All Topics / General Property / Low Doc Loans and the ATO

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Just came back from a seminar, given by the ATO (their annual update) They notified us that there will be an announcement today that will go something like this

“For those ppl who have lodged paperwork for a Low Doc loan that does not agree with their tax return or BAS, there will now be a small window of time when they can go back to their returns and ammend …..before the ATO takes action.”

I mean no-one has a problem do they. Low Doc loans were for ppl in a hurry who lost their tax paperwork wern’t they…..

Gotta love the ATO

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Interesting.

often the ATO only imposes a 5% penalty for making voluntary disclosures. If they catch you making a false return, then it is around 70% and they can prosecute.

If is possible that the could issue assessments based on the figure declared in the low doc declaration (where it is higher than on the tax return). It would then be up to the tax payer to prove that they did not actually earn this amount.

But, I think the ATO is probably just trying to scare people into paying more tax. The can’t really issue a blanket assessment like this – it is really like a fishing expedition!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Terry and all,
    The penalties of 5% and 70% you quoted, are percentages of what exactly? Is it undeclared income?
    I think the tax office would have a hard time with prosecuting these cases. Aren’t lo doc loans for people who are not up to date with the paperwork or self-employed? Aren’t we then really guessing what our income is? I could be $20,000 over or I could be $20,000 under the actual figure.
    I’d say they’d have to allow a percentage of error each way, as I think that many people who are trying to make an honest estimate could be way out.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Participant
    @terryw

Sue,

Those figures would be on the amount ‘evaded’.

The trouble with the ATO is that you are basically guilty until you can prove otherwise. So the commissioner could issue someone an amended assessment based on you low doc declared income and you would have to prove you did not actually earn this much.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

This is an interesting area for me – a lot of my more recent loans have been lo doc.
    Why? No, not because I’m a drug dealer on the side [biggrin] but because last year’s tax returns didn’t look good. By using the emerging profits accounting system, all my costs of buying a property are counted as expenses. It doesn’t matter where those costs come from, (in my case loans from investors usually!), because the house is in my company/trust name, it’s a cost against my business. So although my cashflow is very strong, my tax returns don’t reflect that.
    Lo doc loan applications are interested in cashflow – so therefore my “cash” position looks quite different.
    It’s silly really. Mind you, I hope the ATO doesn’t start looking at my lo doc applications, in the space of 12 months and quite a few houses, they will have varied enormously!!!! I’m sure it will look incredibly suspicious.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Originally posted by Terryw:

Sue,

The trouble with the ATO is that you are basically guilty until you can prove otherwise. So the commissioner could issue someone an amended assessment based on you low doc declared income and you would have to prove you did not actually earn this much.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terry thats my understanding, in the bad old days when ATO staff actually went outside their own building (a liitle harsh actually) they were called “betterment assessments”

And they are very hard to fight. I can vouch for that (clients not me personally)

Lo Docs has provided them with a sample. The hardest thing the ATO has is that if it spends a thousand hours on audit on the general population it comes up with a little more than covering costs.

The Lo Docs have pre selected a population of taxpayers from which they believe they will come up with a high percentage of positive outcomes.

Don’t forget that of 700 odd property returns audited in 2002 a staggering 94% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    were wrong. So even if the income can be explained they better hope the property tax file is in order.

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

If your tax returns do not reflect your cash flow, it means your expenses are high. Being able to pay off loans means your cashflow reduces and your expenses increases further (unless positively geared). The ATO is asking the question “how can you repay these loans when you don’t make any money?”

Precisely – and yet I do make money! Because all the upfront purchase costs are borrowed from my investors, I don’t ACTUALLY spend $30-50k to settle a property – but my tax return says I do. I’ve never really understood this, I have to say!!! Instead I have an outgoing of $x per month to the investor – my REAL cost.
    Mostly I don’t buy a house unless the bottom line is positive.
    This situation will start to change however when wrap buyers refinance or I sell for capital gain.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

@diclem

Thanks for the replies, and and a lot of interesting information.
    I know of a couple of friends who over-estimated on their low docs, one self employed friend bragged about declaring 90k as his income, and I barely see him work! He’s a worry…
    I know my loan repayments are all transferred from other accounts, so there is a definite paper trail of where the money comes from. My tax returns are done every year in June, even though we have much longer to do it, because I like to know where i stand and what I owe. I couldn’t stand to let it go for a couple of years, as some do.
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]

Profile photo of DeClairDeClair
    @declair

Update:
    The tax office will begin a blitz on low documentation loans after a preliminary audit showed 70 per cent of borrowers may have failed to declare full incomes. In some cases, small businesses’ annual incomes as stated to the ATO were lower than the repayments on the loans. The ATO looked at 176 low doc loans, typically used by the self-employed and people who can’t meet normal bank lending criteria. But the ATO is concerned that some people are using them to hide their true levels of income. If the initial findings are confirmed, borrowers could face ATO penalties of up to 75 per cent of the unpaid tax as well as interest.

