All Topics / Help Needed! / Spiritual Books

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of lil_manlil_man
    @lil_man

Hey everyone, i am looking for books to develop my spirtual self, and my thinkiing habits does anyone know any of these books? i am looking for alchemist now but are ther any others i should be aware of?

this one is propably up the big man (steve mcknight) alley!

Bj

Profile photo of Karl and RitaKarl and Rita
    @karl-and-rita

lil_man,

These are the books I’ve read, and they’ve helped me a lot. I’ll put them in order of MY preference, buy everyone get something different from them.

1. Caught between two worlds – Scott Russell Hill
    2. The Celestine Prophecy – James Redfield
    3. Way of the Peaceful Warrior – Dan Millman
    4. The Magic of Thinking Big – David Schwartz
    5. I’m Not Really Here – Tim Allen (The Toolman)
    6. The Path of Transformation – Shakti Gawain

I’ve read pleanty more, some very strange ones too, but I found these worked for me.

Just a personal thought, each of us is already a spiritual being, and some on the path wear their teachings like a new jacket to show off. Beware these people. Your journey is yours and yours alone and the map of your way is within, trust that, never an outside source. Listen to advice, but trust the wisdom of your heart.

Good luck

Karl

The only thing that limits us…is a limiting belief.

Profile photo of jamiedellamjamiedellam
    Participant
    @jamiedellam

The book that changed my life (apart from steves)
    is Mission earth by l.ron hubbard it is a ten book series.
    This book made me realize how the world really works and how people really are

Profile photo of lil_manlil_man
    @lil_man

thanks heaps guys, ill go to the library and find it then maybe ill even buy a couple!
    what am i saying?? of course ill buy em!

keep ’em coming guys!

Bj

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Think and grow rich by napoleon hill. Free of charge from me to you[biggrin], click here:
    http://www.milliondollarbookshelf.com/books/tagr/index.php

And on the more philosopical note, read (also for free) Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Just click here:
    http://www.42.dropbear.id.au/jls.html

I also like the “One Minute Millionaire”
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609609491/002-1624418-0095205?v=glance

Worth every cent.[exhappy]

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

When I was ever so very young, I remember the odd bed time story that would rouse the spiritual passions of a young lad. Now what were they? Oh yes.
    1. The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection. Charles Darwin.
    2. The Art of War. Sun Tzu.
    3. The Prince. Niccolo Machiavelli.
    4. The House of the Dead. Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
    5. Fear and Trembling. Soren Kierkegaard.
    6. Man-Eaters of Kumaon. Jim Corbett.
    7. Nausea. Jean-Paul Sartre.
    8. Mein Kampf. Adolf Hitler.
    ….and if I was really good that day I could be heard just nodding off to the last page of ‘F. Scott Fitzgeralds’ ‘The Great Gatsby”!!!
    Cheers,
    Gats!

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

…But seriously. Try ‘Meditations’ by Marcus Aurelius. I read this when I was 21 and it had quite a profound and spiritual impact on me at the time. The book consists of the recordings of passing thoughts, maxims, the musings on life and death. Marcus Aurelius (A.D. 121-180) had been trained in the Stoic philosophy that later contributed so much to christianity. It’s written with a beautiful economy of thought and has been seriously likened to Thomas a Kempis’ ‘The Imitation of Christ’ (Also good).
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

lil_man,

I just wanted to say that is the cutest avatar ever- good job! :)

Suppose I should go on topic… [baaa] the only thing remotely spiritual that resonates with me is Desiderata.

http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/desiderata.html

kay henry

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Try Cosmos by Carl Sagan and Chaos by James Gleick, and The Last Three Minutes by Paul Davies for a sense of perspective.

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People is very good, as is Everything I needed to Know I learnt in Kindergarten.

THick Face, Black Heart is also good reading for all investors.

The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet are also excellent reads.

Plus everything everyone else said (though personally Mission Earth didn’t change my view on life).

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

There is a book called “Powerful Changes!” by John Burley (investor) and Bryan Fergus (wrote a book called the Spirituality of Welth). It should be in most bookstores.

