All Topics / General Property / Interesting little bit of info….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

I know there are readers out there that thrive on filling their heads with useless info,so here’s one for you:
    Did you know that the old (real old) measurements of land was done by “links”? & that it was named such,by the amount of links in a chain (I guess a standardised size??) used to measure with?
    I discovered this recently by looking at an old site map,& not understanding what the length was, quizzed a valuer that happened to be visiting.
    She knew that much,but couldnt convert links to metres for me![confused2]

Profile photo of setmefreesetmefree
    @setmefree

Misty,
    Is this a trick question to find out the age of your fellow forumities ?javascript:insertsmilie(‘[smiling]’)

Profile photo of gsai1177gsai1177
    @gsai1177

Hello,

There are 4.971 links in 1 metre, and therefore there are 0.04971 chains in 1 metre. 1 Chain = 100 links. But Did you know that 1 chain = 4 rods or 0.1 furlongs = 22 yards and/or 198 hands. This is because 198 hands = 66 feet or 792 inchs.
    Your all probably saying well “der” everybody knows that. But I bet you didn’t know that 1 chain = 20.12 metres or 201200000000 angstrom. Anybody that wants to go head to head with me in the useless information stakes had better get up pretty early in the morning!![biggrin]

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi guys,
    I haven’t got the info with me (I’m on an oil rig in Bass Strait at the moment) but I can go a bit further with the measurements thing – how about poles and perches? They’re the next increments down from a rod. I came across these on maps of family property in the UK (dated 1770s!)
    [specool]

(What the &%¤/&¤%# are you guys doing up at this hour on a Saturday? I only get up at 4.45 because I have to!)

Regards

Patrick

Profile photo of gsai1177gsai1177
    @gsai1177

All I know is that 1 rod = 198 inches or 2376 lines. However there are 25 links in 1 rod or 5.5 yards and of course 1 rod = 5.029 metres. If that isn’t enough significant figures for you then 1 rod = 0.001041667 leagues. Hope this helps but of course I know it won’t.[thumbsupanim]

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

My mind boggles…

I thought I was doing well to be able to roughly convert acres to hectares.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

One I loved was the “Intrepretations of Murphy’s Law” – it broke down that famous law into MANY “sub-laws”.

The only one I remembered from it was:-
    “Any measurement is likely to be presented in the least usable measure – e.g. furlongs per fortnight”

Benny

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

My.my,there are some switched on “useless info collection units” on line![biggrin] You’re right that i still cant convert,unless i want to spend a week trying!Think i;ll leave it to the surveryor!
    Also,I’m not “just up”,i havent gone to bed yet![sleepy2]

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

One of our properties has perch and roods (or rods) as the measurements on the title, with feet and inches written over it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.