All Topics / Value Adding / Cost of demolishing?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hiya,

Just a thought!

Advertising is a good idea, but if you have people come to salvage who don’t know what they are doing, they are a potential risk. You might need insurance to cover any accidental damage to themselves etc. Perhaps you should check State laws to see what is/isn’t allowed.

Cheers
    Sooshie

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Demolition costs really depend on what they can salvage from the building.If you have a period home with baltic flooring and arcs,skirts,doors,windows etc in good condition,it is more likely you will get it done for free than if it is a non descript blonde triple fronted built in the 70s.I had a mate at work who wanted a house demolished and they actually paid him $6000 and did all the work.Just depends on what the building can offer them.

Tools

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

Wayne,
    If you have lived in this house and will be selling it as vacant land you will lose your main residence exemption completely.

Julia Hartman
    [email protected]
    http://www.bantacs.com.au

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

WOW!!
    Thats a good point Julia…

What happens if you demolish….and say, build two residences.
    Then…sell one,,and claim it as your PPOR,,,how would you go with CGT in this instance ?

This is on the basis that the original residence that you demolished was your PPOR previously…

KP

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

KP,

You would have to live in the new residence for 3 months and as long as there wasn’t more than 4 years between demolishing & moving into the new one and you didn’t use your main residence exemption on another house during that time you would get the CGT exemption on the new house. But no CGT exemption on the other new house.

Julia Hartman
    [email protected]
    http://www.bantacs.com.au

Profile photo of PressicPressic
    @pressic

If the house is weatherboard try selling it or offering it for free. Try the Trading Post. Some people seek a building for a country property for example. The transportation costs are incurred by the person wanting the house. Be careful of unlicensed demolishers. In Vic you need a licence and council permit to demolish. So check with you local council.

Profile photo of nickjnickj
    @nickj

Hi Wayne
    Good luck! Even getting a quote in w.a to remove a house although mine was asbestos. It took 15 contractors to look at it and I received a total of 2 Quotes.The house is still waiting to be demolished the contractor sold his buisness prior to demolition,hence I am now waiting for the new contractor to complete the job.Fingers crossed.[3months wait 5k-7K 2 bedroom fibro includes level block and infill of septics and all council approvals etc.]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

A friend recently had a place demolished in Sydney. He paid $10,000 cash.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of RicherDadRicherDad
    @richerdad

Hi Wayne,
    I too am in Perth and I subdivided my property and intend to build on the rear. My rear garden had a two brick garages, 45cm high limstone wall and fibro shed, both roofs had asbestos in them. I got 3 quotes ranging from 5 – 7 K. Some of the quotes where broken into seperate parts 5k for removal of buildings and an additonal 2k for addiding sand and compacting till the desired level is achived for building.

The site is only slightly sloping. It was a battle to get the quotes, they don’t appear need the business, based on the fact it takes weeks to get back to me. So for a whole house you’d be doing well. You also need to factor in Pluming and electric disconnections too. So if you get a quote for under 10k for removing your house please send me on the details.

Profile photo of investroninvestron
    @investron

Here in far north QLD, we sell the whole building for removal.
    All depends on condition, 10g for not too bad, 20g for ok and 30g for good, costs about 40g to shift and set up again.
    Some removal firms even buy them, set them up on another block and sell them off.
    I wouldn’t be paying anoyone, I’d be looking at making some money.
    Phone removal firms, I bet they have a list of buyers, etc.

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

We regularly engage demolishers to demolish houses as we are involved in proeprty development.

PLease not that you will need to get a demolition permit from a council or building surveyor.

If there is salvagable materials, then the demolishers charge less. In Victoria the cost of demoltion has shot up about 12 months ago because every property that is to be demolished now needs an asbestos audit and finding asbestos (often in the eaves linings) means an extra expense.

Allowing $7-8,000 should cover you

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of rocket2rocket2
    @rocket2

Hi guys, I havnt been online for some time, been busy demolishing an old caravan park to build houses. Be aware that demolition costs can skyrocket if you have say a asbestos roof as was the case with mine. Also dumping costs for waste concrete can also be pretty high, good luck.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

rocket2 – please tell me you don’t live in Summer Bay??!!

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of rocket2rocket2
    @rocket2

Hi Ausprop, unfortunately i dont live in summer bay , im in the hunter valley in NSW, you know, the TAXATION STATE!!

Profile photo of macfadcgmacfadcg
    Participant
    @macfadcg

Wayne, I demolished a house in Sydney in April 03 and it cost $8.5K. C

Profile photo of crushercrusher
    Participant
    @crusher

A friend of mine worked for a demolition company in Wollongong and a couple of years ago he quoted me $6K for the demolition of a standard house. So it sounds like around $8K for a basic house demolition is reasonable. Sourcing people by putting an ad in the paper to get you house demolished and removed can be a very risky and drawn out process. My suggestion is to use professionals, ask about insurance and licences and don’t get ripped off.

Todd

Profile photo of BazHBazH
    Participant
    @bazh

Gday Wayne and everyone else.
    Just thought I’d pass on a recent experience.
    Was looking to develop a block in Country town and build retirement units, there was an old hall on the block as well as an old house, both of which I planned to reno, in addition to the units.
    The house was weatherboard that had been clad in nubrik sheeting back in the 70’s. As it turns out, that nubrik (I thinks that what they called it? fake brick panels anyway) is full of asbestos!
    I was quoted $10,000 just to remove the cladding! This would also be relevant to demolishing.

cheers

Baz

Profile photo of sanshilsanshil
    @sanshil

Hi Guys

Just inquiring, whether anyone knows any reputable company for demolition of house in Sydney?

Thanks

Sanshil

Profile photo of investroninvestron
    @investron

Ask the Fire Brigade if they want to use it for exercises and get them to have the council clear the block for you, because you have so community minded.

You don’t know, if you don’t try.

Profile photo of GoldskyGoldsky
    @goldsky

I have demolished an old house, though I did not own it.

You need a demolition license in order to carry out the work at least in my area of Qld. This requires a whole heap of training etc to secure, so unless you intend to go into this line of work, hire someone!

The house I demolished was out in the scrub a bit, so we did not expect visits from council wanting to see our demolition license.

It is quite hard work! You will be moving the entire weight of the house in small bits as you break it down.

A friend wanted the hardwood framing and provided the transport to remove everything afterwards. I got all the timber wall cladding, some softwood framing and internal timber floor and walls.

This was only a small house and sadly the termites got most of the wall cladding which was silky oak. You could easily pay $2500 per cubic metre if you were buying Silky Oak. I got some Hoop Pine and a nice pile of Brown Pine (not available for love nor money!) Woodwork is a hobby of mine so I did pretty well out of the deal. We left the house stumps and the toilet!

An acquantiance told me that in demolishing an old timber house you go ahead about a day for every day you put in. I take this to mean that if you earn say $150 per day you would get $300 worth of timber for each day of demolition.

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.