All Topics / Help Needed! / Rent Cheats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of MangoeaterMangoeater
    @mangoeater

Hi
    I’ve been done out of $440 of rent money from someone who has left. I have tried to get the money back by calling and writing but with no luck. I’m sure everyone goes through this kind of thing. How should I go about reclameing the dow and does any one have the email adress of the credit watch company. Thanks

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Normally I just write off the debt to experience.

However, you can do one of two things:

1. Put the debt in the hands of a debt collector; or
    2. Go through the legal system, obtain a tribunal order and have the sheriff seek to recoup the debt via cash, garnishee or by possession and sale of goods.

The amount doesn’t seem worth option 2.

Also, did you not have a bond?

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of OnetimejackOnetimejack
    @onetimejack

Hi Steve,
    Great to get a reply from you. I was letting rooms in my house and then I saw the problem comeing but I couldn’t get them out till I found someone to take another room as I wasn’t living there. The bond just covered the damage and mess. I have learnt a lot and will surtainly call it expirience. I will report them to the credit people so others don’t get caught by them. I’ll look in the yellow pages for there email. Thanks Bye

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

one other option is landlord insurance, this is nicely priced and will insure you against tenant rent default and any damage they do. Good policies will cover loss of rent till the property is relet (providing the tenant was on a lease).

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Hi mango,
    I’d also like to do credit checks and maybe even police checks on potential tenants.

Can anyone post who they do checks with.

Plain old phone references have got me into trouble so far.[cry]

lifexperience

Profile photo of TinkerbellTinkerbell
    @tinkerbell

Hi,
    Yes, Land lord insurance is DEFINATELY the way to go… I learnt that the hard way. I had a very poor tenant and property manager combined and by the time i took tenant to tribunal to get evicted he was 12 weeks behind in rent, $1920. I am a student so this was a hard hit to me. Luckily the tribunal made an order for him to pay me back in small increments until the debt was settled. He didn’t leave a forwarding address and now the courts tell me i have to get the sheriff to serve him which will cost another $250 and they can’t do that unless i give them the address of my ex tenant.
    Very unfortunate, but worse things can happen. Cut your losses and learn from it… I now have mortgage insurance and pay that little bit extra for a quality property manager! :)
    Tink[rolleyesanim]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by lifeX:

I’d also like to do credit checks and maybe even police checks on potential tenants.

Hi LifeX,

Don’t forget that little piece of legislation called the Privacy Act will make you job very difficult.

For me a good property manager is a sound expenditure of your money – while the tenant may fall behind in their rent they do have access to the tenant’s database and know the legalities involved in retrieving lost rent money.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Ageee totally with Derek, the KEY is a good PM worth their weight in Gold.

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

Hi Mangoeater,

they say “your best loss is you first one”, so given that’s it’s only $440 I’d just let it go and take on board the comments of other posts for next time.[glum2]

Profile photo of hotshothotshot
    @hotshot

landlord insurance and a good pm – all good but bit late now isnt it?
    mango dude asked about money already lost not how to prevent more loss!
    i agree with steve debt collecta or write-off
    put down to experience!
    sadly you gotta move on dude! [confused2]

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Spot on hotshot…but be careful because this way is how controversy and bickering starts. “I said this not that but you said this and I did not say what you say I said etc[biggrin]

As for landlord insurance, let’s expand a bit.
    As far as I know there are three possible ways to insure your income from rent.
    One is with one of the big insurance companies that do a home and content plus landlord insurance. One of this is CGU, (NRMA or GIO do not offer this).

Second option is to have home and content with NRMA (usually the cheapest), do not forget to insure something for content, like carpet curtains and other stuff that is not a fixture (yes carpets even if nailed and glued to the floor are not a fixture), and have land lord insurance with the many insurance companies that offer this policy. You can ask your RE agent, they usually act as agents for this insurance companies.

Third option is the cheapest. For around $25 per annum you subscribe to a debt collectors company that operates in Australasia that promise to chase the money for the next 20 years.

I did some numbers and the end result was that CGU Landlord and Home and content all in one, was cheaper that NRMA + Independent Landlord insurance
    but the difference was not dramatic and perhaps each case is different.

As for the last option, it is better then nothing and the fact that they operate trans Tasman is important since in my humble experience, the times we had a runner they ended up running to NZ with 1200 dollars debt from one of my daughters properties. She only had the cheap option and the debt collector was waiting for them there and my RE agent black listed them on a list that is also international.

On the subject of black lists, make sure you consult them and list a culprit that owes you money for the benefit of others. Despite all the [baaa] and arms going up in the air about black lists, people that are listed are so for a very good reason, they did not pay their rent or damaged the property, and being a landlord does not automatically list me on the list of benefactors for society at large or welfare agents.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hey Marc

Any chance you could let us know the debt collection agency? We’ve had the question asked a few times, but no satisfactory companies were located…

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

The debt collector agency is Barclays MIS Landlord protection or somthing like that.
    See some comments about Barclays and TICA on this link.http://www.rentalhotline.com.au/web/propown/members/downloads/llupdates/llupdate_2000Nov.pdf

Beware that Barclays is not insurance, and they have landed in hot water for claiming to insure landlords against rent default.This is a debt collectors agency charging some $80 ( I thought it was $20…better check yourself) per year.

A typical Landlord insurance is MGA for example charging $207 per year. One of the advantages of MGA is that they pay not only the defaulting tenants obligations but keep on paying untill the premises are re-let, and you don’t need a court order to make a rent claim with MGA. For full details, ask your RE agent, most of them work with MGA or Barclays.

Personaly I find CGU better though, one policy for all, less complications and according to my calculations slightly cheaper than two separate policy.
    Please blacklist systematically every tenant that has done a runner or that has damaged your property for an ammount higher than the bond.
    Use TICA for that purpose or check this one http://www.thelandlord.com.au/

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Mangoeater,
    Sorry to say but at least by letting it go you you’ll be one step ahead in choosing a good pm and landlord insurance policy. I know this is cold comfort but it’s better than losing out on $100k?
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Thanks Marc[thumbsupanim]

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.