All Topics / Forum Frolic / Andrew Johns to Rugby

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

My insider mail says he signed with the Waratahs last night and it will be announced in the next couple of days.

Good thing I think, maybe now we can win a bl%#dy Super 12 competition!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but better to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming . …… Hell, what a trip !!”

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Andrew Who??????

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan
    Originally posted by yack:

Andrew Who??????

Don’t worry Yack, it’s some ex-leaugie who has seen the light and decided to play the best football code in the world!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but better to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming . …… Hell, what a trip !!”

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I heard on the radio this morning that the signing won’t happen til this arvo – some problem with the business consortium’s money…. Sorry Rugs, I reckon the Brumbies will still finish ahead of the Tahs!

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of drhappydrhappy
    @drhappy

[blink]

I am an AFL fan from Adelaide and dont know much about these other silly bloody games but it seems to me Rugby have a problem developing juniors if thet need to keep pinching ready made players from League. Why dont they use the reported $1m they have to spend on 31 year old Johns into developing the better young players and they could get a couple of positively geared properties as well.

Deano

@rugbyfan

Deano

They are just doing to League what League has been doing to Rugby for years.

Some of the best Rugby League players (Wally Lewis, Ricky Stuart etc) began life as a rah rah!

@melbear

Michael O’Connor (from years ago…)

I think it’s good that Rugby now have the money to spend. I reckon the guys switching across, ie Sailor, Tuqiri, Johns, Rogers etc. will encourage young kids to play Rugby as well now – if their heros swap, then maybe it’s not so bad a sport after all……

And the radio said it’s $600K per year. Should be less injuries for the Johns boy, plus it should give him a nice ‘nest egg’ for his retirement. Plus apparently he gets hassled big time in Newcastle, from what Matt said on the news, I’m not surprised he’s happy to leave….

Cheers
    Mel

@rugbyfan

I agree Mel

The fact that he will only be playing 11 games in a regular Super 12 season (but hopefully two more next year!) must weigh on his mind versus 26 rounds of NRL.

@melbear

Sorry Rob, but I don’t agree. Johnsy is still going to have to prove that he can play the game, and if anything, bringing in high profile League players lifts the profile of rugby even further, thus bringing in more supporters, and more juniors to the game – AND of course, more money….

And as mentioned earlier, the funds are coming from a business consortium, not the ARU itself.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

Being a Victorian who developed a love for Rugby while overseas, I think it’s a very prudent idea to get the best players into the game. If people playing Grade now can’t make the representative sides, then they aren’t good enough, simple as that.

The next move the ARU needs to make is establishing a Super 12/14/16 whatever side in Melbourne.

@melbear

Well said Baloo

Cheers
    Mel

Participant
    @baloo

What a shame. It looks like he is staying with League.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9941095-23210,00.html

It’s not great news for Union at all. Someone of John’s profile would drag more and more support over to Union. Union has no chance of being the Premier rugby code in Oz, something it deserves, without more high profile players. Bring back Campo !!!

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I agree with Baloo.

As a victorian I had never had an understanding of rugby or league.

But having spent some time in the UK with some kiwis I came to learn and understand both rugby and league.

From a spectator point of view, I have never played either, I prefer rugby but the boundary throw ins still have me stuffed.

@rugbyfan
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

They can make the representative sides. They are just not given a run because they are not high profile players. The game is being ruined by all the League converts.

Rob

There are really only three league converts in Union now. Sailor, Rogers and Tuquiri. Considering Rogers has played Union before, I hardly think that it is wrecking the game. If anything it adds a certain spice to the game. If other players are kicking up a stink about three converts, they should take a good hard look at their own abilities and see if they measure up. More than likely they wouldn’t.

I don’t know of too many non Super 12 players playing in the NSW Tooheys Cup that have shown selection justification over their Waratah counterparts. I think the preocess of selection is pretty fair and just.

Participant
    @baloo

The Others ? There are 2 others currently. Sailor and Lote. I’ll agree Sailor can go back on current form, you cannot tell me Lote hasn’t brought over something sprecial. The guys is masterful in everything he does.

Andrew Walker was a mistake which I am glad to see has been rectified.

Listening to these “Keep the League people away” arguments reminds of when I was in Europe and the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish were moaning about the game becoming professional. They couldn’t see that it was the best thing for the games future, as is the poaching of high profile players from League back to Union.

@rugbyfan
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

You are missing my point Baloo.

Some players have been loyal to the game for years. Why can’t the ARU be loyal to them?

I can’t make it any clearer than that.

So what you are saying that in the interests of a few, lets not concern ourselves about where Rugby is going in terms of a global sport. Lets just become insular and look within the square.

I am sorry, but I don’t agree. I think the only way for Union to capitalise on its growing global market is to make it more appealing to the non traditional market.

Participant
    @baloo

Surely the ARU is being loyal to the Game. The ARU should be doing whatever it can to expand the supoort base of the game and striving to make it the #1 Rugby code in Australia. After that it can look to take ground from AFL and Soccer. That should be the ARU’s #1 goal today.

This is the best opportunity the ARU will have. The general population still remember the RWC while League is being hammered by sex and misconduct charges left right and centre. This is the time to launch an assault.

@melbear

Walker was great – when he was on the field. It was when he decided to have a few drinks or go walkabout that he became a pain in the ar#e! As a Brumbies fan it was awesome to sit in the stands and watch when he had the ball. Samo of course is better now, but we didn’t have him then…

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

Some players have been loyal to the game for years. Why can’t the ARU be loyal to them?

Top grade sport is not about being loyal. It is all about WINNING. A winning team brings in the crowds.
    Look at the Worriers. Crawling along the bottom of the NRL. The more they loose the smaller the crowd.

Regards

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Better luck next time, Rugbyfan.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.