All Topics / Help Needed! / Replacing ropes in Sash Windows

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Anyone know how to do this?[builder]

Profile photo of afloatafloat
    Participant
    @afloat

Hi PurpleKiss,

Done a few (hundred) .

Putting it into writing, here goes. Easier to replace the rope.

At the inside bottom of the window frame (it will probably be painted over) there will be concealed timber “weight holes” Scrape back the paint, carefully remove the “timber plug”. Now taking this plug out allows you to remove the rope and weight, but first untie the rope from the top of the sash.

You can now pull the weight and rope through the hole you have exposed and replace the rope.

To re-feed the rope back up the hole/cavity, stick some rigid wire say 8 gauge, down from the top, hook the rope to a small loop on the end of the wire and pull up through the hole/cavity.

Fasten the end of the rope to the sash, stick back the timber plug, lick of paint, finished. Easy. Usually takes 15 mins.

(Some window manufacturers didn’t have this “weight hole” (cheaper products)so replacing the rope is fun. Usually have to remove the architrave and fish around inside with a small hooked wire. Still can be done, just takes a bit longer. Say 20 mins.)

Happy fishing

Afloat

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Thanks, will have a go this weekend and let you know how my fishing went next week.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck
    You can now pull the weight and rope through the hole you have exposed and replace the rope.

To re-feed the rope back up the hole/cavity, stick some rigid wire say 8 gauge, down from the top, hook the rope to a small loop on the end of the wire and pull up through the hole/cavity.

Would it not be easier to attach the ‘wire’ at the point you originally pull the old rope through? saves you any hassle feeding it through yourself. I’m no handyman but for some reason the logic of it just screamed out at me….

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

The old rope snaps and well, falls inside the window frame cavity so you have to be able to get in there to get it out and put the new one in.

I haven’t done it yet mind you, but will be attempting it shortly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.