All Topics / Forum Frolic / Rather Scary

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

I think the artificial sweeteners you guys are referring to in the diet soft drinks are the phenylketonurics (don’t quote me on spelling – my medical terminology is not that crash hot!). These may or may not cause cancers, thereby being potentially carcinogenic – depending on which studies you read.

All of us at times may experience hypoglycaemia or its opposite hyperglycaemia, chronic constant swings in blood sugar levels can definitely trigger all sorts of problems with the pancreas and insulin levels, possibly leading to Diabetes!!! Aaaahhh, I have seen a lot of diabetics in my time, and as the years go by have seen a lot that lose fingers and toes due to poor circulation and nerve damage/loss of sensation – it would not be a pleasant condition to have –

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of bigbenbigben
    Participant
    @bigben

I have to tell you all that i recieved an email about coke about 6 months ago so me being the big scientist[grad][grad] i am decided to test the toilet bown theory as when i purchased my PPOR the toilet bowl was quite stained….you dont believe me do you[biggrin].
    Well my results are in and even thought i had left the coke in the toilet for over 3 hours there was absolutely no change ….So i bet y bottom dollar that nothing would happen to the nail!
    Well i have to admit that i dont really drink coke …maybe once a week but i do drink 2 litres a day of water without fail. Keeps me healthy so i dont look like this[fart]
    I just thought of something….does a bourbon and coke have coke in it?? oh crap i drink way tooo much coke in that case..Better make myself drink 3 litres of water to make up for it [thumbsupanim]

Sooner or later the man who wins is the man who thinks he can

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Just thought I would add to the discussion… A few years ago when I was on my 10 week final prac for teaching, we did a health bit about soft drinks with year sevens.

We found out that one can of coke has at least 13 teaspoons of sugar. One of those Red bull drinks has more than that plus enough caffeine in them to equate to nearly two coffees.

Oh… also if you want to think about something else that is wierd… that bread the “lasts” longer in the pantry (Around 7 days), my mate reckons as soon as it was brought on the market, within a week, behavioural problems in her school went through the roof. THe only thing she could put it down to was more than likely the additives in the bread to keep it ‘fresh’….

Yuck… Food for thought eh? (Pardon the pun)
    Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Scremin..

i read something recently about bread and additives..was ‘bad’ anyway..health food stores qand Bakers delight etc..supposed to be ‘better’ than convenience stores..

REDWING

We should put the nail to the test!!

NAIL Vs COKE

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

The Leeching part about coke in general (and too a lesser extent the other carbonated drinks) is correct. Similar results have occurred ironically enough from water, water where most of the mineral content has been filtered out. This results in the body, through osmosis (I think), in dumping minerals back into the demineralised waters to equalise everything…. the result is that important minerals are leeched out of the body just from drinking pure water.

Carbs for dieting are generally a no, for the normal intake they are fine in moderation though. Atkins diet due to the exessively high intake of meats and other protiens increase the chance of developing colon cancer greatly too.

Maybe it would be best to reduce carb intake by substituting ways of having your favourite foods. For example Turkish style pitas with pizza toppings instead of having the heavy bread based pizzas. Far cheaper too ;).

BTW you can’t win if you drink poppers and many juices, too high in sugar so go figure [confused2]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

My father used to carry an article in his wallet about a guy who died from drinking too much water !! He said that, and seeing what water does to the bottom of boats made him drink beer..he did however concede it was great for washing yourself in, the water that is..[biggrin]

You have a choice of CARBS, PROTEINS and FATs, consume them all in moderation.

There’s no money to be made in telling people just to eat a ‘bit’ less..It’s mathematics..

Regularly Eat 2000 calories..Burn 2000 calories..weight constant !

Regularly Eat 2000 calories…Burn 1500 calories..Weight increase..[oink]

[jerry]

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Scremin:

Just thought I would add to the discussion… A few years ago when I was on my 10 week final prac for teaching, we did a health bit about soft drinks with year sevens.

We found out that one can of coke has at least 13 teaspoons of sugar. One of those Red bull drinks has more than that plus enough caffeine in them to equate to nearly two coffees.

I read that a school kid eating a choc bar and a can of coke is having the caffiene equivalent of 6 coffees. I don’t know if this is true but can’t be good for a little kids regardless.

]

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear
    Originally posted by bigben:
    I just thought of something….does a bourbon and coke have coke in it?? oh crap i drink way tooo much coke in that case..Better make myself drink 3 litres of water to make up for it [thumbsupanim]

Ben, I had a conversation with my aunt the other day, and she’d been talking with her doctor about how much she drank etc. He asked if she had bourbon and coke (or [name your poison here] and coke) and she said yep. He told her that she should cut one of them out – as it’s the mixing of them that causes the problems. She said, fine, I’ll cut out the coke, and he said ‘precisely’! So now she’s just gotta find a drink she likes on the rocks……

although I admit as I type this that I’m drinking from a can of coke……

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

You can get wine in a can now – hopefully the kids don’t work out a way to make it look like coke. Although I don’t have kids. I’d rather see them have coke than wine.

