the BOP’s having them.

GP

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

Has anyone’s property been affected by the NZ earthquake and flood ? I saw it on the news yesterday and it was really scary stuff.

Hope the insurance will help out anyone here whose investment was affected by it.

@muppet

Hi Guys

Hullo from this great land of earthquakes and floods.[biggrin]

The Eastern Bay of Plenty is experiencing a major flood at the moment. Estimated losses will be in the 10s of millions. Main problem is that the dairy farmers are starting into calving at the moment.

A couple of 1000 people had to be evacuated but most are now back home.

If more info is required about earthquakes please look at http://www.geonet.org.nz/ which is updated by the minute.

Lots of earhquakes were felt over the last few days but the biggest was only about 5.3 on the Richter Scale.

Poor ole tasmaninvestor would have been in the thick of things at Ohope.

Regards

@greatpig

Muppet,

I wonder if this means there might be some renovator’s delights on the market soon? [:)]

GP

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan
    Originally posted by GreatPig:

Muppet,

I wonder if this means there might be some renovator’s delights on the market soon? [:)]

GP

Don’t forget to factor in SCUBA gear and daily airfills. I wonder if they’re tax deductable!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but better to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming . …… Hell, what a trip !!”

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Muppet,

Yes, I spoke to TasmanInvestor (John) today on the phone… He is still above water.

I feel extremely sad for all who are suffering in NZ, especially the Dairy Farmers… it is not a joking matter.

I think there are still some families that are homeless from the February floods.

Poor NZ – flooded one day, shaken the next!

Best of luck Kiwis,

Del

@muppet

Hi Guys

There is another 10-20ml of rain due again tonight.

Regards

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.