All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Roof falling in

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of MrIronmanMrIronman
    @mrironman

Hi all

Not happy! My property manager called to say that the coal range (that I recently got repaired) is now broken and needs replacing. There is bora in the roof and the tenants need to move out because the roof could fall in!!! I had a building inspector in for pre-purchase (said it was fine)and another only a few months ago and he said the place was fine order and only needed a touch of paint here and there. I’m really mad that none of these issues were picked up. Can the building inspectors at all be accountable for any of this.

Regards

Captain

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Most building reports are full of waivers however they are insured so I imagine there must be some accoutability.

Ask your solicitor or contact the Dept of Fair Trading. This must be a commonly asked question of them.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Whats your time frame from the initial pre purchase inspection till now?????

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Have you had confirmed by a reliable tradesmen that there is a huge problem with the roof? Or is it exaggeration by the PM/Tenant? Not saying to ignore, but definitely get professional advice..

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MrIronmanMrIronman
    @mrironman

Hi Guys

The roof was slightly over exaggerated by an over anxious tenant, but there is still bora in area’s of the roof and bath room that have been there for “quite awhile” ie over a year according to my PM.

The pre purchase inspection was done in Dec 03 and nothing was mentioned in the report. Also, there has been several other smaller maintenance issues that have been around for ‘quite awhile’ that also weren’t picked up in the report. Not happy!!!

I found out, through the PM that this particular building inspector also has a property maintenance business on the side. Which on one hand explains why he failed to notice (more business for him) and on the other hand doesn’t make sense at all (should have recognised these problems).

Cheers

A disillusioned Ironman

Profile photo of Da ManDa Man
    @da-man

What is a bora?

When was the roof built?

When were the subsequent repairs done?

I would get a report done by an expert which outlines a) the cause of the problem b) the possible methods of rectification and their cost.

If total reconstruction is the only way – I would consider taking the report along with you and going to a solicitor experienced in construction law.

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

If this makes you feel any better I have also had roof and guttering problems.

I contracted a roofer to repair the leak and he has told me the roof is shot and needs replacing (est $10-15k). Anyway, he repairs the roof to the best of his ability and stops further leaking until such a time as we can replace the roof.

Now the tenants are taking me to mediation and want compensation for the loss of use of one bedroom, doctor’s bills, etc etc and they want me to reduce the rent as well, even though the roof is not leaking.

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Da Man,

The term Bora probably means Borer, an insect or grub that eats “Bores” through wood or tree branches :) i guess termites / white ants are a type of Borer.

Jason :)

Profile photo of Matt KennyMatt Kenny
    @matt-kenny

Da Man,

Two cliche’s come to mind

Quality not quantity.

Due dilligence.

Matt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.