All Topics / General Property / Heritage houses

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of alpinaalpina
    Participant
    @alpina

hi all,

how does one go about finding out information regarding a specific heritage listed house?
    For eg, we are currently looking at one to purchase and want to know exactly what we can and cannot do to it?

anyone come across this before? who does one speak to?

thanks,

julie

Profile photo of manofactionmanofaction
    @manofaction

Best place to start is the local council.

Remember, having a heritage listing can often DETRACT from a property value as owners can be limited as to what they can do to and with a place.

It also adds a fair bit of paper work and red tape to things.

But the rule remains… if the price is right, go for it.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Alpi :)

Here’s a website that contains a number of links to all things National Heritage:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~conserv/imovable.htm

Here’s a website you might like. It’s a case study, and discusses reno’s and lead issues for a Heritage House. It’s an interesting story, I thought:

http://www.lead.org.au/clp/racs.html

kay henry

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I like heritage preservation and am not big on modern styles, to me they have no character, however having said that, for people who have houses that are heritage listed yes it can be a right pain the the proverberial.

I guess it depends on many things, but for some it takes away your rights and choices. These include items such as, paint colours, external changes or modifications and in some cases internal, fences, you name it. Sometimes position or the historical connection.

My aunt had a house up the coast someone wanted to have heritage listed, she fought it and won. There was no way she wanted to be dictated to.

elves

” a blind man may see what a sighted man may not”

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I may be wrong here but I thought that you could get funding/grants to assist with the restoration of heritage listed buildings. I can’t recall where I got this information but I remember commiting it to memory as I considered it a reputable source. I’ll keep thinking on this and let you know if I remember.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of alpinaalpina
    Participant
    @alpina

thanks for all the feedback :)

as im looking at a terrace house atm, i appreciate what heritage listings are all about.

having said that, i dont mind the conservative outside facade (thats one of the appeals for me) but internally im a 100% contemporary sort of person and plan to do major works to this place if successful(think dr who :)). my other major problem is that this place is brick externally and ideally i’d like it to be a rendered finish like most the houses in this street.

really want to be sure my dreams are doable before proceeding with making an offer on this property.

a lot has been done to this property already internally so im hoping it wont be a huge drama.

thanks again,

julie

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I think that the info I refered to earlier came form my local council. Have you spoken to the local council that you will be dealing with? If they can’t help you then most likely they will know who can.

Cheers
    Sonja

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.