All Topics / Legal & Accounting / One lawyer many locations?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Just wondering what you do with regard to a lawyer for conveyancing and examining contracts when you buy property in widely removed places. Do you find a local lawyer each time where the property is or send the contracts to wherever your one lawyer is?

For example, if you bought properties in Perth, Cairns, and Hobart, would you find a local lawyer in each place?

Also, for Australian residents buying in NZ, would it be best to look for a NZ accountant in one of the cities with an international airport (say Auckland) rather than in a smaller city (like Tauranga where my parents live)? Once you have properties in NZ, do you actually have to turn up at the NZ accountants office periodically (to sign tax returns for example)?

And I guess a similar question with regard to a mortgage broker in NZ. Would the same broker be able to help no matter where in NZ the property is located?

Thanks for any assistance. I’m just considering what I’m going to have to do about these services in NZ once I get property there.

GP

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Conveyancing laws are on a state by state basis. Forms and practices are different, so a solicitor in one state might not have a great deal, if any, experience of conveyancing in a second state. Exceptions are border areas where it is common for a solicitor to be admitted in and practise in both states.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I have organized my property lawyer, she will handle everything and I will be sending all the details back home to her. In the home town (just near where I grew up in).

I have discussed it with her. I have showed her the plan and she knows what I’m gunna do. I will deal with one lawyer, probably for many years. She is switched on and up with the Internet age, and quiet prepared to communicate online via e-mails and transfer fax contracts and whatever need be!

Online Positive Cashflow Financial Analysis Calculator.

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig

Thanks crj and Jaffasoft for your replies.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I have used my Canberra solicitor for purchases in Sydney, and Coonabarabran. If necessary, they have contacts interstate that they use to do certain things that is easier for someone at hand….

Cheers
    Mel

@greatpig

Thanks for the response Mel.

GP

@greatpig

Rob,

Thanks for the recommendation. I already have their number (it’s in the phone book).

GP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.