All Topics / Opinionated! / $600 bonus

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I don’t care what any of you spend the money on- pokies, ciggies, drugs, whatever. It’s not for me to judge what parents do with their money. I pay taxes, and it makes me happy that money is being spent on people. I don’t think it’s about good parents versus bad parents- it’s none of my business.

I think the only goosd thing about “private” money- as in money earned from wagesw etc… is that noone makes me justify what i spend my money on. The accountant doesn’t say to me at the end of the week “now kay, this money will be spent wisely, and not on drugs or alcohol, will it?” whereas public money seems to have some kind of moral strings attached to it. Well, not in my mind. Once it gets into your bank accounts, it’s none of my business. None of anyone’s business what I spend my wages on…. and none of my business what you spend your money on.

kay henry

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

Maybe I should get a $600 bonus for smoking!!!!

Keep dreaming…[juggle]

Pay tax? who care…. if you don’t pay tax then Australia will become third world country. I don’t want to escape to another country. Three is enough for me.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Riches] [strum]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

<edited>

Actually, there’s been some verrry funny posts in this thread. If people can be bothered reviewing it, there’s some forum funnies in here. Ya have to wade through the usual [hmm] stuff, but there’s some great lines, and I think they were brought out by the [hmm] ones. Thanks for starting it, Sue!

kay henry

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck
    Having children does not make someone more important than someone with no children.

Depends on how you look at it. You have two sets of partners, one decides to have children the other doesn’t bother. You cannot call the former a partnership but a family after the birth of the child(ren). Two have become 3+, 3+ is larger than 2 so how can they be ‘equal’? They ‘choose’ to outnumber the later group, pity the later group later [withstupid]

We all bleed red!

Scientifically, men cannot ‘bleed’, they ‘haemorrhage’. Unless you are Roberta and you were talking to the ‘sisterhood’ your statement like the previous one is scientifically flawed (thus logically flawed [jerry]).

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

bleed ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bld)
    v. bled, (bld) bleed·ing, bleeds
    v. intr.
    To emit or lose blood.
    To be wounded, especially in battle.
    To feel sympathetic grief or anguish: My heart bleeds for the victims of the air crash.
    To exude a fluid such as sap.
    To pay out money, especially an exorbitant amount.

To run together or be diffused, as dyes in wet cloth.
    To undergo or be subject to such a diffusion of color: The madras skirt bled when it was first washed.
    To show through a layer of paint, as a stain or resin in wood.
    To be printed so as to go off the edge or edges of a page after trimming.

As we are speaking in the vernacular of ordinary people, I am wonder which of the above definitions of the word “bleed”, implies exclusivity to the female gender?

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

wow!!! It has taken me a good 15 minutes to read the whole she-bang! So many opinion… Maybe this is in the wrong area…

I agree MA that dole bludgers get WAY too much money and the off-spring certainly aren’t the ones who will be looking after the generation above them. BUT, coming from a family of four children, with parents who were hard working and paid their taxes and we didn’t see hardly a hint of government support at all when perhaps we should have. Not that I had a bad childhood coz I had a very happy one!

I do not mind that my taxes are going to people like my friends who have two children and job share so that they can both get the most joy out of watching their children growing up.

I also think that there needs to be a system or a way for the government to check up on how these “bludgers” manage to get through the system without a second thought.

Anyway, I don’t have children but I would appreciate a little extra help like the $600 bonus every now and then. Should I be excluded from it even though I have been working hte past 10 years, paid my taxes and not had any handouts what-so-ever even though I was unemployed for a 6 month period? I should hope not.

Yes, it is a choice to have children and we should hope that these days it would be an informed choice, but it doesn’t matter what society you look at around the world, you will always have a sector of people who believe they are owed something and believe they don’t need to do a thing to get it.

My 2c.
    Steph.

P.S I think it is about my beddie bye time… Night.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Wallflower, you’re a classic!

MA, you seem to be emulating the very people you despise…sitting around whinging and complaining about your lot in life…
    Get out there and change it, make moves, lobby your federal MP…become one yourself, you seem to have the time. [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

O.K., I’ll try to “formulate an adequate response”…just remember, I’m a stay at home mum and I also happen to be blonde….

Don’t I think single parents are already getting enough?
    Sorry, I don’t know what single parents get exactly, without the appropriate figures I don’t feel qualified to comment.

