All Topics / Help Needed! / Flat Pack Kitchens – anyone done one?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

We are purchasing a reno delight unit, needs everything including new kitchen, its right on the water and a great price so we’ve gone and done it – again – this is no 5! Has anyone out there done a flat pack kitchen and can pass on some advice. Is it reasonable to expect a couple of handy persons to be able to do it with patience and determination and get a good looking job? How much did you save? And most importantly how long did it take you, the 1hr reno programs on tv make it look soooooo easy but they are professionals with heaps of behind the scene helpers.[rolleyesanim] HG

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi HG

Flat-pack kitchens?
    [grrr] AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!![grrr]
    My dad & did one about 3 years ago. We’re both pretty useful with our hands.
    It seemed like a good idea at the time. What you have to do is double check the room’s measurements. We found that the window, floor & ceiling weren’t parallel. The room wasn’t square and the floor wasn’t even! Nothing was out by much… just… well… enough!
    We had the adjustable legs all sorted and thats when it all started to go wrong. Trying to get everything level. Suffice it to say after a day we were ready to flatten each other.
    Mum cured the problem by calling a mate of mine (a chippie) to sort it out. Apparently it only took him an hour to fix! (Don’t know what he did though).

Had another one to do a year later. I had the solution. I build the carcasses,fixed door furniture etc.(saving a bit of cash), then hired a pro, watched them swear while I had a cold one & claimed the bill on tax.[thumbsupanim]

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

thanks Patrick, will check if we can “hire” help from the manufacturer to assist us – just in case. HG

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

hg,

We’ve found the flat packs very easy to install.

Buy an electric screwdriver – will save you endless stress & wrist strain.

Build yourself a height frame for making sure those wall cabinets are all at the right height (I tend to build a new one each property just because there are slight variants in the height I want to place them.

I’ve never had levelling problems though – just use my big level & keep adjusting until it’s right.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Participant
    @barnsey

Should have mentioned that kitchen 1 was put in an 1830s house & kitchen 2 was put in a 1790’s barn conversion!
    I’m sure more modern places are much easier.

Regards

Patrick

Profile photo of hgwellshgwells
    @hgwells

thanks for the info guys – any idea what cost savings you made compared to getting someone else in to do it? HG

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

OK, the flatpacks I’ve put in have cost around 1/3-1/4 the cost of a designer kitchen.

But the cheapest kitchens I’ve put in have come from auctions. Though I generally buy before the auction if possible.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

In Trading Post you’ll also find whole, cheap kitchens. They’re usually ones that are in properties about to be renovated and often they’re reasonably new. The cupboards, benchtops and appliances are generally available. You invariably have to dismantle yourself. The aim is to look for a kitchen larger than the space you have to fill so that you can juggle the bits. Yes, it’s definitely a project that requires some skill (or a mate with some skills). The benchtops for example will no doubt have to be cut.

I did this once some years ago. For under $1,000 I got a complete kitchen including appliances and taps. It was a pain in the arse, but definitely worth the savings.

Scott

Participant
    @barnsey

HG,
    Have just seen some pics of a friend’s new kitchen. She went the secondhand way. Wow! She & her brother put must of it in themselves (except the usual plumber/sparky stuff). The only other paid work was a bloke to cut the granite tops to size. Looks great and cost a fraction of the new price.
    Have a look in the Trading Post & see how you go.
    Best of luck

Regards

Patrick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.