All Topics / General Property / Architects on Aussie Housing Problems

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I found this article. It’s excellent as a due diligence check. It has details of housing nd building problems all over Australia.

http://www.archicentre.com.au/media/2002AugustHousingReport.pdf

kay henry

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

That article is interesting.

Proportionally, we find lots of problems in newer buildings are related to water penetration. If it ever rains again on the NSW coast, there will be lots of problems surface. There have been a huge number of building finished since the region last had a week of solid, driving rain. And they were finished in a rush with good tradesmen in short supply.

I reckon if anybody is looking at buying a new(ish) property and there is a day or two of heavy rain, they should make an inspection before anyone has the opportunity to mop up.

Render blowing off is another common problem. I saw a unit block last week that has only been finished for 3 years or so and there are some major problems with the exterior render. Fixing it will cost a fortune. Lots of units and houses of late have a rendered finish. I imagine the demand over the last 5 years for renderers has seen lots of inexperienced guys enter the market. There are lots of dodgy painters, too, but at least paint problems are often obvious earlier and they’re generally cheaper to fix.

Scott

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.