All Topics / Opinionated! / Status Anxiety

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

I have just bought the book by Alain de Botton “Status Anxiety”

As a confirmed antisnob I am looking forward to a great read; Alain is a very thoughtful and articlate student of philosophy.

I think it would be a useful read for anyone with aspirations .

http://www.alaindebotton.com/status.htm

Cheers

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

wayne from a fellow antisnob – yep its a good book. he was on the sunday programme 2 weeks ago with jana wendt. great stuff..

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

He was the one that the sbs show I “vaguely” talked about in my “Definition of Success” thread…. Oh… I shall have a gander at his book then…. didn’t really pay much attention to him… was to busy listening to the real people in the audience….

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

A bit of trivia for us pedants[specs]

“The word ‘snobbery’ came into use for the first time in England during the 1820’s. It was said to derive from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing sine nobilitate (without nobility) or ‘s.nob. next to names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic peers.

In the words earliest days it was taken to mean someone without high status but quickly assumed it’s modern and almost diametrically opposed meaning: Someone offended by the lack of status in others. It was also clear that those who used the word were doing so perjoratively, to describe a process of discrimination they found regrettable and worthy of mockery.”

Interesting eh!….er, well I found it interesting anyway. LOL

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of martinwmartinw
    @martinw

Status anxiety is perpetuated by an individuals need to be accepted as an equal. In a democratic meritocracy we all have the same chances. If we make it then we can pat ourselves on the back and can be proud of the fact that we did it with our own mettle. Conversely, if we don’t make it then we only have ourselves to blame.

Trouble is this site is not democratic, it’s heavily biased towards followers of Steve and his version of the world, and this little world that you all participate in is one of the worst examples of status and boasting rights.

Hang on, I feel an anxiety attack brought on by my one-star rating. Better go and get some therapy. How about I read another chapter of Steve’s book, or will that make me make me feel worse?

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

MartinW,

Such insight!!! Are you speaking from a professional/trained perspective or is this something that you read in a book, and if so, whose theory are you referring????

The reason for my question is based on my past familiarity with your previous posts in this forum. Are you not that infamous “Jemnman” advocate and anti-Steve Mcknight poster????????

Jo

@martinw

[edited by admin]

@monopoly

And judging from that comment MartinW, I see a well-mannered one at that (NOT)!!! [wacko]

@martinw

Monopoly,

Here is a pretty reasonable definition of the term moderate:

An officer who presides over an assembly to preserve order and regulate the proceedings.

Let’s analyse your two responses to my posts:

You said:

“Such insight!!! Are you speaking from a professional/trained perspective or is this something that you read in a book, and if so, whose theory are you referring????”

I say:

I wonder if sarcasm is the top of the list at moderator school?

You said:

“And judging from that comment MartinW, I see a well-mannered one at that (NOT)!!!”

I say:

Again wonderful sarcasm – especially the “NOT” bit, just in case we did not understand your attempt at humour.

All you have done is proven my point that this site is bias when moderators like you are consistently partisan with your views. Notwithstanding the dubious approach you have to “moderating”.

You do seem to clash with other contributors don’t you, eg your impartial dealings with The Eccentric (NOT)!!!.

I have seen a number of posts that ask the question; what qualifies a person to be a moderator? Obviously nothing.

PS you picked a great name for yourself; Monopoly. Here’s another dictionary definition:

Monopoly – Exclusive control by one group or person.

@martinw

The Mortgage Advisor,

The point I am making is that Monopoly appears to have clashed with forum posters. Your postings ad weight to that argument, whether you like it or not. If you do not appreciate being used as an example, why make your views public?

Finally:

You say:

“Regarding Jenman, I think he is a tosser.”

Back to you –

“The uneducated person resorts to insults and threats when they have nothing to contribute.”

@monopoly

MartinW,

Your observations are commendable, as is your ability to insult. You obviously enjoy focussing on others shortcomings as a means of deflectling from those of your own.

True there was sarcasm in both my comments, and I make no apologies to you or anyone else for that; but in this case, I feel that sarcasm is far more appropriate than direct attack as you so clearly demonstrated in your comments (not only to myself) but others in this forum, in particular to those who follow the McKnight teachings!!!

Which, if you have done your homework and read all my posts, will know is not a philosophy to which I subscribe. However, I admire Steve’s McKnight’s achievements, as I do those of any like-minded successful businessman/woman.

I know for a fact that Steve does not expect people in here to become his “followers” and hence produce another cult-like orgnaisation, which is why people like myself and you are welcomed and encouraged to participate/contribute for the benefit of all….regardless of their convictions. Even to the point of asking (formerly) anti-Mcknighter’s to become moderators (myelf and at least one other that springs to mind, but shall remain nameless).

