All Topics / Finance / Interest only, standard option or not?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Hey guys,
    When applying for an investment or PPOR loan, is it a standard option to have interest only on them, or is this a whole new ball game?

Thanks G7

Profile photo of powderfingerspowderfingers
    @powderfingers

It depends what your requirements are, p&i is probably standard, but i/o suits if you want to keep your payments down and pay lump sums in the future when you can afford it, just make sure the loan is flexible.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

If you go for interest only then you can stil turn it into a P&I loan by making payments as if it was a P&I loan.

The advantage is that if at anyone time one runs into some financial trouble one will be able to redraw thw excess payments which have been made.
    Sometimes a bit of breathing space can save the day.

Another advantage is that one could utilise the
    extra money, kept in one’s pockets because of the lower monthly payment of an Interest Only loan, to pay off other debt (like a credit card) which is at a higher rate than the home or investment debt.

And of course in the case of an investment loan the interest on the loan is tax deductable whilst interest on one’s private credit card balance isn’t so it is to one’s advantage to reduce ‘bad’ kind of debts.

The disadvantage is the possibility that the extra payments one could have made one may fritter away on frivolous things

There is also always the possibility that the lender may possibly change the rules and the redraw facility may be withdrawn.

Or that the lender may ask for either a fresh valuation (which could spell trouble in a falling market) or an updated income statement (which may cause problems for people who may have lost their job).

Pisces

a Broker with solutions
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Pisces is spot on but I might add just a little extra.

Consider paying it into an offset account rather than into the loan.

The advantage here is that if the PPOR becomes an IP and you buy another PPOR then you can draw from the offset and still claim the original loan on the tax.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.