All Topics / Help Needed! / Drainage Problem!! HELP!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Hi everyone!! Haven’t been on for awhile due to Cremin and I madly trying to sort out our new purchase so it is habitable for us.

A problem we have come across is that water seems to pool under one side of the house when it rains. It doesn’t seem to have an effect on the stumps (need to really get under the house for mega inspection…) but we can see that the water just doesn’t drain away from the house like it should.

We have an issue with a few leaks in t he roof, ut Cremin seems to be on to that no problem. Does anyone know where to start when dealing with a drainage issue on a property? The land doesn’t slope in any particular direction. The driveway is the same level as the house, which I feel might actually be part of the problem, but do you think we shall have to dig it up???

I dunno…. I’m not even sure of who to call with this sort of thing. WHat trade person would be able to give light on this issue? A landscape person???

Cheers
    Steph.[blink]

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Gee you’re up late !!
    Sounds like you have a drainage problem…..you can create a gravel drain (involves digging as you suggested)
    What is your soil type, (not sandy like most WA land ?)and how come the rain is collecting just there and no where else ?
    There is a product that you can get from a hardware (or Bunnings) that is like a big plastic hose with perforations through it…you bury this where the water collects and it channels the water to wherever the pipe leads to (elsewhere in the garden, or into a soakwell)
    Dig a channel, place the pipe in it,cover with gravel or very coarse sand, then soil at the top.
    Have you had a look at the lie of the land….you sure its not lower where the water is pooling ??

KP

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I would try a landscaper in the first instance. Maybe a plumber may be able to help as well.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Steph,
    kp is right about the perforated pipe. Commonly called aggi pipe or agricultural pipe. This is probably your best bet. If you do it yourself, it is usually laid in an “s” like pattern and don’t forget to give it fall in the right direction.

Before you do that though, check out if there is a downpipe near the problem, or uphill from the area. The down pipe might simply be blocked. Or worst case, stormwater pipe may have broken in the area. I’d call a plumber to sus it out for you, shouldn’t cost you anything for advice/quote.
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Make sure the dirt is built up around stumps likely to collect water.

If the water forms puddles around stumps, this may speed up rotting process.

[cowboy2]

lifexperience

Profile photo of FluffyFluffy
    @fluffy

Sounds like you have been given advise already but thought I would add my experience.

I too have had drainage problems and after getting out a plumber who didn’t want a bar of it I decided to do it on my own. Based on my own experience below is what can be done.

As suggested previously you can buy an Agg. pipe from Bunnings and some gravel. Dig a trench, (at least twice the size, (width and depth) of the actual pipe. From my experience it does not have to be layed in an S shape however it should try to have it sloping slightly. surround pipe with gravel. From memory the Ag. pipe costs aprox $35 per 5 meters. At the end of your drain you should build a pit and fill it with gravel. This way any excess water will go into the pit and subside into the land. I placed my pit leading into the garden so it would act as also watering the plants.

Hard labour but cheaper then getting someone in to do it.

Good luck with your project.

Apart from this you can try a gardener who may do it for you.

Cheers
    Fluffy :-)

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Thanks all. The land under the house is slightly lower than all the surrounding land suggesting a natural inking for it to collect under the house. I shall look into the aggi pipe and let you know what we decided to do.

Cheers all!

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.