Do I think I deserve the “bonus” more than someone with no kids, or someone who cannot have kids?
    I thought it was meant for the kids, $600 per child not adult. Sure it gets paid to the adult, and from there you cannot control it.
    I never said I deserved it, I didn’t ask for it, but now I have it. That was the reason I started the post in the first place, to raise some ideas on the best options for the money.

How do I feel about drug addicted mums leaving their babies to go buy drugs?
    Well, whether they get a bonus or not, I imagine they are still going to go out and get their fix. It’s just one less house they need to burgle or one less granny’s handbag stolen.

Simple responses, from a simple girl.

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

I’ve been avoiding posting in this thread, but, Mortgage Adviser, I find your disgraceful generalisations about single mothers very insulting.

You see, my mum was single, and on welfare (at times), and yes, she may even have been on medication for depression. She and my father CHOSE to have two kids… the problem was that he died in a plane crash two months before I was born, leaving my mum on her own with me in her tummy and my 2 year old brother. She CHOSE to stay at home and look after her boys, because child care wasn’t an option, and her family lived far away. I’m sure she had male company from time to time, and I don’t begrudge her that for a second. I cannot even begin to comprehend how she managed to deal with such a tragedy. That she managed to raise 2 boys who are now both doing very well in life is a massive achievement, in my mind much bigger than anyone’s huge property portfolio, and one of my investment goals is to make sure she doesn’t go without anything as she gets older. (I’m 30, she’s 57 this year)

You cannot make rash generalisations and claim you’re coming from an educated standpoint, the two do not go together. It is impossible to judge someone without knowing the full story, and often there’s a fair bit more to it than your own blinkered “populist” views on single mums. Perhaps you’ve been watching too many of the Today Tonight ACA type shows that enjoy getting stuck into “bludgers” of various descriptions.

We share common ground in agreeing that public money can often be wasted, but I don’t think a small bonus for families is a waste for one second. If anything, the family unit needs to be fostered even more, because it’s one of the most important things in a society such as ours. In fact one of the things that used to be good about Australia was that we didn’t begrudge helping each other out, especially those less fortunate than ourselves. I’m no Christian, but I don’t sneer at people who are doing it tough either. Do you really think most people are really happy if they’re living in housing commission, trying to feed a tribe of kids on bugger all money? Your answer will be just “get a job” but it’s not always that simple.

There’s little doubt that some of the $600 per child bonus will be wasted, but I don’t believe most of it will. I think it’ll be gratefully accepted and put to good use.

You also seem to selectively ignore the recently annouced large tax cuts that favoured higher income earners as opposed to those on less than 50 grand. This equates to much more than $600 in these people’s pockets, and it doesn’t matter whether they’ve got kids or not. Fair enough too I say, since higher tax thresholds kicked in far too early.

Words on a screen don’t usually make me annoyed either, but in this case several of your comments did.

My point is that while people choose to have children, they don’t all choose the circumstance they find themselves in and to randomly criticise the masses from your office in Darlinghurst is repugnant in the extreme, and clearly ill-informed.

That’s all I’ve got to say.

r

Profile photo of BlackJackBlackJack
    Participant
    @blackjack

OK… I can’t help it.

I am a single mother (14 year veteran – times are interesting [blink]). I also drink, smoke, eat, pay bills, work, have a car, etc, and got a $600 bonus the other day. Back to the original question by diclem – this money is going towards two new tyres for my car (had a blow-out on Saturday) and two tons of wood to get us through winter (hailing from Tassie here [earmuffs]).

The one and only thing that MA has come up with that I agree with is concerning how the money alot of families are receiving is being spent. The most worrying results so far have been the increased violence in Aboriginal communities, attributed to alcohol, and the turnover from the pokies increasing by up to 80%. The fact that these events were noted the week that the bonus was received does lead me to believe that perhaps the bonus could have been issued as specific to food and clothing outlets or local businesses like the tyre selling place [rolleyesanim] !!!

I did CHOOSE to have a child and I also CHOSE to raise him on my own. Along the way though I’ve also chosen to work at times when I would have earned more on the pension, I’ve also chosen to live within my means (ie. 16 year old car with crappy tyres and no hint of a social life).

I hate dole-bludgers, bad parenting, drug taking affecting other peoples lives and criminals. But I also hate it when people choose to judge my life and the choices I have made in the said same as a means for collectively slamming entire groups of people with just one common denominator. In the context of this argument that could be those that choose not to have kids, those that do have kids, we’re now going gay (waiting on Kay here)… the list is endless.

I love being a single parent, I love my giant baby, I love getting ahead at work, in life and in the property game with the odds against me for the very reason that I am a single parent.

