All Topics / Help Needed! / Cracks found on double brick walls

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

We found quite a few cracks around the house we inspected recently. The cracks zigzac down 2 – 4 bricks. The agent told us it’s normal with double brick houses. Is that a potential foundation problem? If so we don’t bother to call in a building inspector.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Huey

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Mm, the agent may like to think it is ‘normal’ but in a full brick house the brick wall is structural so that can be an expensive problem.
    It is either the foundation moving due to dry weather conditions or a broken foundation that needs underpinning, (expensive).
    Call in the buidling inspector.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Huey,

As Marc said get a building inspection done. Sure things may be OK but the cracks could be the early signs to something more sinister. The cost of a building inspection is cheap insurance for mine.

Just remember the REA is representing the vendor and not you, they are not qualified to give that advice and the responsibility for due diligence falls to you. As such I recommend you include the need for a satisfactory building inspection report as one of your conditions should you decided to pursue this property.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hi Huey

I’m no expert but my Father in law is a bricky and I have learn’t a little listening to him.

A common cause of cracked brickwork is rusting steel inside the bricks such as a Lintel above a window or door. Our family have several propertys in coastal west vic where this has been the case.

I’d still get a building inspector in. Foundation problems might be another matter.

regards
    Purse

Profile photo of afloatafloat
    Participant
    @afloat

Hi Huey,

Being a registered builder myself, I would suggest that if you use a building inspector, ask if he/she has come up through the trade/s (either bricky or chippy) or is he/she an inspector come through the “paper trade”.

Sometimes it helps to have had “hands on” experience, especially with how the “cracks” come to.

regards

afloat – head above water

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

Thanks all for your inputs,

After reading your reply I think I should give it a miss. It’s a good price if I only need to do minor work for the bathrooms and repaint the inside. I just don’t like to worry too much later on. It’s not worth it.

Regards

Huey

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.