All Topics / Value Adding / [moved] Looking for property development course

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of AllanFCAllanFC
    Participant
    @allanfc

Hi,

I’m interested in finding out how to get into property development in Australia. I am talking about building multi-family units, duplexes etc not just renovating or single family houses. Does anyone offer course on property development?

Thanks.

Allan

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

There used to be a short course on property development at the University of Western Sydney.

There is also a new book on its way which may be of interest:
    “An Intelligent Guide to Australian Property Development”
    by Ron Forlee
    0 731401 31 X RRP: $29.95

This book offers a sound approach to property development in Australia in both rising and falling markets. It carefully outlines the risks involved and shows would-be and experienced property developers how to plan, build and profit from property development. According to the author, it is not possible to make a quick buck in this trade. What is required is a breadth of knowledge and careful planning. This book gives the reader the former and makes the latter possible. The author has 24 years of experience in the trade and has written on commercial property development and residential property development along with a guide to homebuilding.

http://www.wrightbooks.com.au/forthcom.htm

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of AllanFCAllanFC
    Participant
    @allanfc

Thanks for replying back to my message. Really appreciate your help.

Kindest regards,
    Allan

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Allan

let us know what you find out, its something i’ve been hoping to spend more time investigating also.

regards westan

Profile photo of AllanFCAllanFC
    Participant
    @allanfc

Hi Westan,

Sure I’ll let you know what I have found about property development through research.

My goal is to build or renovate multi-family units then renting 75% out (hopefully that would be enough to cover expenses and give me positive cashflow) and then mortaging out for another project and the rest I’ll sell for quick cash provided that liquidation cost is not going to affect my net profit margin too much.

Hopefully my plan will work out. I am pretty open to explore the US market for opportunities too. There are lot of foreclosure and repossessed properties there that you can get for good bargain and interest rate is pretty low at the moment. If you are interested in the US market check out Florida and Arizona state.

Kind regards,
    Allan

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

this book sounds like a good read. I agree with:

“According to the author, it is not possible to make a quick buck in this trade. What is required is a breadth of knowledge and careful planning.”

developing is hard work, stressfull and risky. If you pull it off it can make you good money, but there are many pitfalls. The guys that do it well have been doing it for a long time and really know their market. The sexy aura that surrounds ‘developers’ is quite weird. When I get cab drivers telling me they are doing a property development, I know there are problems!

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Although I can’t personally vouch for the courses, there is an interesting site that I have recently found. If you are interested in developing it is worth a look:

http://www.smartpropertydevelopment.com.au

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Sonja, is that the ones run by Peter Comben? He’s got an ad in API magazine, but I can’t remember his website..

Cheers
    Mel

@sonja

Yes, Peter Comben runs it. As I said, I can’t personally vouch for the courses and I don’t know much about property development. It just looked like an interesting site…

Do you know anything about him?

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi Sonja

Not sure if I know about him, but if I he is the one I’m thinking of he’s pretty good….

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

John is right.

Every taxi driver and full time teacher all wants to be a property developer and thinks it is the easy way to making your next fortune.

As someone has been involved in the Brisbane property development market for the last 12 years i assure you that it is not easy and without its own problems.

Once you have found the property or site you need to find a way of tying the property up whether it be via an option agreement (if the Vendor understands this) or Purchase Contract.

You then need to engage all of your Professional advisors from Architects to Town Planners, Engineers to Surveyors to ensure that what you intend to do with the site you can do.

Next comes the fight with Council and hours of meeting and telephone calls.

Advertising and notification and many months of ensuring things go with you and that the person you spoke to in Council has not left or changed Departments and taken you file with them.

Finally after many many months you get you Development Approval and if like us you build on the site rather than merely on sell it to someone else and take your profit you are probably another 1 year away from earning a quid.

Oh in between did i mention eveything from Union involvement to Stop Work orders (because some local councillor thought his wifes niece once saw a koala walk down the street next to your development) to labour shortage monthly material price rises, pre-sales and interest rate increases. Oh then finance fall overs (thankfully these are rare) to a net profit.

Oh yes almost forgot BAS lodgements and paying over that GST you had collected along the way in between the odd ATO GST audit and finally enough to invest in another 20 wraps.

Oh to be a property developer.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of KymboKymbo
    @kymbo

A good site I’ve found which offers some good basic tips is http://www.realestatedevelopmentcoach.com
    You can also purchase an e-book which lists the basic steps of the development process and provides planning templates etc.

Profile photo of PeterCombenPeterComben
    Participant
    @petercomben

Sonja and others,

Now that I’m here moderating this forum, I’m happy to answer any questions about the courses I run! Fire away or give me a call.

Peter.

Peter Comben
    http://www.smartpropertydevelopment.com.au

@sonja

Hi Peter,

I have what you might call a passive interest in developing. No time, energy or $$$ right at the moment but would like to know a bit more for future reference. There seems to be an abundance of opportunities of you have the resources to follow through on the deal.

As I said earlier, your site caught my interest. I’m not sure about going into development at the moment, as IMO, the market is flattening out – but it is something I’ve started to look at (small scale anyway) for the future.

Thanks for your reply and it’s great to see you here. Didn’t know you had been watching…

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of LukeAndersenLukeAndersen
    @lukeandersen

Hello all,

Before I say anymore I should disclose that I am involved in providing property development education services for a company named Positive Property Strategies.

There are only a limited number of property development educators in Australia and I notice from reading your thread that most have been mentioned. In respect to property development books there is Colm Dillon’s ebook and Roger Forley’s two books. In respect to property development workshops there is Peter Comben, Redscape, and the UDIA.

We have investigated these workshops and read the books. Without wanting to sound disparaging to them (because we are not in the business of knocking the competition) we found that they did not provide sufficient information or support to equip the up-and-coming developer with everything they need to know to perform their own property development project successfully.

In light of this we set ourselves to create a unique three stage education process to progressively graduate the completely inexperienced property investor into a successful property developer. Having been involved in over $1 billion worth of property development projects over the last 25 years, we feel confident that our educational program is the best on the market.

But don’t just take my word for it. I would encourage you to investigate the competition and compare them to us and make up your own mind. Our web address is http://www.propertystrategies.net.

If I don’t see you at one of our workshops then I wish you all the best in your property development pursuits…

Luke

Profile photo of dannyreddannyred
    @dannyred

I know it might not be on option for some but many of the Universities have Graduate Diploma courses in property economics which generally have a component of development. I have just finished an architecture degree and after 5 years think I’d much prefer getting into development and project management and am currently looking at a Graduate Diploma in project management.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.