All Topics / Opinionated! / Status Anxiety

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

c’mon kay – get into the spirit. have a go! martin is shitstiring. no need to give him the benefit of any doubt.

yr a mongrel martin!!!

hehe

Profile photo of martinwmartinw
    @martinw
    Originally posted by aussierogue:

martin is jenman in drag!

Jo, now that’s funny – take a leaf.

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

MartinW,

[snooze][sleep2][sleepyanim]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

I totally agree with Kay on that one Aussie, and maybe we should all follow her lead, and when we come across insulting posts in a thread, we should all (as she does) ignore them!!!

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

lets not all pretend were on this forum to learn all the time. especially the regulars. we just wanna chew the fat, speak a bit about property, learn a little, have a go at the shitstirrers, have a laugh and then line up again tomorrow. yack wld be the first one to agree to that summation.

i have never been abusive. although wilandel sound so nice, all the time, im very tempted to hurl some there way.

and kay yr sarcasm is noted

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Thanks Aussie,[blush2]…… I think!![ohno]

I have learned to try and post in a polite manner. If I can’t do that, I try not to post.(OK, I’m sure I’ll cop some cra* for saying that by one person in particular in this thread)…

I have realized that there are a lot of people who actually take things said here quite personally… and after all, this is just a forum! I don’t want to wreck anyone’s day… especially mine!

My opinion, (for which I try not to give too freely these days), I really believe that the moderators should not lower themselves into slanging matches with others so much. I believe that all the moderators have a lot of great advice to offer others, but this constant fighting makes me lose respect for the “forum”.

Ok, go pick the post to pieces…[medieval]

Del [biggrin]

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

errr….getting back to the topic:

Has anyone been watching Alain de Bottons series on the ABC on sundays?…comments?

The book is turning out to be a great read as suspected.

Cheers

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Del :)

You have always been respectful in your posts. Even in the old days of us having disagreements, I never felt uncomfortable about having differences- twas just part of the “argy-bargy” of discussion. :)) I wonder did you feel like [axe] me back then? hehe. Thing is, I’ve never changed my perspectives on RE strategies. But I think we come to know people on the forum and know we have so much to learn from them. That’s why I like this place so much- I’ve so much to learn.

kay henry

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Thanks Kay,

I have always enjoyed our discussions…

Also, by explaining your beliefs, it helps to reinforce what you know (or don’t know).

Different opinions here are good for all.

Del

@kay-henry

wayne- sorry for being [offtopic] I am not familiar with his work, but I’ve done lots of work on class and status in Australia- researched and taught about it etc. Doeshe make reference to the “aspirants”? It’s a new term really, and I guess it’s been a consequence of the discourse around the working class. Noone wants to htink of themself as working class anymore.. so now, they become “aspirational”. Politicians can call them aspirational voters, and noone gets angry at being termed such.

As for me, I am firmly working class- I’ll be a worker all mah life, but I don’t consider myself aspirational. I’m pretty content where I’m at.

I’m probably off track here, wayne- wanna set me straight?

kay henry

Participant
    @aussierogue

sunny del – it was a compliment!!!

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by kay henry:

wayne- sorry for being [offtopic] I am not familiar with his work, but I’ve done lots of work on class and status in Australia- researched and taught about it etc. Doeshe make reference to the “aspirants”? It’s a new term really, and I guess it’s been a consequence of the discourse around the working class. Noone wants to htink of themself as working class anymore.. so now, they become “aspirational”. Politicians can call them aspirational voters, and noone gets angry at being termed such.

As for me, I am firmly working class- I’ll be a worker all mah life, but I don’t consider myself aspirational. I’m pretty content where I’m at.

I’m probably off track here, wayne- wanna set me straight?

kay henry

Kay yes, his work is largely along those lines. It explains why so many people are so unhappy in an age of tremendous prosperity, and offers some solutions.

It would be interesting compare the findings of your work with his.

Cheers

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

@kay-henry

wayne :o)

I just got back to this! I was wondering what de Botton saw as the solutions to unhappiness in this time of economic plenty. Does he see the rich as equally unhappy as the poor?

And most of my “work” on this was just reading everything about class and status, so I could teach it in sociology :) Plus I’ve done some research about disadvantaged groups (a research project on a groups of streetkids in a local area), and worked with some other disadvantaged groups throughout my life.

