All Topics / Help Needed! / Floor Coverings/Reno Job

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi All, at moment looking at floor coverings.

Can anyone suggest options, I am currently looking at lounge, bedrooms, kitchen and laundry.

Is it generally cheaper to get floorboards polished. Carpet will be approximately $105 sq mtre. Can anyone suggest any alternatives?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers[biggrin]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Polished boards look good and are good for capital appreciation, however they don’t wear as well and are not as tenant friendly in a cool climate.

A good industrial grade sisal carpet is attractive, modern and hard wearing in my opinion.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Simon, thanks for that info. The climate will be hot and dry most of year.
    I dont think the carpet I was looking at was industrial grade, will check this out.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Marisa,
    I agre with polished boards not being tenant friendly, although they look great.
    I’d go with industrial strength carpet for bedrooms, and good quality vinyl or tiles in the other areas.
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]
    P.S.Check locally for auction houses, they often have “end of rolls” at great prices. If you are going retail, shop today! End of financial year bargains to be had [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Marisa,

I just put down laminate flooring throughout my place which is a cheaper alternative to floorboards. Thats over here in Perth where floors are predominantly concrete slab construction. Laminate goes for anywhere from $15 /m2 to $50 / m2 for floating floors. As for existing timber floors and polishing, I personally think they look much nicer than carpet and are easier to keep clean. You can always get the floor repolished if the floors are too scratched when a tenant moves out.

Just my humble thoughts, good luck.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

diclem,
    good point will check out sales this weekend, I may use carpet in bedrooms only. There’s a guy I could use to lay carpet so should work out OK.

jhopper,
    I also like floorboards, perhaps if I went mat finish this may help. I’ll be getting a price hopefully this week.

Thanks for contribution.[biggrin]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.