ALL HAIL ME !!! [lmao]

(maybe the next $600 can go towards IP # 3…)

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

The only post of yours I’ve ever deleted is one where I thought you unfairly abused Westan. In fact, that’s the only post I’ve deleted in months. Not that I have to justify myself to you anyway. The condescending tone of many of your posts is offensive quite a lot of time to quite a lot of the forum members, so no apology of any description is warranted.

r

@kay-henry

BlackJack,

I don’t know how gay we’re now going, but I guess if people have tired of slagging single mothers, dole bludgers, drug users, and the myriad of others, then it might be my turn :) BlackJack, I didn’t see your post as offensive or hurtful- I think I see where it was coming from :)

What I *am* interested in you saying is “I love my giant baby.” Just how big *is* the little blighter??

kay henry

Participant
    @blackjack

OMG [crying]

My reference to “now we’re going gay” was about the developing conversation between WallFlower and MA. If my post could be interpreted by anyone as offensive I apologise. I simply mentioned it as another term used to generalise groups of people.

My giant baby is 14 (last Saturday). With a bit of struggling he still let’s his old mum cuddle him. He took me to see Shrek 2 on Sunday (yes… in public !!!) but won’t let me hold his hand crossing the road anymore though. At about 5’10” and with size 11 feet we’ve had to create a few new rules about our body slamming competitions and from now on when I say ‘I give up’ I MEAN IT!

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by BlackJack:

My giant baby is 14 (last Saturday). With a bit of struggling he still let’s his old mum cuddle him. He took me to see Shrek 2 on Sunday (yes… in public !!!) but won’t let me hold his hand crossing the road anymore though. At about 5’10” and with size 11 feet we’ve had to create a few new rules about our body slamming competitions and from now on when I say ‘I give up’ I MEAN IT!

LMAO [laugh4][laugh4] Black Jack, don’t worry, your big baby will hold your hand again, and he’ll cuddle you till you are virutally begging him to let go!!! My son (now 22 – and also 6″2 to my 5″0) was the same…I had to drop him off a block away from the school (not because he was ashamed of me, just “it’s not cool“) He still gets embarrassed when I bring it up, and apologises profusely…..keep up the good work….it’ll pay off!!!

Jo [tongue]

@kay-henry

BJ,

As I said, no offence taken. I just thought you were waiting on a reply from me, so I gave ya one :)

Awww, your kid sounds nice, BJ. At least this post has given me an opportunity to hear about all the parents on this forum and the feelings they have for their kids- it’s pretty nice :)

kay henry

Participant
    @blackjack

Thanks Jo.

Your dropping your own son off at school reminded me of a morning we were running late for work and school. Normally I drop him off half way so as long as no-one’s watching I still get a kiss on the cheek goodbye.

This particular morning, to avoid being late to class I took him right up to the front door. Kids everywhere (all boys school too) and he attempted to get out of the car without the obigatory kiss on the cheek! As he raised his hand to the door handle, I too raised mine to my door handle. Smiling I advised: “If I don’t get my kiss goodbye I’ll get out and run after you, calling loudly that you forgot to kiss your mother goodbye”.

There was a standoff. [cowboy2]

After much begging and pleading I conceded to his release. It cost him three cups of tea!

Negotiation… something I know he can thank me for later in life. [biggrin]

Profile photo of Matt KennyMatt Kenny
    @matt-kenny

BlackJack,

Its good to see the discussion getting back to this kids.

Amazing little (or big as the case may be) things aren’t they.

Good to hear your from Tassie – me too – What part?

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

<post moved to opinionated forum as it seems to belong better there>

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Participant
    @blackjack

Hey Matt,

Hobart (New Town). Moved here to go to Uni 7 years ago and still haven’t finished [blush2].

Where are you?

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

[specool] Black Jack, but I would’ve agreed and then stolen the kiss anyways!!!! [laugh4] (Nah, just kidding)

Ahhhhh the things we do as parents!!!! Which leads to me one final story I’d like to share and that’ll be it from me……

Took my son to his first (and my last) football game when he was 9. All was going well, mum standing back watching proudly, till the moment of truth came….and he got hold of the ball!!! Then it was “tackle” time and all the other kids piled on top of him, bodies everywhere….so mum panicked, jumped the fence and ran onto the field screaming “get off him, get off him…he’s just a baby”!!!!

Oh the shame……..[glum2]

Needless to say, I was banned from going to any future match!!!!!

Jo

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.