All Topics / Value Adding / Cost of demolishing?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)
  • Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anybody knows the approximate cost of demolishing a old single story house?

The house in the the city suburbs of Perth.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Profile photo of EarlEarl
    @earl

I wouldn’t have a clue how much it costs to demolish a block in Perth but I would speak to a company like Washinton Brown or Napier and Blakely before you do.

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

thanks Earl. I spoke to a real estate agent today and he said around 5-6k though it seemed a little low…

Wayne Leech

*Below are links to my websites – any feedback, comments would be appreciated:)
    http://www.landsearcher.com.au – List your land for FREE (Private sellers only)
    http://www.homesearcher.com.au – List your property for FREE (Private sellers only)

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Earl would have meant in case there was the possibility of claiming disposal of assets as a write-off. Napiers and WB are QS companies, as are we.

Scott – Depreciator 1300 660033

Profile photo of afloatafloat
    Participant
    @afloat

Hi Waynel2,

When we need to demolish houses to make way for new builds, there are many companies lining up to do this for free.

Try salvage yards, 2nd hand building suppliers as they usually have their own team of demo fellas. They demolish the property and salvage as much of the structure as they can. They then sell it at their yard at big markups. If the structure is mostly timber, demo cost should be nil.

Most demolishers need to be licenced by WHS. (need licences to tie your shoes together and just about everything else!) We’re in QLD.

Regards

afloat

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Wow, last time I made enquiries regarding using salvage yard was around $7,000, I wish it was for free.. I dont think in WA though…[eh]
    They make their money selling building structure etc, I imagine there would be enormous labour/disposal costs involved too.

@waynel2

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for your help and advice:) This give’s me a good idea of what’s possible.

I’ll factor around $7k into my calcualtions for demolishing – then it will be a bonus if I can get it done for cheaper:)

Cheers

Wayne

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Being WA it is probably brick. Less material to be salvaged and resold I imagine?

I am looking into the same for a timber house. Seems some folks will take them for free or demolish them for scrap as suggested.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@waynel2

Hi Simon,

Yes it is a brick house. Okay thanks.

Wayne

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

In Sydney, I have heard of quotes from $8000 to $20,000 to demolish a house.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I would not pay a cent to demolish a house. After having worked with a selvage yard ( was a good mate actaully) he made plenty just selling it after demolition (even brick).

Well just about anything really he would demolish!

If a yard is charging you to demolish he is putting it over you, and seen you coming. he’s just cashing in on the way in and cashing in on the way out!

No way get a free one :). Put an add in the paper house to be demolished, looking for people to selvage for free.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Jaffasoft,
    good idea, but what happens if someone gets hurt on your property while removing part of the house. Businesses have appropriate insurance in place.
    Compensation/legal aspects?? Just a thought, Dont want it costing Wayne his block[confused2]

@waynel2

Hi Jaffasoft,

Thanks for your comment. Can I ask which salvage yard you worked for? Was it in Perth?

Maybe I’ll give these guys a call:)

cheers

Wayne

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

It wasn’t in Perth; it was a selvage yard in Mt Gambier is S.A. The yard is not open anymore it got closed down when he had had enough. After three years of doing it approximately.

I believe the selvage yard should have the appropriate infinite liability and for there own business, because that’s what they do!

I guess you could ask them if there covered in everything that they do i.e. and sign a contract that states these things in it.

I def don’t think you should be paying to have it done. Since they got something there that they want. So therefore they are quiet happy that you will allow them onto your property to demolish the remaining property structures and fabrications. Etc so you would tell them that there is nothing left to be left there, on the property when they leave. So basically they have to clean every thing up, right down to the ground remaining. Or whatever you want to state in the contract, sign.

This can be easily a contract written by your self with just what needs to be done in it!

A contract does not need to be complicated; it can be just you writing a simple worded set of notes and instructions on what is involved to do.

When I said that about the Ad, I thought that was a good idea. Because then you can get a few calls from different demo companies, probably in your area and discuss with them what they do and what they don’t do. They will probably inform you about what they go about doing and how they do it.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I would approach them (The selvage yard or after they have contacted you) and you say that you have a biulding on the property that you will give them the right to the property and that they can take it all for free!

I was quiet surprized when i was with this guy, when we were just allowed onto a property to completely destroy and demolish every thing that was on there. And use it to sell it as own own benifit. So it is a Win-Win situation when every comes out in front. And you get it much cheaper then you would have otherwise. There scavengers basically, but that’s there occupation and that what they do.

It deppend is you’ve got enough remaining stucture there for then to make money out of. Which genereally only them can do it, because they have the yard set up to sell your things!!

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi all,
    a friends house burn down just recently and , being in a remote area in north WA, we have no salvage yards. My friends were told that as an insurance job, it would cost approx. $100K to remove the old house before they can rebuild! I took this as a learning item for when I get my first home, to have it valued for removal and rebuild! Sounds like they have been targetted for ripp-off. Just some useless info.

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Well that’s amazing. Because it costs 5 dollars a kilometer to have a truck frieght in a grader, that would probably bull doze all that and into a bouble B dump truck.

A house that’s burnt down would be easier.

Hey , i rekon i could organize all that anywhere in Australia and do it for 30k, but that’s only a guess it may be lot’s cheaper. So who’s making lot’s of money?

A burn house you don’t evan need to be carefull with or slowly dismanlte things. I think a house would fit into one dump truck is its all burn down and burnt down agian into a pile of rubble on the ground at the site and if it lots of brick, i think probably fit into a double dump as well anyway.

100 thousand Wooow.

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Hi Wayne,
    Usually the demo company clear the block and rake it level as part of the deal, so that it is ready for the new building. All vegetation is also removed.Thats why its going to cost $6k plus. If you just want the house demolished and removed, then it is possible to get a quote from a salvage yard ofr the salvagable bits, or you can even do it yr self and sell the materials for cash. But you still have the cost of clearing the block to the satisfication of the shire council and the builder before you can commence re developing. Save yr self the pain and heartache, get 3 quotes and take the best one. Statewide are usually competitive and do a good job. Have used them for the previous two I have completed.
    Cheers, KP…

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

I am with Terry on this one.
    Demolition costs can vary greately depending on material, location, council regulations etc

I spoke to an old timer not long ago who has an IP built in concrete and that has plenty of Asbestos lining and asbestos roofing. The cost of demolition is close to 50,000 for the cost of disposal of asbestos and the fact that the council will not allow the use of big machinery for demolition and it must be done by hand.
    Of coure there are also houses who will make a neat profit to the demolition mob.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi All,
    Agree, get the best quote…

interesting it was Statewide in Bassendean who quoted $7000, this would be to remove the lot, trees etc. A very basic small brick and tile home including carport.

I was advised that it would cost less than $7,000 if your house had signiticant features, ie leadlight windows, fireplaces etc.
    I dont think there would be too many people bowling these homes down though.
    [exhappy]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.