All Topics / General Property / Own Vs Renting

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Oops G7- I think I read your amount of posts as your age! (In which case, I would be as old as Methuseleh). And G7- now that I know you’re so young, you have many many options :) I hope you can one day afford your own home too :)

Bbruham… [blink] you need some sleep!! I may one day own a home, bbruham- thanks for your thoughts [hair2]

kay henry

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by AusProp:

I’ll need to get hold of the legislation and read it as it coud be an interesting strategy.

Hi John

Look at Sect 118-145 of the ITAA.
    Also see TD 51 and TD 95/9.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

G7, I would look at buying a house as an IP, but perhaps paying P&I and paying as much as you can as quickly as you can – at least for a couple of years…. This way it’s as if you owned it, but you are also getting some benefits of being an investor (any tax returns chuck them into the loan too).

This way you’ll be able to build up some equity, which is not dependent on growth in the market. then continue to buy IPs (or buy yourself a house to live in – your choice). Really depends if you will like living where you can afford to buy…

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of ScaryMary64ScaryMary64
    @scarymary64

When My fiance & I bought an IP we had $50K between us as deposit.
    We really wanted a house to live in but even back in 1997 in the Sydney market we were looking at $400K for what we really wanted.
    So we bought a small 2BR-SLUG IP for $215K and continued to rent a 3BR-DLUG townhouse that was big enough for us and the impending kid.

When we sold the IP only 2 yrs later we had an extra $40K for our deposit (after tax etc.).

There is no way we could have saved the extra $40K so fast by slugging away at work and tightening the belt.

We now have a nice big comfortable house – in Sydney, with about 50% equity, along with a mortgate that seems like it will never get paid off – but hey, that’s why I’m snooping around here, looking for some good oil.

Scary.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.