All Topics / Finance / Starting career in finance

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Not specifically for property finance, but finance in general.

Was talking to the 19 year old today and he’s at a bit of a loose end as what to get into work-wise. He’s currently doing a low-paid, relatively dead-end job as a technician repairing mobile phones, and is looking for something with more opportunity.

After discussing a range of possibilities, he looked in the jobs section of today’s paper and saw an ad for a trainee finance person in some motor vehicle finance brokerage. While it did say entry-level position with training, it also said finance experience or a business degree would be beneficial, which of course he doesn’t have.

So I was wondering, for someone that age interested in a career in finance of some kind, how would he best go about it? Would it be best to start off getting some sort of business or similar qualifications, going the trainee route above, or perhaps some other way?

Not being in that industry myself, I really have little idea.

Thanks.

GP

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Hi GP,

I’d suggest you get the kiddo to look at the MIAA website… http://www.miaa.com.au there is a compulsory course to take on there if he/she wants to become a broker, followed by a course in mortgage lending which is done through the TAFEs….

Maybe a good place to start……

Cheers

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig
    Originally posted by Pelicaninvestments:

the MIAA website

Thanks for the link. I’ll tell him to take a look.

Cheers,
    GP

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Pig,

Here’s a link to TAFE’s finance courses. There are also links on that page to “finding employment” and “getting the job”.

http://www.lg.tafensw.edu.au/2385/1867/courscar.htm

TAFE provides a good pathway for those who may have left school early. The courses also might be cheaper than other private courses, but TAFe is universally recognised by employers, so I reckon it’s more the go than other courses.

kay henry

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Thanks Kay. I’ll pass the link on to him.

Cheers,
    GP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.