All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Is re-gravelling driveway on i.p. deductable?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Hello. I am wondering if “topping up” a gravel driveway on an i.p. would be considered a “repair”, & therefore fully deductable in that year??? Any thoughts??[confused2]

Profile photo of WilkoWilko
    @wilko

I would think so. I am also claiming this on one of my ip’s.(i Hope i can) To be on the safe side, ask the person doing the work to say “Repair driveway” on receipt.

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Since your just re-topping it, you would probably claim it as arepair.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Yes Misty1,

Repairing the existing driveway is fully deductible in the year the expense is incurred.

If however, you were to up grade the driveway (eg seal it when it was originally gravel)then this would considered an improvement and is capital expenditure.

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Misty,

As already stated, repairing the driveway is a tax deductible expense, and if you wanted to justify the repairs (not that should have to) you could argue that it was necessary for public safety (tenants and visitors alike). As such it may be worth mentioning the need for the repair to your insurance company.

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Misty,
    I would agree with the above as ironically I’m actually considering doing the same with one of my IP’s. The only problem is that it’s built on a medium strip! When you back out, you’ve got to be going 100km’s an hour!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

It’s not a bad idea to take a photo of repairs before you do them just in case they’re ever questioned. My property managers send me digital photos before they commission repair work.
    Scott

Profile photo of SilverSilver
    @silver

That’s not a bad idea taking photos of the repair work depreciator. Never occured to me.

Ian

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.