All Topics / Value Adding / [moved] Investing with Developers

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“If I buy a house for say 1M, and the vendor will lend me 100k, would he get a 2nd mortgage/caveat/joint venture/etc?”

— a “promissory note” is recommended as confirmation of the loan arrangement between you and the vendor.

If the vendors debt is subordinate only to a primary lender [i.e. bank] – there are no other institutional lenders involved, then a provision can be included in the promissory note whereby the vendor is second to the primary lender in terms of repayment.

— Caveat: Latin for “let him beware.” in real estate transactions, it is a formal warning against the performance of specified acts.

For example, a caveat is usually lodged by the purchaser to protect his/her interest soon after an option to purchase a property is exercised or a sale/purchase agreement is signed.

— Michael

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Okay, I understand the caveat part, but am unsure as to the difference between a promissory note and a second mortgage.

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“unsure as to the difference between a promissory note and a second mortgage.”

They are more or less one in the same.

However, a “second mortgage” is more often defined as a mortgage obtained by way of a financial institution.

A “promissory note” is typically a formal loan agreement/contract between the borrower and a private lender – or facilitator that does not specialize in mortgage products.

In both cases the debt is subordinate to a primary institutional lender and is therefore at a higher risk to the lender. As a result, secondary loans generally demand a higher rate of interest [and fees] and/or equity participation.

— Michael

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.