It’s good, but have a flip through it and see if it was you want.

Also the Celestine Prophecy and Thick Face, Black Heart are good books too.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

lil man – excellent name. a great start to get you thinking properly is the series by, m scott peck – the best selling ‘the road less travelled’ and the off shoots.

he covers lots of stuff, easy to read, and central to his ideas are getting people to think properly…

evil occurs due to ignornace and ignorance is due to our inability to think….so he reckons..

Profile photo of mc_2mc_2
    @mc_2

It’s great that you take the initiative to read books in order to change the way you think and the above postings probably have already got enough books for you to read in the coming few months so I don’t have any book to recommend.

One comment though, is that just reading book is not enough. You may want to associate with like-minded people and learn from each other.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins was the book that really set me on the path of self development..

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

While not spiritual, a book I liked that hasn’t been mentioned is Dale Carnegie’s “How To Win Friends And Influence People”.

Some of the biography style books by successful business people can be interesting too. I read one by Lee Iacocca (the man who turned Chrysler Motors around from near bankruptcy) which was good. It wasn’t his autobiography, but the “Straight Talking” one.

GP

Profile photo of skyeboyskyeboy
    @skyeboy

Hi Bj,

Try the business section in Dymocks there are often good books combining spirituality and leadership. I personally like Margot Cairnes books for example ‘Staying sane in a changing world’ http://www.margotcairnes.com.au She really empasises the importance of relationships and trust. argot is from Sydney.

Another book I really like is ‘The soul of business’ which is a number of radio interviews by Michael Toms with various contributors. Publisher is Hay House, Carlbad, California, edited by Michael Toms 1997

“Crossing the unknown sea’ by David Whyte was also ver enjoyable for me. Again available through Dymocks.

On the Web try Spirituality, leadership and management

Skyeboy

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Bj

i recommend the BIG one, the Bible, read the first books in the new testament which is the stories of the life of Jesus. If you want something that will change the way you think you can’t go past this man.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

Well said Westan.
    For once we agree on something!

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I just finished The Camino by Shirley Maclaine.

(it’s about how she did the famous 700k plus pilgrimage on foot through northern spain at the age of 62, which heaps of saints of old did too, and of course she had heaps of incredible experiences on the way! As you do, apparently!!)

If you’ve read her other books you’ll know the kind of thing but this one is the BEST, deepest, and freakiest yet of hers, (though I also love the one where she does the Andes, Lima etc)

Re the Camino, I’m still digesting it actually, the ‘freaky stuff’ she recounts in the book actually makes sense of a whole lot of stuff for me and ties it all in. The Bible, science and history included. It’s jumped to the top of my ‘great spiritual books’ list…

for more middle of the road fare, I agree with Celestine Prophecy as a great novel, not so much as a literary work, but for the EFFECT it has on one. I also loved Way of the Peaceful Warrior by dan Millman, and actually also got a LOT out of his semi-obscure second book, Spiritual journey of the peaceful warrior I think it’s called, anyway the one that’s kind of a work-book.

I also LOVE the one minute millionaire which I have been buying for friends on a regular basis lately – and they’re then buying it for their friends! it’s that kind of book, because it really does make stuff click. Especially if you’ve been reading too many ‘straight’ wealth creation books and have the dollar signs in your eyes, it kind of puts the focus back on the point being to be abundant so you can give back to the community, which was the ‘missing link’ for me which I loved getting from that book. And fun to read, with the choice of reading the right hand pages, the left hand pages, or both, depending on what kind of learner you are! and to me it’s even overtaken Kiyosaki as my fave wealth creation book because it ALSO has a spiritual vibe behind it, however it’s really nicely threaded through the book without being offensive to anyone’s faith (I reckon).

I have read a lot of other freaky stuff too,

joy to the world

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

anyone read ‘the Davinci code’. my neighbour is a wicken! and she thoroughly enjoyed it!

Profile photo of SilverSilver
    @silver

I agree with Westan and Housesonly. How can a book written 2000 years ago still be so valid today?! Will change your life.

Ian

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.