You are welcome to participate and encourage to share of your (no doubt) valuable experiences/knowledge, but to blatantly come to the site to attack Steve McKnight without any just cause, other than, because you disagree is purely childish and disrespectful to say the least!!

You can look up your dictionary, define words used by me or others, scrutinise my past posts, marvel at my past disagreements etc etc….go for it, knock yourself out…..if it all amuses you, then your sense of humour far exceeds your brain capacity, to which I care to know nothing of!!!!

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Martin,

You ask about the role of a moderator. When Steve asked me to moderate, he said just two things: to delete ads and posts that I found to be personally offensive.

That is the only role I have. Apart from that, I am just a participant in this Forum. I agree with some things people say, and disagree with other things. And I have my own opinions. Being a moderator doesn’t mean you lose your opinions.

but really- it’s a very minimal role… delete ads and posts I find personally offensive. It’s not like some powertrip.

kay henry

@martinw

Monopoly,

I think you forgot the heading of this forum – Opinionated.

“Have something to get off your chest”.

I think posters are also invited to “ step onto our soapbox and have your say”. Why do you get all shitty when people do? Lighten up, it’s only a bit of fun.

Back to the fun…

You say

“but to blatantly come to the site to attack Steve McKnight without any just cause, other than, because you disagree is purely childishness and disrespectful to say the least!!”

Unless it has escaped you, I have little respect for Steve’s methods, and I’m not sure that I would consider it childish to have a go now and again, it’s how we get balance. Bottom-line here is you plainly just don’t like my approach (albeit a bit of a sledgehammer one), and you can’t think of any other way to respond other than to retort with suppositions about my intellect and purposes.

Whilst we’re having fun, I’m not sure why sarcasm any more or less appropriate than a direct attack. Not to labour this too much, but a dictionary definition of sarcasm is:

sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

By this definition are you not just as guilty as me?

And the point you really missed is the criticism that you should moderate, not take sides.

@monopoly

MartinW,

Just a brief question if I may (of which you may well consider sarcastic in nature, nonetheless if I may proceed….) Do you always hide behind your dictionary definitions to justify your behaviour?

As for your approach, you’re correct, I don’t like it, and my suppostions of your intellect and purposes are merely the endorsements of your ignorance which you otherwise profess as knowledge.

Having “a go now and again” is fine, but when it is to ridicule or be offensive, it is no longer considered in good taste and to continue unnecessarily is (sorry to disappoint you) IMO childish and disrepectful.

As for being a moderator, I think Kay said it perfectly; as moderators we are asked to edit or delete posts which advertise or are offensive, that is all…..our opinions, and the right to express same, remain unchanged. Just because I am a moderator does not mean I have to agree, or indeed for that matter, like your approach.

Furthermore, as I indicated earlier, you are welcome to post as you see fit, however, offensive posts will continue to be edited/deleted, however my mistake here in this thread, was to waste my time with the likes of you!

Jo

@martinw

Jo,

Wow touchy!!!

Just for those of you who are interested, the bit that was edited was where I suggested that much of the advice given on these pages came from peoples’ bottoms (only I used the more colourful word beginning with A). I presume it was cut because the editor was concerned that none of you were able to make your own minds up about me, my aims and the content of the discussion thread. Unless of course Jo finds the A word genuinely offensive.

Although I really think it was her attempt to provoke because it really was nothing your granny would blush at. Jo are you an old granny?

@monopoly

FYI MartinW, I did not edit your post!!!

@martinw
    Originally posted by Monopoly:

I am as much a granny as you are infantile!!!

Jo, you walked right into this one. You think I’m immensely infantile, so can we deduce anything from that? , Unless of course you’re a gorgeous young girl (perhaps blond) and, by deductive reasoning, you are telling me I’m very mature. Thank you!

The Mortgage Advisor – not sure where the idea came from that I was an advocate of Jenman. I think it goes back to a post I made that referenced an article by Jenman. Again this demonstrates my point because many of the regulars, including moderators’ mischievous little minds went into overdrive spouting how I was an “agent of Neil Jenman’ to draw attention from my comments about Steve and his book.

Nothing could be further from the truth. So I really do not have an opinion one way or the other I would like to express about the guy.

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

martin is jenman in drag!

@monopoly

[lmao] Bravo MartinW, and you did it without having to consult your faithful dictionary!!!!

WHO walked into what??????????[lmao][lmao][lmao]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Martin,

Inference has been made to you being a Jenman agent in the past. I think it’s ludicrous that as soon as someone expresses an opinion, people try to then make some sort of association.

Anyway, I am not sure anyone has to justify who they are or who they work for. If you have doubts about Steve’s work, you’re entitled to have your opinion.

And as for me, I read Neil Jenman’s website, and I support the work he does. We’re all entitled to freedom of association.

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.