All Topics / Help Needed! / Irregular shaped blocks

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi all,

Currently looking (again) at another IP, only this time the house is on an “irregular” shaped bit of land. I have only ever bought property on rectangular blocks, so this is a newie to me. Furthemore, as this will only ever be an IP do you think it is worth considering???

More info:

* Excellent location – walking distance to primary/secondary schools, university, shopping centres, transport, absolutely everything within minutes!!!
    * Good sized backyard (albeit irregular in shape) enough for kiddies to play (595spm).
    * Great price range!!!! I love a bargain!!
    * Great rental potential, yield would be around 5% at present, maybe a bit more.
    * Post 1985 – depreciation purposes

What are your thoughts????

Thanks in advance,

Jo

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I dont think it makes much difference. My PPOR is on an irregular shaped block. The only down side is that my backyard is a little smaller than the neighbours.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

It wouldn’t matter to me whether a block of land was irregular shaped or rectangular if all other aspects were favourable, like in this case.

Do you ask from a ‘feng shui’ point of view?

Celivia

Profile photo of 1wesley1wesley
    Participant
    @1wesley

Hi Monopoly, sometimes an irregular block provides a quirk or uniqueness that can add value, you have to decide wether this would appeal to a prospective tenant or not. On the other hand it could be a good negotiation tool, in getting the price down lower.
    Also, make sure there are no strange easements on the block

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Thanks everyone!

You’ve been very helpful; and yes 1wesley I will look into the easement issue; thanks for the tip! [thumbsupanim]

Yack, you know I think you’re a legend!!! [thumbsupanim]

Celivia – Fen shoe shui??? Never thought about it, but hey, worth remembering I guess, good vibes and all that; can’t hurt???!!! [tongue][upsidedown][winking][winking]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Monopoly,

I guess it depends how irregular it is, this could possibly effect resale. I wonder how many people infact worry about this when purchasing properties. This certainly would not be a major concern for me unless I were considering buying for subdividing purposes down the track.

From what you have stated it has the LOCATION factor, probably more important.

Good luck [biggrin]

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

From my experience, many of the ‘odd-shaped’ blocks end up larger than the other blocks in the area. There were three odd-shaped blocks in my street and strangely enough they are the only 3 decent sized blocks in the street. They also end up a good price (per square meter) compared to nearby blocks.

You can still use gardens, paving, sheds or a cubbyhouse to change the shape to a more regular one if it does become an issue though.

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

irregular is only a problem when it restricts what can be built on it. there was a 2.3m (or thereabouts) wide laneway for sale or sold in sydney recently, now that is restrictive, yours i’d think not so at all.

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

@monopoly

Hi Marisa, Brahms and Sizzling_duck,

Thank you all for your comments.

SD, yes you can always re-arrange the (garden) furniture (i.e. shed) to give the appearance of a different shape. I believe mirrors are a good option to!!

Brahm, I saw something on telly about that!! Very interesting venture!!

Marisa, Yes my concern is more the “resale” issue down the track. Although I very much a “buy and hold, and hold, and hold” [laugh4] property investor, it is always comforting to know that I can get the best possible price (and that the land shape won’t dampen this).

Cheers,

JO

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

It would also depend on the shape, a yard that leads away from the house to a point could be very useful if you have a garden leading up to the point where you could have a water feature perhaps with a mirror (as you suggested).

@monopoly

Hi SD,

Yes it is a kind of fan shape, narrower down the back (almost to a point). I need to take a closer look, and will try to do so over the weekend sometime. Thanks again for your input.

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Jo

Mum and Dad’s house sounds similar to the one you describe. ie a fan shape. But the narrowest point – enough to park one car on the road (as opposed to the rest of the street who could park 2 or 3) is at the front. At the back, our backyard actually ajoins two whole backyards – so ours is basically double theirs.

I guess it’s the size that matters (although most don’t believe it[biggrin]), so if there’s plenty of space the angles shouldn’t matter…

Cheers
    Mel

@monopoly
    Originally posted by melbear:

I guess it’s the size that matters (although most don’t believe it[biggrin]), so if there’s plenty of space the angles shouldn’t matter…

Mel,

[blush2]We still talking “land” size here???? [blush2] Sounds like “block envy” to me!!!![laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]

Cheers, [lmao]

Jo
    P.S. I know what you’re saying Mel; thanks for the comment (you gotta admit though, it was just too good an opportunity to let slip)!!! You’re a cracker Melbear!!! [medieval]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

[lmao]Block Envy[biggrin][guilty][lmao]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Monopoly & Mel,
    I may get envious if I get to know what the dimensions are???? (of the block)[satan][arrowhead]

@monopoly

Hi Marisa,

I’m not into developing (well not right now) so size isn’t important to me on this one!!!![blush2][lmao]

Besides, I closed the deal on another property today, which I much preferred anyway; YAY !!!!

Mind you, I feel somewhat guilty; [worried] after getting all that awe-inspiring feedback from everyone too!!

Thanks again all; you’re the BEST !!!![thumbsupanim]

Cheers, [sunny]

Jo

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.