All Topics / Help Needed! / Strata Title Options – Fire Rating

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of hintonjphintonjp
    @hintonjp

Hello

I’m looking at strata titling my units in QLD and there is one thing that I know of at present that is stopping me.

The building needs to be firerated to 90 minutes. currently it is all wood framing so the council said it would be hard to get it approved.

Does anyone know of any products that you can use to increase your fire rating? possibly something you can coat on the roof and the floor?

Has any had any experience with this that I could talk to in person!

Regards
    Josh

~JPH

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Josh

What age is the property?

Must be after the 1974 Building Act !

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of hintonjphintonjp
    @hintonjp

Hey

I have done a couple of searches on the 1974 Building act but came up with nothing.

I’m getting the exact age of the property at present but I believe it was build sometime around the late 70’s early 80’s

It is a block of 4 units.. 2 on the bottom, 2 on the top.

Josh

~JPH

Profile photo of Tools4Tools4
    @tools4

Fire rating is a relatively simple job these days.Fire rated plaster board such as firecheck or fire stop are readily available,and should be fixed to the ceilings of the downstairs units.Look at the Boral website for various systems of fire rating using their board.You will also need to consider any other openings that go from one unit to another,they need to be filled up with mortar of other fir proof materials.PVC pipes that penetrate should have fire collars around them that collapse and squash the pipe in the event of a fire,preventing the fire from getting through.Fire mastic and fire pillows are available to seal up gaps and penetrations such as cables.You would need to check your state strata titling laws with regard to plumbing and electrical cables passing through one unit to get to another.You may find that they can only pass through common property to get to each unit,unless they are underground.If you have timber passing through walls,you MAY have to cut these either side of the wall to provide a rating.Having said that,timber does have a rating that you would have to check.You would need to check the roof space to make sure there are no gaps,and that dividing walls go right to the under side of the roofing.You may also need to cut roof battens as they pass over dividing walls.
    Hope this helps.

Tools

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools
    @hintonjp

Thanks for the Reply.

I have spoken the local council and they have been no help with the local laws for strata titleing. Does anybody know who I would contact to find the Queensland Strata Titling Laws.

Regards
    Josh

~JPH

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Which local authority does the property come under?

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@hintonjp

Richard

It comes under the Roma Town Council.
    http://www.roma.qld.gov.au

Getting the age facts from there office on a search of records.

Josh

~JPH

Profile photo of Silver AngleSilver Angle
    @silver-angle

I WAS IN ROMA YESTERDAY !! TALK TO GRAHAM TIFFEN AT COUNCIL, HE IS THE COUNCIL CERTIFIER WHO YOU WILL HAVE TO SATISFY THAT YOU ARE PERFORMING THE PROPOSED ALTERATIONS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE RELEVANT BCA (BUILDING CODE OF AUSTRALIA) REQUIREMENTS. IF THE BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED AFTER 1975, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONSTRUCTED WITH SEPERATE FIRE COMPARTMENTS.(I AM ASSUMING AN ATTACHED DWELLING UNIT COMPLEX). ALSO I’D CHECK THE FIRE RATING YOU HAVE QUOTED. IT MAY ONLY BE 60/60/60 NOT 90min., THAT IS IF IT IS A CLASS 1 BUILDING. I’M A BUILDING DESIGNER SO LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT A CHAT. I’M IN ROMA ONCE A MONTH IF YOU NEED ANY DETAILS OR DESIGNS DRAWN FOR COUNCIL SUBMISSION[cigar] CHEERS…..

@hintonjp

Hey

The building was completed in 1966. Thanks for the offer of looking at it.

I just need someone to grab the keys and let me know if it is do-able and the cost vs benefit outcome is viable.

Regards
    Josh

~JPH

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.