By Australian Financial Review, 25/6/04.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I use low doc and it isn’t because I am hiding income. If you are hiding income you will possibly get caught. If you aren’t, tell them to jump, you have nothing to hide.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Sue, on the Low Doc loan I just got, I declared a (little) bit more than $90K as my income…

The lender told my broker to make the loan ‘fit’ the guidelines, as they were more than happy to lend us the money……

I’m guessing I should be worried about now ????

Cheers
    Mel

@melbear

Rob, my declaration is more than I earn. My broker did not tell me what to declare. he merely showed me the figures required by the lender to get the loan through. I made the decision to declare that I earn that much. My broker is awesome!! Simon referred me to him, and I’ve since referred some other business to him, and will again in future.

I think Stu wrote an article in API (or somebody did somewhere) that suggested that lenders were, or were thinking of moving away from the $$ figure, and merely asking clients to declare they can fund the loan without hardship. That I can do with no problems.

Cheers
    Mel

@gmh454
    Originally posted by melbear:

Sue, on the Low Doc loan I just got, I declared a (little) bit more than $90K as my income…

The lender told my broker to make the loan ‘fit’ the guidelines, as they were more than happy to lend us the money……

I’m guessing I should be worried about now ????

Cheers
    Mel

I am not being a scare monger, but imagine the scenario.

The taxpayer is sitting acreoss the table from 2-3
    ATO auditors and saying “look I’m not evading tax, just committing fraud, trust me !!!!”

Definition of fraud…obtaining financial advantage by deceit….2-5yr if sucessfully prosecuted.

And before anyone says won’t happen, seen that one play out with my own eyes.Except by that by that stage it wasn’t the ATO they were looking at.

@diclem

Wow gmh, that’s heavy stuff!
    I’m sure that sends a shiver through a few spines[crying]
    I guess applicants think if they can make the repayments and don’t default, then no-one is harmed and it is win-win.
    But then I guess if the ATO gets involved and finds there have been some “over-estimates”, that’s when your trouble starts…from what I hear they are not too forgiving……
    Good luck, especially you Mel
    Sue [rolleyesanim]

Profile photo of aussiemikeaussiemike
    Participant
    @aussiemike

Yes and i certainly wouldn’t advise telling the ATO to go and jump.

Remember an administrative penalty of 20 penalty units ($2,200) applies if a taxpayer fails to provide ALL reasonable facilities to a taxation officer who is authorised by taxation law to have access to places, premises, books and other information (TAA Sch 1 sec 288-35 ). These access powers are very broad. Just look at the Citibank case.

Refusal or failure to duly keep or provide information, or give access to it, also constitutes an offence that renders the taxpayer liable to prosecution . If a prosecution is instituted, however, no administrative penalty is payable. (Great but you have committed a criminal offense – how nice)

For many years the ATO has not had the resources to clamp down on the things that they are now looking at. I am aware of many business owners who are facing amended assessments, penalties and interest for incorrect claims. The Tax Office has equipped its arsenal and many are going to feel the pain of their might very shortly. If your records are in order and you have sought professional advice then you should be fine but if you have tried to evade tax then be careful. The matching software the ATO has installed in recent years is state of the art. It matches Land Titles Office records to personal, trust, company and partnership returns. They have software that matches interest from all financial institutions to your personal tax return. The software is sophisticated and so are there methods. If you have made a mistake then be up-front, be honest and they can reduce your penalty. If you are defiant and tell them to get stuffed be prepared for harse penalties if you are wrong, and also an audit of all your last five years return (at your expense!!!)

@melbear

For starters, I have not evaded any tax….

Rob, what about people who use Steve Navra’s Cashbond strategy? That qualifies as ‘income’ from a bank’s point of view, but all you are in fact doing is ‘drawing down’ on your own equity. That’s what I’ll be doing – using my equity to fund my repayments – in effect, capitalising the payments….. There is no tax evaded in this strategy, as their is no ‘taxable income’.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

still nothing to fear if you haven’t cheated – a big difference between cash flow and expectations vs. actual taxable assessed income.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Participant
    @terryw

The cashbond strategy invloves buying an annuity to give yourself extra income to increase your borrowing capacity.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

The idea of a cashbond is to take equity from your properties and turn it into cashflow, when you’ve reached the point where you’re asset rich but can’t borrow any more because of serviceability issues.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

@gmh454
    Originally posted by melbear:

For starters, I have not evaded any tax….

Cheers
    Mel

Mel, I was using your quote to highlight a general point, you don’t appear to be one of the sample they will look at. Think they first will match self employed taxpayers with Lo Docs, as this is the target sample they really are after, and the ones who usually can easily under declare if in certain cash business’s.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.