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

.002c worth

i) Drinking 10 glasses of h2o a day, and spend half the day on the dunny.

ii) Scary thought number one- Ph of coke is well below three (ie acidic) it is that way so that more sugar dissolves in it, so it is sweeter. BTW Warren buffet (who owns a shitload of coke) says that most people prefer the taste of pepsi, cause it is about 4% sweeter. Now, eat a lot of sugar, and often, and get some more rotten teeth.

iii) Scary thought number two. Any ph less that 5.4 will dissolve a tooth (slowly, but surely). Yes, it may take a while, but it will erode (technical dental term describing the acid disolv ing the teeth away) any and all of the teeth. Particularly seen on the inside of the upper incisors (cause thats where it goes when you start to swallow), and on the biting surfaces of the 6 year old molars. Kiddies teeth are particularly prone to erosion, as the enamel is much thinner, kids often take longer to drink their drinks, leaving it on the surface of the tooth longer. Erosion can cause sensitivity to cold and sweet things, and is an absolute cow to try and treat (ie with fillings). If you ever see anyone with upper front teeth that seem to not be straight, the chances are that the outside enamel is starting to chip away, because the enamel has all eroded away on the inside.
    PS- above comments also apply to fruit juice (but dont get me started on that!)

Scary thought number three. Caffeine addiction. Ah, thats crap, not me. I just love the taste, I just feel so much better after sitting with my morning coffee with friends. What utter bullshit! The majority of the above feelings are indicative of caffeine addiction. (BTW, my definition of addiction- being unable to give up something NOW, with no ill effects or ill feelings). That morning sluggishness, instantly relieved by caffeine. Told this to many people, most of whom thought I was talking crap, or an anal mormon. An old next door neighbour told me if I had told her a year ago, she would have thought I was barmy. Buy, she had given up the coffee (a six a day habit), and put up with the lethargy, the crankiness, the headaches, all instantly relieved by any caffeine. Felt much better after giving it up, but it is a hard slog. Also, is much more socially acceptable than smoking, so the peer pressure is hard for most.

Best thing to drink – water or milk. At least if you are drinking milk you are getting heaps of nutrients, vitamins, etc, and at a fraction of the price.

Random thought- Why doesnt coke advertise anymore? Remember growing up, it was always on the box, with the big ball, and the good looking girls with the huge ummmmm, Im getting sidetracked, but you probably get the drift.

Random thought number two- remember seeing a doco once, which was using iv caffeine on premature neonates. Cant quite remember why- It was something to do with the heartbeat, and possibly the lungs as well (though not sure on that last point)

Unfortunatly, the majority of the original email is crap. It may be well intentioned, with a degree of journalistic credability, but unfortunatly, is a crap email of urban myths presented by well meaning folks. Check out http://hoaxinfo.com/cokeacid.htm or any of a number of urban myth sites.

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    Originally posted by wrappack:

Best thing to drink – water or milk. At least if you are drinking milk you are getting heaps of nutrients, vitamins, etc, and at a fraction of the price.

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

At the end of the day people will go back to their normal stuff, drink their coke, water……and eventually we’re all die…sad, but it’s true.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I used to be a bit of a health freak [freak], years ago. Vegetarian, eating health foods only.[sick2]
    Did it make me feel better?
    No![:O]
    I didn’t feel I was enjoying life to the fullest without my favourite foods. And it was a lot of effort.

My motto now is, I just eat and drink what I like, but eat the bad things in moderation.[:P]
    I like keeping it simple, no stressing [stress] about what I should or shouldn’t consume.
    I think we can be healthy AND happy if we just learn to balance our diet.

Celivia

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel
    I didn’t feel I was enjoying life to the fullest without my favourite foods. And it was a lot of effort.

My motto now is, I just eat and drink what I like, but eat the bad things in moderation.
    I like keeping it simple, no stressing about what I should or shouldn’t consume.

Good comment Celivia. Eating healthily can be very stressful, and stress can override the benefits of good food. In company of friends we will eat some things that we normally wouldn’t, just to not be a pain in the arse.

That said, I see many many Damascus Road conversions to healthy diet as people get older and start facing diet related health challenges.

As far as my wife and I are concerned, we may not live any longer, but we have a better chance of a good quality of life, well into our dottage by making some important diet choices now.

But each to his/her own.[exhappy]

Cheers

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

It’s like smoking to me. Yes I have to die one day. Life is sands through the hour glass. However it’s not the cancer re: fags, it’s the quality of living that puts me off fags. I’d rather live ten healthy years than 90 air gasping ones! Also re: fats/carbohydrates. Go see the film ‘Supersize Me’. One child in three in the US (and I imagine would be similar here) who were born in the year 2000 will go on to develop diabetes. One in four children in Australia are currently clinically obese.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.