All Topics / Help Needed! / Approx 8% rental returns, where????

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

OK, apologies if my post offended but I am still surprised that no one else saw the irony of a Moderator of this renowned CF+ Forum/Site, asking the same question that many naysayers of the CF+ theory ask.

It wasn’t intended to be a personal shot at anyone and neither do I believe Moderators can’t ask questions or are investment experts. But this is a CF+ forum so I truly expected the mgmt of the forum to be proponents of this method of investment. Guess my assumptions led me astray.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Baloo – Excuse me???

Are you asking whether management expects forum members and/or moderators to be prodminantly CF+ investors??

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Baloo,

I too thought it interesting a question for a Moderator to ask. I mean, we’re not talking 10.4% here- we’re only talking 8%- a yield which many people on this Forum could find with their eyes closed.

I did in fact answer the question posed- I answered that, yes, they are all over the place. I guess I felt the answer was so obvious, that I wasn’t sure why it was asked. Everyone else had the same answer too- unsurprising.

It’s fine that Moderators ask questions, of course! But I was just surprised at the nature of the question.

kay henry

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo
    Originally posted by Monopoly:

Baloo – Excuse me???

Are you asking whether management expects forum members and/or moderators to be prodminantly CF+ investors??

Jo

No, I was stating that I assumed that the mgmt (Admins, Moderators) of this site were infact CF+ investors.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Well lets see….ummmmm, well I own all my properties outright, owing nothing on them, so therefore I guess, I am a CF+ investor. But do I necessarily subscribe to that form of investing as opposed to negative gearing???, no!!

What I do subscribe to is, whatever works!!! Be it pozz or neg, as long as it gets you where you want; then who cares what you call it!!!

@kay-henry

Baloo, I am not a cashflow positive investor either. The properties I want haven’t got huge yields, but I know where to find them (CF+) if I want them.

kay henry

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

Hi Monopoly,

In answer to your original question, 8%+ properties in QLd can be found predominantly in the folowing suburbs: North Ipswich, Riverview, Redbank Plains, Goodna, Darra, Inala, Greenbank, Loganlea, Beenleigh.

Cheers,
    Jason.[exhappy]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by Baloo:

No, I was stating that I assumed that the mgmt (Admins, Moderators) of this site were infact CF+ investors.
    [/quote]

Hi Baloo,

I speak as a moderator and there is no cashflow investor here – I guess what I bring (in my eyes anyway) is a reasonable open mind to different investment strategies and some general knowlegde about a range of investment ‘issues’ that may be of use to others in their journey.

As moderator my role is to make sure we ‘talk nice’ and don’t advertise.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo
    Originally posted by Baloo:

Guess my assumptions led me astray.

Kay, Derek. I hear you and understand. As I said earlier, I guess my assumptions were incorrect. No drama here nor do I see it as a negative.

@kay-henry

No offence taken at all, Baloo. If the IP’s I had achieved 10.4% yield, noone would be happier than me :o) But I’d have to up the rent substantially to achieve that, and my IP’s would sit empty and probably become squats- hehe. So I settle for what I can get.

Lower yield does not always equal growth though, of course. I have no greater expectation on my inner-city property for growth (6% yield), than I do for my regional one (9% yield). I just take the market and the yield as it comes.

kay henry

Profile photo of brent2brent2
    Participant
    @brent2

Goodness gracious me,

Even the MODERATORS arguing amongst themselves now.

What has happened to this site so that everyone is now so sadly angry. I have trouble bothering to log in here now, whereas before I used to spend hours going through all the posts. The occasional spat was always a good laugh/read, however this place is now over the top.

Regards to all
    Brent

Profile photo of hotshothotshot
    @hotshot

hey dude there was no arguement just some question asked that was answered like in a true politican style and it was enough to send one of the moderators the better one off this site. Pity she was nice too better than most people in here at times!

Steve said:
    As for the issue re: moderators asking questions -what’s wrong with this? They’re here to lend a helping hand and don’t hold out to be investing experts.

Kay said:
    I too thought it interesting a question for a Moderator to ask.
    I guess I felt the answer was so obvious, that I wasn’t sure why it was asked. Everyone else had the same answer too- unsurprising.
    It’s fine that Moderators ask questions, of course! But I was just surprised at the nature of the question.

So okay already we know your suprised big deal man chill out! YOu said it 3 times! and you were very patronicing to boot.
    If moderators are allowed to ask should there reasons be questioned and by other moderators who are sopposed to work as a teem? Boss says ok ask but another moderator tries to make her look like idiot yeh dude thats fair no wonder she left!

Profile photo of setmefreesetmefree
    @setmefree

okay that’s it, boys & girls you all got timeout.
    I am not surprised 8% yield properties do exist, but to say you can find them with eyes closed is an exaggeration. Even when I spent $230 on a Residex +ve report many of the areas included have a miserable 4% gross yield (by the way I won’t buy from Residex again, it was a total waste of money !). The other difficulties is how does one know how much a place will rent for if it is owner occupied. I know you may compare it with other properties in the area but it is hard.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Setmefree, thanks for your opinion of the residex reports. I was wondering how good these reports really are.

Re:how does one know how much a place will rent for if it is owner occupied.

Well as you say you’d have to find out what other places are renting for.
    I usually go to realestate.com or domain.com to check for rents in the area, for the same sized properties of similar quality.

