All Topics / Opinionated! / Calling all funky women….

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Supa FreakSupa Freak
    @supa-freak

Girls I need your opinions on this one….

When conducting ones own business (we’re wrapping and i’m the main ‘face’ of the company)do you dress in business type garb (nice skirt, jacket, sensible heels) or do you take the more casual approach: Jeans,fashionable top,flat shoes) ?

Now i know your thinking ‘WHAT THE….’
    but i would be interesed in what other ladies think of the whole ‘presentation’ thing.

At home i am the classic ‘mocca chick’, but i think when conducting business it’s a sign of respect to your clients / network team to present yourself as a professional.

And does the same ‘image thing’ apply to blokes as well
    suggestions and experiences welcome
    SF

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi SF,

You are very right, in that image, is a key factor especially when doing business. In everyday life, it may not be so important, as your friends and family will know/accept/love you regardless of your attire, but to a client who knows nothing about you other than how you present to them, how you look speaks volumes.

Years ago, when I was running my own psych practice, I would always wear “business type” of garb, skirt/pants, blouse, heels (need them for the extra height!!!!) and so on. Thesedays, I still see people on occasion at home, and at such times I still dress as if I am going into the office/rooms!!!

But generally, I am a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal!!!!!

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Now let me see… my office wear for today is … acupuncture street shoes, black shiny pants, black shirt, street track jacket… and on the head, caribee baseball cap… Of course, I did actually *choose* this outfit, so it’s not like i fell into it :o)) We wear clothes according to what is appropriate. In my workplace, if I wore a suit, it would be seen as very strange indeed. It would be even stranger if I owned one- hehe.

Remember, a person can wear a suit.. but *for me* they also need to be able to speak well, have good posture, and not wear one of those cheap srinkly suits- not a good look. Nor are cheap shoes.

If I see a RE agent, or anyone I do business with, and they wear a suit but have a sloppy peronality, it is the personality that will leave the impression of them.

SupaFreak… if you are wrapping, I don’t know the kinds of clients you will be dealing with… but I know many people feel comfortable feeling
    *equal* to other people. Perhaps smart casual might be better than a suit?

Yep, so my business wear is more the homeboy look [cap] I could do drag though and wear a nice skirt, jacket and sensible heels- hehe :)) Would be lots of fun! [lmao]

kay henry

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Your wrapping, so I’m guessing that your meeting prospective buyers/tennants/wrappes. Smrt but casual, where something that doesn’t make you seem a power person (you want the prospective buyers to be relaxed and you don’t want toi look like a RE agent), just neat but not way to dressed down (so no to stubbies… or mullets, hay it looks really bad on men, I would hate to see a womon with that kind of style *shudder*).

With investors, business, collared shirts. Think power dressing.

Well thats what I do.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

If you’re calling funky women, why didn’t you just PM me directly….My glomesh outfits are still the main talking point in Moe !!

Even if you are dealing with people on the ‘perceived’ lower end of the social scale, you still have to look neat , no blundstones and checked shirts (yes , espeicially for girls). I have Two outfits for business
    1. Designer lable jeans,flattering top (not to sexy)and fashionable flat shoes (to see clients)
    2. Nice Skirt (just sits above the knee), Up market top and Prada or Gucci inch heels. For selling my business….(nothing else)
    Light make up, let your natural beauty and inward personality shine through.
    Hope this helps, more fashion tips upon request

@kay-henry

Oh Lucifer!!! You said:

“or mullets, hay it looks really bad on men, I would hate to see a womon with that kind of style *shudder*”

Dear Lucifer, my mullet is one of my favourite things ;)) I groom it like I groom my IP’s :) Really, mullets are very urban these days. Every second person in my workplace has one (which is a bit boring for me, because it feels a bit generic).

Mullies rock!!

kay henry

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck
    Every second person in my workplace has one (which is a bit boring for me, because it feels a bit generic).

Mullies rock!!

kay henry

Sounds like you work in Ipswich….[weird]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

At the risk of being seen as an ignoramus would someone please enlighten me what a mullet is (other than a fish) ?

