All Topics / Opinionated! / What are your thoughts about this ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I was just looking at a topic titled ‘Definition of Success’ and I am wondering how much influence one’s Avatar has got on the people who respond to someone else’s post.

I am (for example) talking about Marc1, Scremin, Monopoly and even Kay with her green monicker.

What image does it dream up in our mind ?

Take Scremin for example. Her chosen Avatar (as well as her Nickname) portrayed a completely different character in my mind than what I now think she is like (after reading her post).

After reading her post she comes through a much nicer and attractive person than my first impression was which was based on her nickname and her Avatar).

Marc1’s Avatar too gives a very strong image which probably also is completely out of character.

Any thoughts about this subject, anyone ?

Thanks,

Pisces

Profile photo of LizzyLizzy
    @lizzy

Interesting subject Pisces – speaking of which, why don’t you have an avatar?

I think Kay’s subconsciously reminded me of a character from a childrens book, so I think she is wise and friendly… and comes across this way.

I like Monopoly’s too – it is very feminine and “cool” and I think that reflects in her posts…

What do you think my avatar conjures up?

Liz

Mortgage Lender

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

A more important question, Liz, is whether one’s Avatar is chosen on an subconscious level rather than one just being picked in a nonchalant manner with no hidden meanings attached.

Pisces

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by Lizzy:

I like Monopoly’s too – it is very feminine and “cool” and I think that reflects in her posts…

What do you think my avatar conjures up?

Your avatar Lizzy:
    A real “blondie” nah just kidding, someone young, (maybe blonde) but definitely female; nothing more, nothing less.

Mine:
    Thanks Lizzy, you’re sweet!!
    But for those who don’t know, it is Jessica Rabbit from the movie, Roger Rabbit. I am nothing like her; my hair isn’t red and I am nowhere near that shapely (I wish!!!!!). The ONLY thing we (Jessica and I) have in common is we are both female!!! Funnily enough, someone in here actually accused me of inviting trouble by using such a “provocative” avatar….pleazzzzzzz, it’s a cartoon character!!!! To the person who said that, if you’re reading this (you know who you are) you can’t possibly be serious????!!!

Cheers,[biggrin]

Jo
    P.S. Actually I believe my username says more about me…..Monopoly, (my all time favourite) Real Estate game….LOVE IT !!!!!! [biggrin][inlove]

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hehe pisces, you want to know the reason behind people’s choice of avators? Interesting and fun!

I’d also find it interesting to know why people choose NOT to select an avator.

So… digging deep into your mind…is the reason you (and other avatorless people) haven’t chosen an avator because:
    *You wanna be mysterious?
    *You cannot find the one you wanna be associated with or descibes you?
    *You dunno how to get one?
    *You don’t have a subconscious?
    *Other reason?

Oh and I selected my avator, possibly because I like the cute, the funlover, the soft, the furry, the innocent, the playful … like little bunnies (Nijntje/Miffy hehe), nice soft, safe bears or this cute kitten.
    Awww I love ’em all!!![inlove]

Celivia

Profile photo of LizzyLizzy
    @lizzy

Pisces… I guess there was a few seconds of thought given to mine.. but it was slightly nonchalant. She is blonde, like me, young, like me and I thought she looked sort of smart but sassy… I’m not sure how smart I really am though, do you know I did an IQ test and it said that I was “smart enough to convince others I am a genius” but NOT a genius, I like that!!! [laugh](probably an overestimation still though)

Monopoly – it’s funny I always thought you picked that name because you were planning to buy up all of the real estate in Australia – so it was all your big RE monopoly. Isn’t it wierd what we think. Hope one day you will challenge me to a game! (NET monopoly!)

Pisces – can I pick an avatar for you! hee hee.

I think Pisces is too serious for an avatar [tongue4]

Liz

Mortgage Lender

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Celivia there is a saying in french (I don’t know how it goes exactly) that says that one person’s fish is someone else’s poision.