THis might not give you an exact amount, but rather a range. Then, if you’re still considering buying, you could ask one or more local RE property managers for a rental appraisal.
    But do keep in mind that these are only appraisals, not a guarantee!

Lenders (as far as I know) will want to see an official rental appraisal from you anyway when you’re applying for a loan.

Celivia

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi all,

Just to clarify for me – If an IP is CF+ with a percentage higher than you could earn from a bank account or similar-risked other type of investment, aren’t you on a winner?
    Granted there are smaller profits & larger ones, but profit is still profit that can be ploughed back in to finding & securing better returning IPs.
    I look forward to being able to “do a Kay” and have little or no trouble finding an 8%er. I just need to keep poking aroung the forums to glean as much info as possible.

As for the negative comments about some squabbling on this thread, it came across to me as a slightly heated discussion between several individuals who may not have been on exactly the same track.
    Lastly, thanks for everyones input – without it us newcomers wouldn’t learn very much!!
    [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Regards

Patrick

@kay-henry

Patrick,

I’m a realestate.com.au junkie. I just look through the states, and look at places I’ve never heard of before, starting with my own state generally. So if I see a place called “quirindijaloopungulla” (ya know what I mean- the obscure ones)… then I just look it up, see what houses are availavable there, check the prices, then look it up on google.com.au- population, etc etc etc- and that’s the beginning of my search. I fugure anything for around 50k can probably yield 8%. Now I am not saying I *buy* these properties… I am just saying I think they can be found. For me, there’s too much risk in buying rural. But doing the searches has a number of benefits for me. I get to find out about the geography of Australia, and the house prices etc.

I also have a few ideas tucked away in memory for searches- if there are units available in a place, to me that means that the population is larger- units are built generally as an afterthought to houses, so that gives me a population indicator.

Population decline doesn;t mean a total writeoff to me- most rural enclaves have declined over the last number of decades, with younger people moving to bigger places for educational and employment opportunities- it’s just a national trend. But even places like Broken Hill have now got some more opportunities- Charles Sturt University has a satellite campus there now- so locals can get a degree, and maybe stay and work for their communities- all good, really.

The maps or data like “150km’s from blahtown” on realestate.com.au also assist. One can move from the rural search to the bigger town search.

I also don’t really check out places that are too “popular” amongst investors. I figure if everyone names a town/regional centre, then it’s probable that the place has already been combed over by investors, so I try to find places that have barely been mentioned- but that still have the same qualities- population, employment opportunities etc etc, but these can be “undervalued”- possibly- and therefore be an opportunity for me. Also, sometimes I’ll check out places where the primary industry might have closed down, and keep an eye on it over some time to see what kind of potential that place might have as a tourist town for its future.

I seek places cthat have not had huge capital growth- I am not interested in the cart that’s bolted, but rather in assessing the qualities of the cart- for what it is NOW- and what it may be, in my “gut feeling” or in checking fundamentals, for the future.

I believe 8% are out there- but there is a huge difference in identifying them- and actually *buying* them. If I ever decide to buy rural, I feel like I’ll be equipped to some level, to be able to know the market for such properties. I think it’s also a good idea to keep checking similar places – over and over- for some months or years- to see how things have changed- even if one isn’t purchasing there right now, so one can develop an historical sense of the place.

I prefer units than houses, and I’m appreciative of having a body corporate to fix up collective problems- special levies aside- that may appear. But I also have a desire to buy properties that are post-1987 (for depreciation allowances) so the 50k market kind of wipes that out ;O) Having said that, it’s probably still possible to find some of these post-1987 places in smaller regional places, at a decent price (under 100k- that’s my measure) and possibly still pull in a yield that is around 8%.

Undervalued places can still be found in smaller cities too- and particuarly in a flatter market- just look for “pre-growth” places that other people aren’t talking about, and then check them out on google.com.au and find out everything you can about the place.

I won’t buy places that are high on crime etc… that’s just my preference. Look for places with a point of differentiation- and you should be ok.

kay henry

Profile photo of hotshothotshot
    @hotshot

i know what jo was tryin to say and why she asked the question in the fist place coz we talked about it lots to
    she helped me find a few good places for the small amount of money i got and it makes alot sense and they werent all in uppacumbackawest!
    this is alot of stuff this lady knows and yuo ppls can learn from but mostly it is really important to read every word
    i have read lots of posts were ppls just answer bits and pieces and dont look at the hole pic!
    as long as you look lots and ask lots yu should be ok and in that respect evryone here is right!
    oh and not everthing is on the net
    drive thre if you can look around and talk to ppl who live in area get feel for the place
    walk around to shops or drive
    talk to ppl not just sit in front of pc only thing you going to get doing that is stiff and sore! [biggrin]
    one cool smart lady in here told me you want to find a penny look on the ground first! [hair2]
    btw funny huh – some ppl said strange question for moderator to ask and yet look how many posts and ppls reading it hmmmmmmm? maybe not so strange?
    onya monoploy at least you make ppl think pls come back soon!

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Hi Kay

Thanks very much for the info. Now I understand!!!
    You’re a legend. I think I’ll try & stick to the regional stuff though (just a pref).

Thank you,

[thumbsupanim][thumbsupanim][thumbsupanim]

Regards

Patrick

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Well just for the sake of joining in, we still only buy propeties with a 10% or better yield. That may be residential, retail, commercial, reno etc.

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of Razor RayRazor Ray
    @razor-ray

Kay,

Thankyou for sharing some insights into a potential method of seeking property. I found your post very informative.[exhappy]

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.