Thanks,

Piaces

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

It’s something that was invented that we never wsihed we had (like chemical and biological and nuclear weapons, etc).

Heres a link:
    http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

God help there souls…

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

SF
    To get back on topic….
    I never dress up to see potential buyers. Usually jeans, pants, and even occasionally a nice tracksuit combination.
    One of the things I DON’T want to do is intimidate anyone. I also drive a very average, 15 yo car.
    I’ve also regularly had one or both of my kids in tow.
    And guess what – if they want to buy the house, it makes no difference at all what I wear!! I think one of the reasons I have good relationships with my buyers is that I’m not that much different to them – I’m a mum, I have an older car, I don’t power dress etc etc
    But it only works because that’s genuinely who I am, I must add.
    In the end you need to be true to yourself, and people will sense that and feel comfortable working with you.
    Currently I have a house available in a slightly more expensive area than I’ve previously sold houses – and I’m going with the smart casual (pants) look. Because that’s comparable to what my potential buyers are likely to be wearing.
    I hope all this made sense, I think I’m waffling!!!!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

@kay-henry

Felicity,

I didn’t think that was waffle at all- nice post, I thought :O)

Lucifer, I love that mulletsgalore site- veeeeeeeerry funny :o)) I do not have that kind of mullet ;))

sizzling_duck, I work in the centre of sydney, at a major urban University – hehe… Ipswich indeed! (not that there’s anything wrong with that!)

Mullets are de rigeur where I work- go figure.

kay henry

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

That’s a good explination Felicity.

I thought we added a particularly nice touch when we rolled up to show one client our IP and stubbie holders and bottles tumbled out of our car when we got out ….oops!….Got the Sale!
    Won’t make it a habit though….

@kay-henry

SupaFreak and all :o)

Ok, I’m done with the mullet chat [offtopic] but image is a really interesting thing. I think having a sense of “style” and developing that is more important that wearing clothes that one *isn’t* comfortable because one thinks that is “professional”. For example… if I see a woman wearing those dreaded court shoes… I just think she has bad taste- even if she might be wearing a suit with it *ugh* But I really find it hard to cope with court shoes… so what may be seen to be “style” for one, is seen as something very different for the other person, who might be seeing those court shoes. (Apologies to women who wear them… oh dear).

Someone mentioned ugg boots… but can we distinguish between the old ugg boot look and the new 300 buck ugg boots that are so new york now? Or do we just think “oh, ugg boots- how awful!”?

At my workplace, you can distinguish between who are the academics and who are the evening part-time mature-age students… The students carry brief cases and wear a suit.. but they ARE still students… the academics often wear sloppy pants, crumpled shirts, and can look AWFUL! So what one wears is not necessarily indicative of power or status.

The head of IT in my University wears loony tunes characters- different ones each day- on his tie! I really love them and compliment him on them- they’re great! The head of another major service on campus wears black shirts and dark purple ties and stuff- very mafioso look- he looks great too. The Vice-Chancellor wears a pair of pants and a shirt like every other dude on campus- they don;t *need* to have a particular look- and the respect they receive is not in what they wear, but in the work that they do.

I thik the point I am trying to make is… don’t try too hard. Develop your own style, and enjoy it. There is nothing disrespectful for the head of IT to wear Donald Duck on his tie- that’s who the guy is, and I like it- it’s a bit of eccentricity to add colour to a work environment.

kay henry

Profile photo of Supa FreakSupa Freak
    @supa-freak

Thanks Gals, I like the ‘dress in a non-threating’ approach.

Cheers SF

Profile photo of maddimoomaddimoo
    @maddimoo

Hi all..casting the mind back to what our wrapper was wearing at various contacts..yes we did take note. Not the specifics of the individual garments, but more, the presentation of our wrapper balanced, it mirrored what our wrapper was selling..Herself and thus her product. Nothing jarred or at that crucial time to us, took emphasis away from the important stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.