All Topics / Help Needed! / Help Needed – Quantity Surveyor Or Not?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of FluffyFluffy
    @fluffy

Hi All,

I’m a new member as of thisevening. Hoping you can help steer me in the right direction. I normally arrange a quantity surveyor however the recent purchase is a home over 35 years old. Is there any point to getting this done?

Some advice would be great!

Fluffy :-)

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you use a QS who guarantees double the tax refund or a free report then what can you lose?

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of KavanKavan
    @kavan

Hi Fluffy & MH,

Can you clarify for me what you mean by a “quantity surveyor”? From my experience in the construction industry (and I know it is only in 1 area of the industry), a QS is involved in the measurement and costing of construction work. Refer http://www.aiqs.com.au/What_is_QS/index.htm .

I’ve noticed Quantity Surveyors referred to in these forums on a number of occasions, and want to expand my understanding! Is the term used synonymously with “building inspector” or “land surveyor”?

I’m not trying to be pedantic, just want to understand!

Kavan

kavan applegate
    architect

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

The QS will prepare a depreciation schedule. People in newer properties get some significant non cash tax deductions from these schedules.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of KavanKavan
    @kavan

Thanks Simon,

It all makes sense now! [suave2]

Kavan

kavan applegate
    architect

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Kavan,

Quantity Surveyors do a range of work – cost plans/estimates, builder bill of quantities, and tax work.

Not all QSs do tax work – too many rule changes.

Some do tax work and nothing else.

Fluffy,

There is a chance it will not be worth getting a schedule done on your property. It will depend on the depreciable assets inside the property. You are allowed to self asses assets, it’s construction costs where you need a QS.

If you give me a call today I’ll be able to explain this and you can tell me more about the property. If it’s straightforward, I may be able to help you sort out depreciation estimates without you having to spend a cent.

Scott – 1300 660033

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Fluffy,

Thats an offer you can’t refuse!

Cheers,

Originally posted by depreciator:

Kavan,

Quantity Surveyors do a range of work – cost plans/estimates, builder bill of quantities, and tax work.

Not all QSs do tax work – too many rule changes.

Some do tax work and nothing else.

Fluffy,

There is a chance it will not be worth getting a schedule done on your property. It will depend on the depreciable assets inside the property. You are allowed to self asses assets, it’s construction costs where you need a QS.

If you give me a call today I’ll be able to explain this and you can tell me more about the property. If it’s straightforward, I may be able to help you sort out depreciation estimates without you having to spend a cent.

Scott – 1300 660033

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of FluffyFluffy
    @fluffy

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies, much appreciated.

Mortgage Hunter, wow, thanks so much for your offer, I only got a chance to check this today so I have left a message for you on the number you provided. I will try to call again on Monday if you are available. Appreciate all the help I can get.

[biggrin]

Profile photo of FluffyFluffy
    @fluffy

Ooops, just realised it was depreciator that posted the offer – still getting used to this forum.

[blush2]
    Cheers,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.