All Topics / Finance / The Edenlea finance link…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I didn’t reply to the original post about the offer of Edenlea initially- at least not in a way that expressed my opinion. Given that the link has been removed now, I apologise if I am raising an old matter. But if I may be able to be indulged for a moment…

From the prior discussion, I am aware that some Mortgage Brokers and other members expressed their concern that they were being “shut out” from providing a service. This was merely one of the points that was raised as to why Edenlea ought not be advertised on here.

I’d like to take up on that point (even though it’s not applicable now because the service is gone). Mortgage brokers and others who “advertise” their services on here (such as spotters), have had a pretty good go. Let’s face it, there are different ways of advertising. Merely by saying one is a Mortgage broker, means that people can read what they have to say, see if it suits the investor, and then have conversations/phone calls with them, either by PM, or by phone. I think many MB’s on this forum would have made a lot of business from this forum- it’s like free advdertising with the yellow pages- except you’re not paying for it. A member asks what interest rate the should be paying… and an MB replies with “Blah Bank offers blah % over blah years..” and the member might find out more details from them. I myself know that if I used an MB (which I don’t), that I could find at least half a dozen on here I would use. Free edvertising as soon as you open your mouths, folks- what’s not to love about that? Many would say they are just “helping” people, or providing “correct” information- well, that’s fantastic, but I imagine you have also gained a lot of business- for free- by using this forum.

Don’t get me wrong- I think many of the Brokers here are great [biggrin] but I also think the owner of the site is entitled to be “creative” if you will, and do what he sees fit for the site. Having Edenlea advertised would not have made your business decline. For those of us who know the MB’s- either personally, or by what they say, we would still use your services- for FREE, remember?

Why am I saying this? As any forum member who has been around for a while would know, Steve and I have had our share of disagreements about facets of RE (well, mostly I was disagreeing with him- hehe… but I must say I was a bit chocked to see people- MB’s and others- say “it’s not fair” when they have possibly got so much business out of this Forum. If a person got 5 clients from this Forum, then that is 5 clients more than if you weren’t on here. It would be a pity if people were only on here to get business.

None of this matters now- with the removal of the service, but … really… the owner of a site is able to do what he wants… and others may have decided to use the good advice of the Brokers on here instead of the unknown Edenlea… but still…

Anyway, just some thoughts.

kay henry

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Kay Henry,

I don’t think the service has been removed. Just click the red link on the left menu bar.

I don’t know about the others here but the amount of business I have picked up doesn’t warrant the hours I have put in here.

I am primarily here as an investor and a moderator. If people use me to source finance then that is a bonus.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Simon, I was referring to Stuart’s message on another thread in the Finance section which said:

“I also spoke with Steve this afternoon and as a result he deleted the “PI.com now offers finance” thread. This shows he is just as committed to keeping this forum limited to sharing information as the rest of us. Well done Steve.”

…And I could swear that the red link to the “Need Finance” wasn’t there this morning when I looked?? hehe- perhaps I am just going
    [weird]

Simon, we all put hours in here- I do it for fun really- there’s no financial gain from it for me. It’s an interesting site, what can I say? I also love investing. My point was, people still get to advertise freely, just by participating on here. The MB’s with integriy (including your good self, of course, Simon) will continue to do well, despite any other links to services.

kay henry

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Kay, My comment was that Steve had a thread on the forum advertising his finance section. I had a problem with this because advertising is against the forum rules. I know he is the owner but I think its best to maintain the integrity of the forum (and moderators spend many hours doing this).

I have no problems what so ever with Steve advertising any service on his website (including finance). My concern was with the forum only and it appears that Steve agreed (because he deleted the thread, not the service).

Cheers

Stu

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.