But interested in what kind of solutions de Botton identified- does he suggest the “spiritual” path or something? Or economic change etc?

kay henry

Participant
    @aussierogue

just finished the book. he recommends some of the following

philosophy
    christianity/religion
    bohemia

amongst others

basically saying all these things give people an awareness of how small they are in the scheme of things. submitting to higher ideals forces etc. will put statuis into perspective – and once this is done you and me will feel less anxious about obtaining it!!!

makes sense to me

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

What is status? :)

The easiest way to raise your status is to associate with people of lower status.

Personally I prefer to associate with the people I like – regardlss of status.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Participant
    @aussierogue

ah yes – but why do we like some people, and dislike others. he opines that we like people ‘mostly’ because of the status they have. he reckons snobs have a lot to answer for……

we hate them but we wanna be accepted by them…

most of us dont have enuf introspection to know exactly why we are attracted to certain types of people…this to me is as valid a reason as any..

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

ok

I haven’t read all this thread, but the line that we “mostly” like people because of the status they have is complete crap, at least from my point of view. I’m attracted to people who give a stuff about each other and can talk about more than what car they’re hoping to trade up to next time at the dealer… Genuine, straight down the line type people…

Who wants to be accepted by snobs anyway? God knows I work with enough of them in TV, but that doesn’t mean I seek their approval or pats on the head…

Accept me as I am or don’t accept me at all. My core group of friends are people I’ve known since I was 12… we’ve gone in all sorts of different directions, some are flying, some are struggling, but as a group they’re the best people I know, regardless of status.

I don’t think it’s a matter of being introspective, it’s quite basic (for me anyway)… but at the same time I guess it’s a very individual question to answer.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Richmond, you choose the people you like according to an assessment you make, your perception of others.

You make in this assessment a series of attributions, (there are some very interesting theories about how we make such attributions).

After doing so you will choose the person with the characters you attribute (not necessarily accurately) and match it to your values.

Yet this process is neither conscious nor logical. Just like you don’t know why you like a girl/ lady (don’t know your age) over another, you make friends for reasons you intellectualise but that are probably very far from the real reasons. These reasons reside in the information programmed into your subconscious.
    To reject the concept that we make friends according to their status, is understandable since we have been indoctrinated with the idea that there is something inherently wrong with success or high achievement, yet the fact remains that you choose your friends according to the values you attribute to them, and that is the definition of status according to your own scale of values.
    Depending on the position of your scale of values on the Gauss Bell “your” status will coincide with the average definition or not.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

So according to Marc….

Status means whatever criteria you use to choose your friends – consciously or unconsciously.

Well who can argue with such a flexible definition of status :)

BTW: I always know WHY I like one lady over another. If you don’t know why you like one lady above all others, IMHO you’re not serious enough to form a lifetime relationship with her.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Participant
    @aussierogue

its not as simple as saying i like this person because they have a nice car and nice house. its more subtle. its like saying i am friends with these people we have lots incommon. well why fdo you have lots in common. the answer usually has something to do with status. ie we grew up in the same area (socio econmic background), we went to the same schools, we like playing golf together etc etc….

acceptance by snobs is subtle aswell. have you ever noticed that sometimes you catch yourself speaking differently or acting differently depending on the social environment your in??? we all do it…..

the good ones know we do it and try and be conscience of doing it so we dont contiue doing it because doing it is stupid…thats called awareness…

as to why we pick our partners
    a huge percentage of marriages end in divorce….is it possible we choose people without really thinking why we are attracted to them and possibly for thge wrong reasons??? it happens all the time..

the author makes an interesting observation about philosophy and people. he says that when you become interested in philosophy and you start to understand the human condition you begin to realise that ‘most people know very little most of the the time’ ie that once you realise that people in general dont know what they are doing then the world becomes a pretty lonely place, but its quite empowering because armed with this knowledge you no longer take what people say too seriously…hence you can deal with stupid things like kjeeping up with the jones’s much better..

this is quite controversial and will probably make those of us who THINK we know everything quite uncomfortable..

and by the way even if you dont agree with him his points have hit a nerve – for a philosophy book (reads like a text book) its been on the bestsellers list for sometime..

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.