I think the words in french are very similar)

The point (I am trying to) make is that what looks nice, cuddly, and attractive to you (or, as in Marc’s case, wise and mysterious) may well give someone else the horrors. [exhappy]

Pisces

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Well, I do like my big green head. It’s shallow, but so am I :O)

And every time I see Celivia’s cute kitten with the overalls on, I just feel a warm feeling :o) Cute is as cute does, Celivia- your avatar suits you [goatee]

kay henry

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by iamborediambored:

Originally posted by Monopoly

P.S. Actually I believe my username says more about me…..Monopoly, (my all time favourite) Real Estate game….LOVE IT !!!!!! [biggrin][inlove]

Pity the ACCC is trying to stamp you out!!!

What are you referring to???????????????
    Me, the boardgame, or Real Estate?????????

Profile photo of BlackJackBlackJack
    Participant
    @blackjack

Dear iamboring,

(that’s it… that’s all I wanted to say).

Participant
    @celivia
    Originally posted by Pisces:

Celivia there is a saying in french (I don’t know how it goes exactly) that says that one person’s fish is someone else’s poision.

I think the words in french are very similar)

The point (I am trying to) make is that what looks nice, cuddly, and attractive to you (or, as in Marc’s case, wise and mysterious) may well give someone else the horrors. [exhappy]

Pisces

Pisces, is it: “Un poisson de person’s est quelqu’un poison d’else’s.”?

Aww come on, don’t be shy pisces, show us your avator! [biggrin]

Celivia

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Yes, Something like that Celivia.

I’ll ask my (French speaking) hairdresser today. I will be seeing him as I am writing a loan for him.

Pisces

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Geez… I’m glad you think I’m a nicer person than you think my nick means…

It’s actually just S Cremin.

Steph Cremin… Geddit????

I could make my nickname Versace if you want seeing as it’s my maiden name but then ppl would probably give me Sh*t for tying to take on an image I clearly am not….

Just thought I would clear the air about my name….. Cremin… Sigh… Bloody married names…..

Steph.

P.s… Oh yeah the little character I chose is not actually related to what I think I look like, I just clicked on one…. Maybe it’s time to change it….

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Do you like my new little cartoon dude?

I chose Hobbes coz he is kind, cute and cuddly but can be the real tiger when needed…. Hee hee….

Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of JackFrJackFr
    @jackfr
    Originally posted by Celivia:

I’d also find it interesting to know why people choose NOT to select an avator.

So… digging deep into your mind…is the reason you (and other avatorless people) haven’t chosen an avator because:
    *You wanna be mysterious?
    *You cannot find the one you wanna be associated with or descibes you?
    *You dunno how to get one?
    *You don’t have a subconscious?
    *Other reason?

None of the above… People generally don’t have an avatar because they’re new and not too involved with the forum yet… like me [cap]
    Then you spend so much time on the forum you eventually seek to visualise your forum persona… through the avatar… so, um… Pisces, why don’t you have an avatar yet? [blink] [oneeyed]

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>Do you like my new little cartoon dude?<<

Nah, looks too immature.
    Better try again.

Wouldn’t it be nicer if one could attach one’s actual photo instead ?

Pisces

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>> so, um… Pisces, why don’t you have an avatar yet? <<

Good question. I’ll have to think of a good reason. (Don’t want you all to know that I don’t know how to go about getting one.)

Pisces

Participant
    @celivia
    Originally posted by Scremin:

Do you like my new little cartoon dude?

I chose Hobbes coz he is kind, cute and cuddly but can be the real tiger when needed…. Hee hee….

Steph.

Very cute, Steph! May be Hobbes would make a nice little friend for my Hello Kitty avator! [biggrin]
    They’re both a little mischievous … that will promise some fun![ohno]

Celivia

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Reason for choosing my Avatar?

Being a new member, I poked around the various forum that interested me and noticed the Avatars. I saw that nobody had decided to “think pink” & chose THE panther.
    On reflection, I would like to think of myself as a cat burgler type – anonymous, slightly devious and ultimately only “borrowing” off those who deserve it.
    Sadly, with some of my early post involving a couple of daft questions, the real deal stuck me.
    Pink in the face, dopey grin….

Regards

Patrick

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

good queastion – i chose mine because i live in a bubble. the world is entirely as i see it and the rest of you are wrong (even if you agree with me you are wrong)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.